The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any Hockey fans out there?

Just curious. I am not a fan of most sports but I really, really like hockey for some reason!

I have always liked hockey but after I met my Boyfriend (who is from Detroit), I have become a Red Wings fan. (Gooo Zetterberg!)
    I was really sad about the lock out this year but have been super stoked since they've started games back up again.

ANYWAY I know this is short and not really specific but I just wanted to see who else out there watches hockey and what teams you follow!
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

2 members found this post helpful.

My 12 year old son plays and Mr. Stolen coaches his team. My son is a Sharks fan, and his number is 19 after Joe Thorton. Me, well not really into sports except I do like to see my son play, just don't like see any of the kids get hurt.

1 members found this post helpful.

Grew up watching hockey in my house (dad's side is French-Canadian). Chicago Blackhawks fan here! My brother, sister-in-law and I also have had part-season tickets to the AHL's Chicago Wolves for a few years now and enjoy the fact that they're relatively inexpensive and family-friendly but still a high level of hockey. We weren't entirely thrilled when the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers relocated to Winnipeg as Atlanta was the Wolves NHL affiliate. They're now the farm team for the Vancouver Canucks and as a Blackhawks fan it was hard to swallow (it STILL is!). It's also interesting when the Wolves play the Rockford Icehogs (the Blackhawks' farm team) because we're torn as to who to cheer for!
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

My husband's family is french-Canadian as well. Hockey is the only sport. I still have a soft spot for the Canucks since I am from the NW.

Hockey is the only sport that I can sit through an entire game.

Jets fan, but once playoffs hit I cheer for any Canadian team who makes it in. I like the Oilers, too.

Huge Sabres fan. Though after this weekend's games I am thinking maybe I'll just cut my losses on this season and root for my backup team, the Blackhawks. Sigh.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

SarahandSam, did you ever see the youtube video from a couple of years ago for the "Blackhawks Holiday Sing-Along Album"? Hysterical! Look for John Scott dressed up as an elf (I miss him!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR6mhS0KUq4

And Cabaret SK, I've been following the Jets also since they ended up with a couple of the Hawks' players when they had to dump salary after their cup win (Ladd and Buff), plus when the Wolves won the Calder Cup in 2008 Pavelec was their goalie. Been rooting for him to do well in the NHL.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Detroit Red Wings all the way! I sure do get some funny/dirty looks wearing my jersey out here in the land of the Ducks and the Kings. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    Detroit Red Wings all the way! I sure do get some funny/dirty looks wearing my jersey out here in the land of the Ducks and the Kings. :-)
    High Five! I cried when Zetterberg got a hat trick! (he's my fav player!)

I live in Utah so all the hockey fans here follow the Avalanche which was Detroit's rival for a while.
    I don't have a jersey yet but I have a cap that I wear all the time
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Hockey fan - checking in! But I am Canadian, so it's kind of a given
    I am a fan of the Ottawa Senators since they rejoined the league, but grew up watching Detroit (my brother's idol was Steve Yzerman)...
    My grandfather (mother's side) was offered a contract with the original Ottawa Senators, but it was the year that they were moving to St. Louis. He turned it down to stay home and work the farm... If he had lived to see it, I think he would have loved having the Sens back.
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

I'm a die-hard hockey fan. I was bummed out during the lock-out, but so happy now that the NHL is back. I've been a Pittsburgh Penguins fan for a very long time. I try to get to a game in Pittsburgh every year, but the lock-out messed up my plans for this year.
    I'll never forget my first game in the old Igloo, during Mario Lemieux's last year before retiring (the first time). Second best game I went to was a game 6 playoff game against Buffalo that went into OT. The Pens had to win to push it to a game 7. 3 of my favorite players scored in that game (Kovalev, Lemieux, and Straka...Jagr had a goal disallowed).
    By the way, I have way too many jerseys now. To name just a few: Lemieux (circa 1997), Ronnie Francis, Straka (signed by a bunch of players), Kovalev, Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury. Next one I want to get is Letang...with such a classic Pittsburgh number of 58.

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    SarahandSam, did you ever see the youtube video from a couple of years ago for the "Blackhawks Holiday Sing-Along Album"? Hysterical! Look for John Scott dressed up as an elf (I miss him!)
    I loooove John Scott! Especially the delighted grin on his face every time the refs are dragging him to the box. (; My fave current Sabre is Nathan Gerbe, who's 5'4", and so this picture delights my soul: http://sabresamerks.tumblr.com/post/...rbe-tweeted-by
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I'm a Sabres fan too. My favorite is Tyler Myers, but Gerbe, Eniss, and Ott are always fun to watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I loooove John Scott! Especially the delighted grin on his face every time the refs are dragging him to the box. (; My fave current Sabre is Nathan Gerbe, who's 5'4", and so this picture delights my soul: http://sabresamerks.tumblr.com/post/...rbe-tweeted-by
    That picture is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Sharing with my brothers, they'll get a kick out of it too.

Huge hockey fan but also Canadian so that is a given. Going through hockey withdrawals here in Oz. Do manage to see some games on tv randomly.

Also have been to a few of the Adelaide ice hockey games. They are probably at the WHL level but slightly older players. Do have a few canadians on the team as imports. lol

I cheer for any Canadian team but do cheer louder for Calgary and Vancouver. Also love most goalies since I was one for 8 years.

P.

Yep, but my team seems to have forgotten how to play while they were off - Caps. Ugh.
    You are what you dare.

Love hockey. Grew up in Detroit, so of course a Wings fan (So sorry to see Lidstrom retire!). But I've been in Nashville since the year before the Predators formed, so I've liked the Preds from the start!

I grew up as a rink rat. My brother played hockey forever. I figure skated for a few years. Then as an adult, in Nashville of all places, I joined a women's hockey league. What a total blast! Loved it.

Glad hockey is back. NHL seems to bounce back well from these silly stoppages.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

DH and I are both big hockey fans. He grew up in Denver (good college hockey town) and somehow became a Red Wings fan (though he does like the Avs). I grew up in the south with no hockey nearby....I simply started liking Pittsburgh when I was ten (because they're Penguins....yes, that's the reason). I've stuck with Pittsburgh through the years, though...and when watching games (especially playoffs) I still wear my Penguins shirt my Dad got me when I was in junior high. It's my good luck charm.

I also got into the semi-pro/farm league teams when I lived in the Hampton Roads area of VA (yay, Admirals!).

Mr. riv & I are from the Detroit area, so we are Red Wings fans.

He played all through school, including while obtaining a law degree. However, after 3 knee surgeries, he no longer plays. He coaches a high school hockey team.

Li'l riv is in his first year of mini mites.

We are definitely a hockey family!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Oberon13, that's so funny. I did the SAME thing as a kid. My favorite team for a while was the Penguins, simply because I liked the logo with a penguin on it! Funny.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde