The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crazy Idea for a Spooky Horse

Has anyone tried a blinker mask that race horses use, to help their horse not see scary things out of the corner of their eyes?

That might work, but I feel like if they heard something scary and they weren't able to see it, that would scare them even more.

1 members found this post helpful.

So, you have already tried fleece rolls? I'm not seeing a scenario in the H/J arena where this would be something I would understand. But I can understand the temptation You don't have a field of horses bearing down on your guy causing him to veer into other horses.

Is his/her behavior the same regardless of who is riding?

IMO:
    1) Eye exam.
    2) Work through it.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    So, you have already tried fleece rolls? I'm not seeing a scenario in the H/J arena where this would be something I would understand. But I can understand the temptation You don't have a field of horses bearing down on your guy causing him to veer into other horses.

Is his/her behavior the same regardless of who is riding?

IMO:
    1) Eye exam.
    2) Work through it.
    Its not for showing. He's retired and yes, does have cataracts. That is part ( or all the problem). He never had a problem seeing the fences. Its stuff off to the side. Vet feels his sight is good enough to jump ( which I'm not doing anymore with him. He'll spook with anyone.

I thought of it, and years ago, I even bought the blinkers. But I was afraid to try to ride my spooky guy with them on. I was also afraid it would make him feel claustrophobic and more spooky.

But I don't think it's a bad idea. Blinkers have been used for that purpose for years and years. Work with him on the ground first so he's not startled. Let us know if you try it.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I thought of it, and years ago, I even bought the blinkers. But I was afraid to try to ride my spooky guy with them on. I was also afraid it would make him feel claustrophobic and more spooky.

But I don't think it's a bad idea. Blinkers have been used for that purpose for years and years. Work with him on the ground first so he's not startled. Let us know if you try it.
    This is something where you need to work in baby steps. First with it on and and a halter, then bridle, under saddle at the walk and build up as you go.

If it fails, it fails. At least you tried, but if you can put this on a 2 year old TB on the track, who knows. But they say, trainers watch and test. Not all can tolerate it. Who knows

I'm asking various people I know and I'm getting caution which I can understand.

I drive horses. That said, I have some that are better with the blinkers, because they can't see what is behind them, and I have some that are better without, because they can see. You'll just have to give it a try and see what happens.

I also drive ponies and one of my guys does much better in blinkers. He can be spooky when I ride him, and look at things such as the mounting block lol! But if I ground drive him in harness, he never looks at a thing and has acutally never spooked. The blinkers work really well for him. I used to have a mare that was the total opposite. She hated the driving bridle and loved to be ridden. It just depends on the animal. If you try it, just do it in small steps. Put the bridle on and lead them around, lunge them in it and if all goes well, try riding in one. When teaching my guys to drive, I always ride them in their driving bridles first before I drive them. I have not had a problem with this (even the mare who did not take to driving, still did well being ridden in a driving bridle). I have broke quite a few ponies this way and knock on wood, its worked so far! Good luck

I have a racing background--grooming, galloping, and training. Blinkers work on racehorses to keep them going forward, yes. But it can also cause them to go FORWARD, if you know what I mean. Many, instead of spooking sideways, when they spook, they spook forwards where they can see. Not trying to sound rude with the next sentence, so please don't take it that way. If you are uncomfortable with your horse spooking, are you really going to be comfortable with them possibly taking off (bolting) if you end up not being strong enough to hold them? Just something to think about.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Have you had a chiropractor check him? My horse used to spook HORRIBLY ( I mean, i couldnt even ride at one end of the ring.) Chiro adjusted him and said he suffers from headaches which make him spook. After he was adjusted the first time.. NO MORE SPOOKING. He gets adjusted regularly every 6 weeks and the spooking has not returned.

as a teenager i rode my appy in a hood with cups, he was ring sour and would rear and go back at other horses. the hood/cups 'solved' his problem lol

not sure if you mean blinkers or by mask if you mean a hood with cups?

id definately be willing to give it a try.

May get flamed but since he is retired why not try a calming supplement. I'm using vita calm on my retired spooky guy. It seems to just help him think it through first before he spooks. It has helped him a lot, yet he will spook sometimes anyways lol but not near as often.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    May get flamed but since he is retired why not try a calming supplement. I'm using vita calm on my retired spooky guy. It seems to just help him think it through first before he spooks. It has helped him a lot, yet he will spook sometimes anyways lol but not near as often.
    Yes, can drug him. His cataracts, I believe are the problem. My trainer suggested a shadow roll. Again, I'm testing different ideas. Thanks to all for advice. But keep the ideas coming. We are here to help each other.

Saddle horses are ridden in a hood and blinkers because you want them moving forward. Not all of course but I've ridden a fair few Saddlebreds with them. Honestly, unless i'm in an enclosed area and know that my horse moving forward (sometimes forcefully) is going to be ok, I'm not having them on. If you head over to the driving forum you'll find that blinkers are more common here in America and is a constant controversy!

To each there own but for your issue, nope I wouldn't use them.

To all:

Working with my trainer with the horse using a shadow roll. He accepts it and seems to be helping a bit