The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home. It's a history of the author's family's summer home on Cape Cod (Wings Neck) with a lot of his personal remembrances of time spent there woven in. He is a lovely writer, and the book was a National Book Award finalist. I'm really enjoying it.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

1 members found this post helpful.

Currently reading The 80-Dollar Champion; just finished Wanted: A Girl for the Horses. About to try to find a copy of the new Atkins Diet book.
    Rack on!

I'm currently trying to read the books that are being released in movie form so I just finished The Host. Next will be World War Z, although friend has been telling me to read this book for ages anyway.

Mr Penumbras 24 Hour Bookstore was FABULOUS. So good I started reading it again once I was done

Oh, The Fault in Our Stars was also stunning.

I am reading "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness and enjoying it quite a bit.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home. It's a history of the author's family's summer home on Cape Cod (Wings Neck) with a lot of his personal remembrances of time spent there woven in. He is a lovely writer, and the book was a National Book Award finalist. I'm really enjoying it.
    That house is kitty corner across the neck from my uncle's home, and some of the local kids in it are my cousins! It's a beautiful area! The homes and properties are now worth millions.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I just finished "The Kite Runner." Wonderful book, but I am still recovering.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    Kahled Hosseini has a new book out titled, And the Mountains Echoed, which I am thinking about getting. I loved The Kite Runner. Has anyone read the new one yet?

ETA: Whoops! Just realized it won't be released until May 21st. I think I'll be ordering it anyway.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

I just finished reading The Help. For a while it was slow going, but at the end I liked it. I am currently reading some short stories by Wallace Stegner. Certainly a great writer, but not all my cup of tea.

The President's Club by Gibbs and Duffy.

I just finished The Riverworld Series. I'm not usually a sci-fi fan, but the plot is an interesting premise.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I am reading "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness and enjoying it quite a bit.
    Love this series... I read this and the next one right after then second one came out and was so upset about having to wait ages for the third book!

Finished "Clockwork Princess" by Cassandra Clare (the last in the Infernal Devices trilogy) in two days flat and went through an entire box of tissues doing it.

Then I needed something much lighter, and turned to "Dawn of the Dreadfuls," the prequel to "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," which must be next on my list.

Before that . . . Lost in Shangri-La, Garment of Shadows, The Lost German Slave Girl, and the manuscript of a friend's YA novel.

Just read The Still Point of the Turning World by Emily Rapp, next up are The Fault in our Stars by John Green, Far From the Tree, and Sticks and Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
    If you haven't already read it, try his "A Thousand Splendid Suns." I liked it more than Kite Runner.

I recently finished "The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I LOVED it, a quick but interesting read.
    Also just finished "The Girl who Chased the Moon" by Sarah Addison Allen, which was a fun quick beachy kind of read.

I'm finally reading Life of Pi now. I'm still undecided about it. I like it more and more as I get into it, but it's still kind of strange. But I waited six months for it from the library so I can't give up on it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    If you haven't already read it, try his "A Thousand Splendid Suns." I liked it more than Kite Runner.

I recently finished "The Language of Flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I LOVED it, a quick but interesting read.
    I found myself sobbing during parts of "A Thousand Splendid Suns". It was just heartbreaking to me. But a good book, so worth it.

I enjoyed "The Language Of Flowers" for the most part. Some aspects were a little hard to believe, but once I let go of the need to point out to myself that some something was not very plausible or realistic, I enjoyed the story for what it was.
    Sheilah

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I just added sooo many African Studies books to my amazon wish list. I'm going through withdrawal!

As for books I've actually read, most recent was "The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks. Very quick but excellent read, as his books usually are. Before that I read Ian Rankin's newest book "Standing in another man's grave." I loved it!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I just finished Atwood's "The Year of the Flood" and really liked it.

I'm now re-reading S.K.'s Dark Tower series, partway through "The Waste Lands". To whoever posted earlier about the series, I agree that it is awesome. Definitely my favorite epic series. I was a little disappointed at the end though...

I bought "The Scarlet Letter" and "The Bell Jar" at a recent book sale and am excited to read both.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

I'm reading At Risk.

Default The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ````` DELIGHTFUL READ !!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society !!!!

** simply a WONDERFUL READ !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I'm reading old stuff.

Pedro Martinez by Oscar Lewis. It's his classic decades long study of one family--in this case that of a Mexican peasant who uses hoe agriculture on communal land in the slash and burn tradition and has achieved status but not financial security through his active post Mexican Revolution political involvement.

The Sotweed Factor by John Barth. Very layered and difficult book. It's worth the work and also needs re-reading several times.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire