The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What are you reading? What have you read? Book Recommendation (new thread)

I couldn't find the old "What are you reading" thread, so I am starting a new one. (I am bit surprised that this hasn't come up yet this OTD).

Has anyone read something that they've really enjoyed lately? I could use some recommendations.

For me (as I stated in another thread), I read three Gillian Flynn novels last month and enjoyed all three. Although, I think "Gone Girl" was the hardest to put down.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I just read two books by Laura Moriarty, I really enjoy her writing and recommend it.

I'm also currently reading Gangster Squad, the book the movie was based on. Book is, imo, much, much better than the movie. It reminds me a bit of Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit, with so much backstory and little details mixed in.

1 members found this post helpful.

I also recently read, "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" by Anne Tyler and liked that quite a bit as well.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm digging "The Other Woman" by Hank Phillippi Ryan. Very slick mystery written by a Boston-area investigative TV journalist.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

I'm reading The Hour I First Believed, which I picked up at the airport. Really nice character development, but a wee bit depressing--a fictional account of the Columbine shootings, focusing on a couple key characters and how their lives were affected.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I am a huuuge Stephen King fan. I think he is a genius. My favorite books are the Dark Tower series by him. Its kind of a mix between a Sci-Fi and a western, but it has suspense, action and even love in it! Its not really a horror like he is known for.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

2 members found this post helpful.

Was it beaten into anyone else that quotation marks are only for articles and short stories? My high school english teacher was very specific that book titles can be underlined or italicized.

Looks like all of the above are allowed now. How weird.

finished this one last week, enjoyed it quite a bit: Cloud Atlas
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Was it beaten into anyone else that quotation marks are only for articles and short stories? My high school english teacher was very specific that book titles can be underlined or italicized.

Looks like all of the above are allowed now. How weird.
    It really depends on what style is used - AP and APA are only 2 of many ways to reference books and articles.

The oldies from Project gutenberg*. Gutenberg.org
    Free(almost- I sent a donation), classic, and fast. Beat that!

At the moment I am reading McTeague (Later made into the silent movie 'Greed') and I wind up looking up each detail and most of them are accurate- did anyooned know there was aplague outbreak in San Francisco from 1900 to 1904? Was news to me before the book.

If you have an oldie book >100 years, the author allows or it is otherwise out of copyright that you can scan and isn't in their list add it!!!
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Divergent by Veronica Roth. Very, very good. Then you can read Insurgent, book two in the series. I think the third one is out but not positive.

Distopian novel, set in a futuristic Chicago. Very good and I find myself saying Dauntless when I need a touch of fearlessness.

I'm reading a clever and funny series titled 'Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies'. A hilarious book series that keeps the style and feel of Jane Austin but with a touch of ridiculous hilarity.

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (sorry Simkie, I'm quick replying and can't be bothered with the underlining...fwiw, it greatly bothers me and I should've taken the time it took me to type all this superfluous drivel to just do the other reply and underline the damn title! ) - good read but not my fave by her (fave is Prodigal Summer)

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (sorry Simkie, I'm quick replying and can't be bothered with the underlining...fwiw, it greatly bothers me and I should've taken the time it took me to type all this superfluous drivel to just do the other reply and underline the damn title! ) - good read but not my fave by her (fave is Prodigal Summer)
    LOVED Flight Behavior! Although my favorite of hers is still The Poisonwood Bible. I also read The Lacuna recently, which was very good. (Prodigal Summer is on my "to be read" pile!)

(Ctrl-I to italicize or ctrl-u to underline in quick reply, just like working in word )

Right now I'm reading The Secret Life of Pronouns which is quite interesting, if a little "textbook"-y.

Another I read recently and really enjoyed was Patchett's The State of Wonder.

Oh, and from the other thread: I read When She Woke, which was interesting, but more of a self-discovery novel, instead of the dystopian book I really wanted it to be.

I loved the book Shantaram.

I also liked Gone Girl

I got The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for Christmas and I just wasn't able to keep reading it. It's about a boy who finds a book whose author has a mysterious past, and he is determined to find out what happened to the author and why all of his books have been burned, except the one the boy found. I made it about 1/3 of the way through.

Now I'm reading 419 by Will Ferguson. It is about a Canadian family - the father, a senior citizen, gets scammed by a Nigerian scammer. The novel begins with his death (accident? suicide?) and his daughter trying to find out what happened. It also has some foreshadowing of the story of the Nigerian scammer too. I am definitely enjoying it so far.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

FWIW, I have to reply from my phone and couldn't get the underline to work hence the apostrophes. :-)

I am pretty much computer illiterate, so apologies in advance for lack of underlining and/or italics.
    My undergraduate degree is a double Honours English Literature and History, and I can't remember what you are supposed to do! - so much for an expensive education.
    I can read Old English though, if that counts.

I have a few books on the go right now, 'Sarah's Key' by Tatiana de Rosnay, 'The Englishman's Boy' by Guy Vanderhaeghe, and I am still plowing through 'Jump!' by Jilly Cooper.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I recently finished The Rook by Daniel O'Malley - SO GOOD. I cannot wait for the sequel!

If you like fantasy and big books, read the two by PAtrick Rothfuss that are out - I recently reread them and they're really so good. But, again, am dying for the third and who knows when it'll be out??

I also just finished the new Kate Morton - The Secret Keeper. Probably my favorite of hers so far!

Suspect, by Robert Crais.

http://www.robertcrais.com/

One of the main characters is a former Marine GSD, Maggie. She was stationed in Afghanistan with her partner. Later, she retrained to work with the LAPD K-9 unit.

EXCELLENT book!
    Last edited by nasalberry; Feb. 4, 2013 at 02:18 PM.