The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Just finished Anno Dracula - what a great read! It was way more than I was expecting it to be!

Now I'm reading Philip Pullman's Grimm's Fairy Tales - awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    I recently finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared. FANTASTIC! Laugh-out-loud funny, snarky, smart, and heartwarming.
    I read it a while ago, and really enjoyed it. I tend to like those Nordic writers

I am currently reading J. Boyden's Through Black Spruce because I loved his Three Day Road. So far so good.

Before that I read Atwood's TThe Blind Assassin which was quite good I thought.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I've read a lot lately, but most of it was junk. That said, I really enjoyed The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern (?).

I find that I'll read a lot (4-10 books over the course of a week or 2) and then not read anything for a couple of weeks. I'm in the not reading stage again.

Reviving this thread for a headsup on an interesting, terrifying non-fiction read:

Brain on Fire

Anyone who likes a well written piece of science writing will enjoy this one!

Kylie Chan - Dark Heavens Trilogy

I'm waiting impatiently for book 3 to arrive from Barnes and Noble.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

While looking for something else to listen to from audible, I stumbled across The Winds of War by Herman Wouk -- now, I read it back in the 80's when the mini-series was on TV (can you believe that I was reading so much as a toddler?! Nah, I really am that old!) - but this time around I am *really* enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to watching the series again on netflix when I'm done, and also moving on to War and Remembrance which is the sequel.

I like the long, follow the whole family sagas, especially in an audio book, since all those hours of listening occupy me while I'm commuting, doing the dishes, feeding ponies, etc. but, I had forgotten just how good this one is -- it has made me really more interested in a lot of the personalities behind WWII.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I just finished reading Hopeless by Colleen Hoover which held the top spot on the Kindle reading list for quite awhile. It ended up being about a 18 year old girl though, so it wasn't exactly my style but it was well written. It's good if you want to read a younger book with a good story line about relationships.

The Ways of Winter, by Karen Myers. Second book in her "Hounds of Annwyn" series. If you like hounds, hunting, and characters and situations out of Celtic mythology, this book's for you!

Read To Carry The Horn first!

Mad Mary Lamb: Lunacy and Murder in Literary London by Susan Tyler Hitchcock
    I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    While looking for something else to listen to from audible, I stumbled across The Winds of War by Herman Wouk -- now, I read it back in the 80's when the mini-series was on TV (can you believe that I was reading so much as a toddler?! Nah, I really am that old!) - but this time around I am *really* enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to watching the series again on netflix when I'm done, and also moving on to War and Remembrance which is the sequel.

I like the long, follow the whole family sagas, especially in an audio book, since all those hours of listening occupy me while I'm commuting, doing the dishes, feeding ponies, etc. but, I had forgotten just how good this one is -- it has made me really more interested in a lot of the personalities behind WWII.

Winds of War and War and Remembrance are two of my favorite books. I re-read them a couple of years ago myself and found them even more devastating than the first time around.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Reviving this thread for a headsup on an interesting, terrifying non-fiction read:

Brain on Fire

Anyone who likes a well written piece of science writing will enjoy this one!
    I read this book after seeing it on this thread. It is both fascinating and scary.

I can't believe the ER sent her after she had a seizure AND was psychotic, or a "top" neurologist wrote down that she was drinking two BOTTLES of wine a night rather than the two glasses and based his diagnosis on that.

Of course, it did take a while for her to get diagnosed anyway even after she was admitted....

Im in the middle of the $80 champion.

I just finished Robert Crais' Suspect, about a dog who has been wounded in war teaming up with an LAPD cop who has been wounded too. Excellent read!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    I read this book after seeing it on this thread. It is both fascinating and scary.

I can't believe the ER sent her after she had a seizure AND was psychotic, or a "top" neurologist wrote down that she was drinking two BOTTLES of wine a night rather than the two glasses and based his diagnosis on that.

Of course, it did take a while for her to get diagnosed anyway even after she was admitted....
    I was also FLOORED that the "top neurologist" had STILL not heard about her disease when she went back to chat with him about the case when she was writing her book. Her case and others had been published in multiple journals. He just wasn't keeping current, I guess? Blew my mind.

Also thought it was curious that she was case, what, 217? ever diagnosed, and now we're over 2000. Are we just able to identify the disease, or are people getting sick at a crazy increased rate?

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlake View Post
    I just finished two memoirs, both of which were excellent.

Chanel Bonfire by Wendy Lawless is about an abusive, narcissistic mother, as told by her oldest daughter. If you liked The Glass Castle you'll like this one too. Not as powerful in my opinion, but close.

An Invisible Thread is the story of Laura Schroff, a busy New York executive whose life unexpectedly intertwined with an 11 year old homeless boy who begged her for change. The book chronicles their friendship over the next several years and how they ultimately changed each others' lives.
    Invisible Thread looks good, it's on my wish list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I was also FLOORED that the "top neurologist" had STILL not heard about her disease when she went back to chat with him about the case when she was writing her book. Her case and others had been published in multiple journals. He just wasn't keeping current, I guess? Blew my mind.

Also thought it was curious that she was case, what, 217? ever diagnosed, and now we're over 2000. Are we just able to identify the disease, or are people getting sick at a crazy increased rate?
    I wonder if he was nearing retirement -- he certainly wasn't keeping up!

I would imagine the jump in diagnoses was identifying the disease.

She was lucky to have good insurance, and a lot of support from her parents and boyfriend.
    Last edited by grayarabpony; Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Invisible Thread looks good, it's on my wish list now.
    Great story!!
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

I am reading Shantaram now, LOVE it.

1 members found this post helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Spirited-Away-...=spirited+away

I never knew the depths of Cromwell's reign of terror
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

I've been waiting for weeks for an OTD just so we could resurrect this thread and I could gush about The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman. It's been years since I've wanted to go back and immediately reread a book just to have another opportunity to appreciate the writing and imagery.

It's set in post-WWI Australia and tells the story of a young couple who maintain a remote lighthouse, and the way their lives change when a boat washes ashore with an infant inside. The husband struggles with his sense of responsibility to find the child's family and report the event, and the more free-spirited wife sees the infant as a divine response to her inability to bring a child to term. Heartbreaking, happy, and deep. Awesome book.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.