The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I got The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for Christmas and I just wasn't able to keep reading it. It's about a boy who finds a book whose author has a mysterious past, and he is determined to find out what happened to the author and why all of his books have been burned, except the one the boy found. I made it about 1/3 of the way through.
    That's funny because I did the exact same thing! It's still sitting around and I have no desire to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    That's funny because I did the exact same thing! It's still sitting around and I have no desire to finish it.
    See now, I LOVED that book and it's one of my favorites!!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    I just started Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. It's the first one of his I've read and it's pretty good so far. I recently finished John Grisham's The Racketeer, and I enjoyed that one. It was better than his last one, The Litigators.
    All of deMille's are so spot-on that they're spooky. Especially the newer ones - such as The Lion, Lion's Game...

Have The Racketeer on my list - glad to hear it's good.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

1 members found this post helpful.

I just started American Nations - A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America by Colin Woodard (thanks for the underlining lesson, I had forgotten which was which). It's a history of the regional differences that exist in North American, how they formed and how the still affect politics and real life today. So far, I'm enjoying it and have great hopes that it will continue to be enlightening.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I recently read "The Cat's Table" by Michael Ondaatje. Loved it; I think it is one of his best books. My book club gave it a general thumbs up too.

I am now reading, for the same book club, "Famous Last Words" by Timothy Findley. I must admit, I am not loving it. I think it is technically a good bood but a bit on the dismal side I am afraid, which normally I don't mind but it has been a long cold winter and I need cheering up.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Luseride View Post
    Divergent by Veronica Roth. Very, very good. Then you can read Insurgent, book two in the series. I think the third one is out but not positive.
    I loved Divergent too. I have Insurgent but haven't read it yet. The third one isn't out yet, I think it's supposed to come out sometime this year.

The best book I've read lately (honestly, one of the best books I've read period) is Wonder by R. J. Palacio. It's really, truly fantastic.

I just finished The Eighty-Dollar Champion about Snowman, which I loved. I recently read The Talk-Funny Girl by Roland Merullo. Kind of a weird book, but a good quick read. I also enjoyed Prayers and Lies by Sherri Wood Emmons and These Hidden Things by Heather Gudenkauf.

I admit to reading nothing right now that does anything beyond entertain me on a very superficial level.

So with that, I have been devoring the "Beautiful Creatures" series (the movie is coming out in a couple weeks) and have been pleasantly surprised! They're all fairly well written and funny. Would definitely recommend for an easy, entertaining read.

I've finished a few in the past month that I liked.

The Presidents Club - A non-fiction book about all of the presidents since Hoover and how they interact with the current president. Very interesting.

Paramedic to the Price - A non-fiction book about an American who spends time in Saudi Arabia before and after 9/11. He spends his time as a paramedic in hospitals and in service to the crown prince.

Just This Once: Escape to New Zealand - A fun quick fiction read. A romance that has 3 other related books by the same author. Good books for a nice diversion.

I am reading Nerve: Poise Under Pressure; Serenity Under Stress and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
    which I got on my RI's recommendation. Fantastic book - I wish I'd read it when I first started riding. And it's a fun read, too. Based on good solid science but written by someone who writes for a living, so not boring at all. It's LOL funny in places. It's not horsey at all, but riders will see lots of practical advice in it.

Thanks to the person who recommended Rabid - my library has it and I can't wait to read it.

After I finish Nerve I'm going to start Wolf Hall which was recommended to me on OT back at Thanksgiving. It must be good 'cause I've been on the wait list for it at the library ever since and I just got it yesterday.

Just started Heft about a house bound 500+ lb. man.
    Don't have an opinion yet.

The $80 Champion.

I'm working on Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon. It's a little tough, because there is so much amazing information in there that it can be hard to take it all in. Raises all kinds of questions about disabilities, identity, culture, etc.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo.
    Fun, fast crime novel by a Swedish author, I enjoyed it very much and am going to look for his other books. Next I am reading my daughter's novel that she is getting ready to send out to agents.

Right now getting into Gone Girl.

Glancing over at The Power Broker by Robert Caro - 1974 - highly touted Pulitzer Prize winning biography of Robert Moses - about the building of the bridges and other major structures throughout NYC and how he used his influence to get them done - but lonnnng - over 1000 pages!

And finally have Sonia Sotomayer's new autobiography, My Beloved World waiting to be opened.

I also hated Wild through most of it. Thought her corny that she changed her name and invented a new one, seemed pretty wrapped up in herself. But it all came together at the end for me. Also helped to see an interview which raised my opinion of her quite a bit.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I loved Shadow of the Wind. I read the rest of his books, too.

I just read Unbroken, by Laure Hillenbrand which was excellent.

I thought Gone Girl was meh. Not as good as the reviews would suggest.

Love Jo Nesbo. Jussi Adler-Olsen is also another good nordic mystery writer.

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter is very good.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I must be the only person in the world who didn't like Gone Girl. I admire the author's considerable skill in manipulating the reader, but I hated all the characters and wish I hadn't spent time reading about them.

Right now I'm reading Insane City, a novel by Dave Barry. It starts pretty funny, but gets crazier and crazier as the book goes on. Since I'm in the mood for escapist entertainment lately, I'm really enjoying it.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

I just finished two memoirs, both of which were excellent.

Chanel Bonfire by Wendy Lawless is about an abusive, narcissistic mother, as told by her oldest daughter. If you liked The Glass Castle you'll like this one too. Not as powerful in my opinion, but close.

An Invisible Thread is the story of Laura Schroff, a busy New York executive whose life unexpectedly intertwined with an 11 year old homeless boy who begged her for change. The book chronicles their friendship over the next several years and how they ultimately changed each others' lives.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Ready Player One is a fun romp through 80's trivia.

Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are favorites.

I've been reading [listening to] The Iron Druid Chronicles and the Weather Warden series, though both were better at the beginning than later.

And for a change of pace, next up is Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World through Islamic Eyes.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I've got a few I'm meandering through,
    Creation by Gore Vidal; some stuff by Osho, whom I find quite interesting, World as Laboratory by Rebecca Lemov (a non fiction about human experimentation) and some Howard Zinn (love him)
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I recently read "The Cat's Table" by Michael Ondaatje. Loved it; I think it is one of his best books. My book club gave it a general thumbs up too.

I am now reading, for the same book club, "Famous Last Words" by Timothy Findley. I must admit, I am not loving it. I think it is technically a good bood but a bit on the dismal side I am afraid, which normally I don't mind but it has been a long cold winter and I need cheering up.
    Mozart, I have to admit that I am not a fan of either Timothy Findlay or Ondaatje.
    Most Canadian authors are just too gloomy for me.

Of course, my opinion of Ondaatje is also coloured by the fact that he was quite rude to me about 30 years ago - and I hold a grudge.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!