The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Reading "The Invisible Bridge" by Jule Orringer. Simply beautiful.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    I'm reading a clever and funny series titled 'Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies'. A hilarious book series that keeps the style and feel of Jane Austin but with a touch of ridiculous hilarity.
    The same author (Seth Grahame-Smith) wrote "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" and "Unholy Night" - I really enjoyed Unholy Night (to the point of saying "love"), though it's probably not everyone's cup of tea (basically, the premise is about following the story of one of the "three wise men" who were really criminals on the run, and how he gets tied up in the story of Jesus. It's rather violent, but also emotional and satisfying.)

I also just finished "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich. It just won a huge book award, and I thought it was really very good. No quotation marks in the dialogue, which may throw some people off, but was glued to that book right up to the bitter end.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I just finished Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. Lots of fun, and a quick read. I'm so glad someone read Robert Crais' new book. I'll get that one right away
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Just finished Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic, by David Quammen. It includes a chapter on Hendra virus. In 1995 Pulitzer-winner Laurie Garrett published a more readable book on pandemics, The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance, but her book is dated.

Now working on What It Takes, by Richard Ben Cramer. It's 1047 gonzo pages about the 1988 presidential election. It doesn't belong on everyone's reading list, but I'm riveted.

Quote Originally Posted by pondpony View Post
    Just finished Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic, by David Quammen. It includes a chapter on Hendra virus. In 1995 Pulitzer-winner Laurie Garrett published a more readable book on pandemics, The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance, but her book is dated.
    Have you read the Rabies book? If you like these, I bet you would like it! I found it FASCINATING.

http://www.amazon.com/Rabid-Cultural...qid=1360001055

I recently finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared. FANTASTIC! Laugh-out-loud funny, snarky, smart, and heartwarming.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Reading John Adams by David McCullough. Long...humbling (taught social studies - LOTS I didn't know :-) ).

Love Nelson deMille, historical fiction, well-written history.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I just started Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. It's the first one of his I've read and it's pretty good so far. I recently finished John Grisham's The Racketeer, and I enjoyed that one. It was better than his last one, The Litigators.

I've read allhis books except Unholy Night. I'll check that one out for sure. He's got such a creative style and I love how he takes historical tales and puts a bit of a twist to them. Have you read all of the P P and Z series? There are actually 3 books! I highly recommend the Ultra Violent Zombie Mayhem Versions!

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    The same author (Seth Grahame-Smith) wrote "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" and "Unholy Night" - I really enjoyed Unholy Night (to the point of saying "love"), though it's probably not everyone's cup of tea (basically, the premise is about following the story of one of the "three wise men" who were really criminals on the run, and how he gets tied up in the story of Jesus. It's rather violent, but also emotional and satisfying.)

I also just finished "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich. It just won a huge book award, and I thought it was really very good. No quotation marks in the dialogue, which may throw some people off, but was glued to that book right up to the bitter end.

Right now I'm reading 13 Reasons Why and it's pretty good. The last book that I LOVED The Fault in Our Stars. Such an amazing book, I was crying in the airport reading it, lol! Before that I read The Art of Racing in the Rain. So good!

I recently discovered the Flashman series. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Paget_Flashman) I hesitate to recommend it because it definitely is not something everyone is going to like. But, I love it. I'm up to book 5 in the series.

In short, Flashman is a fictional Victorian era English army officer with no redeeming qualities whatsoever (although he is said to be an excellent horseman) who the author has inserted into various important historical events of that era.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    I just started Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. It's the first one of his I've read and it's pretty good so far. I recently finished John Grisham's The Racketeer, and I enjoyed that one. It was better than his last one, The Litigators.
    Oh! Those John Corey books are really good! The 3rd in the series, Night Fall, is one of the best books I've read.

"Sans Feu ni Lieu" by Fred Vargas, I am pretty certain that they exist in English translation. Fabulous and slightly odd mystery series from France.

I wanted to go pick it up tonight but our weather is super crappy so I'm now going to wait til tomorrow to get it but I will be reading the book "Warm Bodies." I just saw the movie (hilarious and heart-warming!) and supposedly the book is just as awesome.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I just finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Absolutely fantastic. It's a memoir of a woman who hiked the Pacific Coast Trail, with no prep or hiking experience, after her divorce and the death of her mother.
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel

A really engaging and quick read (quick because you'll want to just keep reading!)

Just finished reading Orphan, book 2 of the Fae Prince of Fir Manach series. While it is aimed at a teen audience it is very enjoyable to adults too. If you loved Harry Potter, you will love this series! Now i'm anxiously waiting for book 3!

The first book is Thane

http://www.amazon.com/Thane-Prince-F...=k.r.+flanagan

and the 2nd book is Orphan

http://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Prince-...=k.r.+flanagan
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I am currently reading The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I am about halfway through and so far so good.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by flogarty View Post
    I just finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Absolutely fantastic. It's a memoir of a woman who hiked the Pacific Coast Trail, with no prep or hiking experience, after her divorce and the death of her mother.
    Reader beware. I strongly disliked this book. From the reviews it appears that people either love it or hate it. It is not about hiking or nature. It is basically another "recovery" story. Typical Oprah pick.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Reader beware. I strongly disliked this book. From the reviews it appears that people either love it or hate it. It is not about hiking or nature. It is basically another "recovery" story. Typical Oprah pick.
    I would not call it typical of the self-discovery memoir genre (which I generally dislike). The author was unapologetic about her poor choices and self-destructive life and honest about the consequences of her rash decision to hike the trail. The writing was also excellent.