The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

Default I Hate my new HP laptop w/ Windows 8

Oh help. Got a new laptop for xmas. I am sooo confused with Windows 8. It keeps jumping between the new tile screen and the old desktop view. Things I'm used to using aren't there anymore like the iTunes is all different. Photos programs are weird. And I can't seem to figure out how to navigate this operating program! I feel lost!

anyone hate Windows8?
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

You can buy Windows 7 and just install that over Windows 8. You buy what is known as an OEM Install or System Builder package. Costs like $90 or so.
    SPACE FOR RENT

windows 8, 7, XP .... VISTA (the worse) 98, 95 ...yeah most all I hate ... oh forgot the NT grouping too

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    windows 8, 7, XP .... VISTA (the worse) 98, 95 ...yeah most all I hate ... oh forgot the NT grouping too
    No. . .Windows ME was the worst.

For amateurs like me, the constant changes mean nothing except that I have to re-learn everything in some new configuration. The one improvement I AM grateful for happened with Vista. It is nice to be able to have multiple Excel spreadsheets open and be able to click the big "X" and just close ONE.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

The Windows 9x generation was the best. That is when all the great games were out.
    SPACE FOR RENT

The Vista movie maker was pretty easy to use. I liked that!

But yes, you can buy a lesser operating system....sucks to spend nearly as much as the laptop was on the down grade!

I hope I can skip 8 by not killing my comp til the fixed version is out....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Ha! NT was better than Millenium!

Yeah, 8 looks like a cluster-f---- to me...no new computers here, and if I do, I'll install 7 over it! That 8 OS looks like a nightmare!

The 'kids' got us a new computer for Xmas. They refused to put Windows 8 on it, got the 7 program. Our son said that the Windows 8 had too many features that were meant for iPads, it would be too confusing for us old folks on a desk top.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by winfieldfarm View Post
    Oh help. Got a new laptop for xmas. I am sooo confused with Windows 8. It keeps jumping between the new tile screen and the old desktop view. Things I'm used to using aren't there anymore like the iTunes is all different. Photos programs are weird. And I can't seem to figure out how to navigate this operating program! I feel lost!

anyone hate Windows8?
    The Metro view (aka "let's pretend your laptop is a tablet" view) does suck, but you can easily get around this problem by installing Classic Shell (it's free). It will make your Windows 8 look like Windows 7 all the time without having to jump back and forth.
    http://www.classicshell.net/

or you can just teach Windows 8 to boot to the desktop instead of that ridiculous Metro screen.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/108349/how-...-in-windows-8/

FWIW, I'm not here to defend Windows 8. I'm actually a Mac user. But if it makes you feel better, Windows 8 does make some legit improvements over Windows 7, including...

Much better battery life (by about 30%)
    Eliminates access to win32k.sys (Eliminates many security flaws/exploits)
    Reset and refresh your PC (instead of total re-install of Windows--you'll appreciate this in a year or two when your machine isn't slowing down like old versions of Windows did)
    Native PDF reader
    Enhanced Task Manager lets you see at a glance exactly which app is causing your hard drive to grind to a halt
    Trusted boot (More secure)
    Consumes less RAM and CPU cycles than Windows 7
    Boots a lot faster than Windows 7
    Many hackers have already gone on the record to say that Windows 8 is (and will be) very hard to break into.
    Better Memory management
    Registry is more compact and faster.

I know that's no consolation, and I agree that they REALLY need to release a service pack. But in the meantime, Classic Shell will remove a lot of your day-to-day frustration.

1 members found this post helpful.

OP, you're not alone. I hate it
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

It gets worse if you work in software development and have legacy products to update for Win8 (at least I think so...). They made many significant and perhaps not fully baked changes for Win8 development so it's quite the headache.

I don't like how there are programs like Paint, Picture Viewer, and other programs that appear invisible until I accidentally happen to open picture viewer...

With no start menu, how do you find things that aren't an "app" on the screen?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Aaaaaaand this is why I got a Mac.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I don't like how there are programs like Paint, Picture Viewer, and other programs that appear invisible until I accidentally happen to open picture viewer...

With no start menu, how do you find things that aren't an "app" on the screen?
    Well, you do ask jn4jenny recommends above and you install classic shell:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Or you do one of the various things recommended in this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ows-8/1708953/

I have a new laptop with Windows 8 and I've gotten used to it, but I've had help, since hubby is a computer whiz. It is so different from Win7, it's akin to cultural shock, lol!
    But all in all, I like it, plus I do have a laptop that can transform into a tablet (twist screen - pretty neat!)
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Our son said that the Windows 8 had too many features that were meant for iPads
    This makes me laugh every time i read this as Windows does't run on iPads which are an Apple product.

Yes, install classic shell as suggested above and life should be much better.

Yup, THIS is why I went mac a couple years ago.

I have not had one virus.

Maybe you can sell and get a macbook pro. LOVE mine.

Honestly you would have a much easier time with a Mac. It's super easy to learn, similar enough to windows (IMO) that there isn't much of a learning curve, and they don't redesign every time a newer version comes out. Their drag and drop is AWESOME, the recovery system is better, and they are much less probe to glitches and viruses.