The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Am I over reacting? (poor meat handling)

My dad has always been horrible about handling raw meat. My mom pretty much follows him around with a sponge as he handles meat, drips meat juices all over the counter, than touches fridge, oven, sink, etc with unwashed hands. The worst (IMO) is that he used to cook meat, then put it right back on the plate the raw meat was on, because he likes the 'juices'. A wife and 2 daughters going at him finally broke that habit for the last few years.

Tonight, I noticed he'd used the same plate that the meat had been defrosting on all day, complete with raw meat juice. I refused to eat any, but didn't make a big deal of it other than saying why I wouldn't eat any, than refusing every time he asked if I was *sure* I didn't want any. I'm not actually worried I'd get sick ( I spent my whole child hood eating meat this way, unaware of the risks), I just know him well enough to know he was very upset I wouldn't eat any and won't do it next time.

However, he still insists there's nothing wrong with putting the meat back onto the same plate, there's no chance of getting sick from it. What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I used to be a restaurant inspector. Puting cooked meat back on a dish that held raw meat is a huge, huge no-no. That is a recipe for food poisoning. Y'all are lucky you haven't been really sick.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Of course there's a chance you could get sick from it!! With ground meat being the most dangerous...more surface exposed to bacteria.

I'm no germaphobe, but I'm very careful handling raw meat. I keep a supply of heavy paper plates to make things easy...I can take the raw meat out to the grill on the paper plate, toss it in the trash and then use the clean plate I'll be serving from to put it on after it's cooked.

I won't eat meat that has been put back on the plate it was sitting raw on either. I'm less worried about say, steaks, than hamburger, but I'm still careful with it. Cooked meat or anything else we'll be eating is not allowed to touch anything that raw meat touched until it's been washed well...hot water and soap. And, I'm VERY careful with raw chicken...wash everything it's touched and wash hands well between touching raw chicken and anything else.

1 members found this post helpful.

Current thinking is don't even wash chicken before cooking it because as you wash it you spread raw chicken all over everything...

We drink raw milk but even we switch out the plate that has been sitting under the thawing meat!

I'm not a germaphobe either but if the meat is store bought and ground/processed or chicken, I'm pretty careful with it. A venison steak from our freezer I don't worry as much but I do switch out the plate-the meat gets a nice warm clean plate to land on when it comes off the grill!

2 members found this post helpful.

Considering they're now finding MRSA and C-Diff in raw meat...no way would I eat it.

I'm not a crazy germaphobe either, but I do wash produce, and I'm very careful with raw meat, poultry and fish.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Feb. 3, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You COULD, sure. Most people with a healthy immune system will dodge a bullet (if they didn't, half the people who eat in restaurants would be dead of food poisoning) but while you don't need to be hospital-sanitary putting cooked meat back in raw juices is less tempting fate than running up to fate's door, ringing their doorbell, hiding in a bush, throwing a bucket of water in fate's face and standing there laughing long enough for him to get a look at you. If you want your meat juicy, learn to sear it properly and let it rest before slicing.

OK, I admit I'm pretty lax when it comes to cross contamination. I'm also 63 YO and can only think of one personal incidence of food poisoning.

I've seen a study where a very large proportion of equine vets are colonized with MRSA. Do you wash your hands between handling your horse and eating or drinking?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    I used to be a restaurant inspector. Puting cooked meat back on a dish that held raw meat is a huge, huge no-no. That is a recipe for food poisoning. Y'all are lucky you haven't been really sick.
    Another past inspector. Definitely not a wise practice - old, young and immune compromised are most at risk, so the older he gets the more risk or if there are grandkids
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Do you wash your hands between handling your horse and eating or drinking?
    only if I have put it on the grill

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    OK, I admit I'm pretty lax when it comes to cross contamination. I'm also 63 YO and can only think of one personal incidence of food poisoning.

I've seen a study where a very large proportion of equine vets are colonized with MRSA. Do you wash your hands between handling your horse and eating or drinking?
    Yes.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

This is why I dont eat at either of my parents house. And yes I am a germaphobe.

I always try to wash my hands but if, for instance, I am holding a cup of coffee I won't worry as much. Should I??

OP... not overreacting at all.

Well, it wouldn't have bothered me, but I like my meat pretty raw .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I spent many yrs in grad school studying food safety stuff. My mother is a VET & she still refuses to follow proper techniques. It makes ME NUTS. she leaves things out on the counter to thaw or cool b/f putting them in the refridge. absolutely perfect conditions for stuff to grow. I will not eat any leftovers at her house & when I am there I follow around behind her putting stuff away.

When I was in school we did a lot of stuff on perceptions of risk. the "been doing it this way since you were in diapers" response gets exactly to the crux of it. The food my grandmother got hadn't been shipped across the country, brought into the store, into the cart, sat in the car, etc etc. The way that food is processed & marketed means that the risks we face are very different today from the past.

I know ppl who get food poisoning at least a few times a year & they claim they had a 24 hour flu (same ppl with poor handling techniques that I witness). Influenza is not a GI infection. If you are vomiting with diarrhea, pretty good bet you have foodborne illness (no matter what your MD tells you). CDC et al are trying to better track the sporadic cases of foodborne illness, but they are under reported or misidentified. Estimates are that they are widespread, and often due to mishandling food AT HOME.

All that said, there was a study done observing food safety experts in their own kitchen & even 'experts' don't follow all the proper techniques.

Handling greatly reduces risk, but it doesn't eliminate it.

Yes, that is really poor food handling and safety. No, you are no overreacting. Poor food safety is one of my biggest pet peeves, not just because I have a suppressed immune system but because it is just plain stupidity! And keep in mind if your parents have guests over he could inadvertently get one of your guests sick--they could be immune suppressed or pregnant or any number of other things. Most people don't know I had a kidney transplant I look totally healthy but still get sick very easily. I watch people prepare,reheat and store food like a hawk.

Fun fact--a lot of the time when people get what they think is a little stomach bug/the stomach flu it is actually food poisoning, especially around the holidays when relatives might be lax about food safety.

I think that you would probably be just fine, but better safe then sorry.

Besides, how many of us have groomed our horses then eaten a snack at a horse show. Every wonder how clean that horse show food is? Or how clean it is after we've been standing in a dirt and sand filled barn while eating it?

I'm very cautious about preparing meat...and no, I would not have touched meat that was put back on the raw plate.

I also wash my hands before eating after I've been with my horse, even if it's just with a hose and some soap at a show. I try, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I think that you would probably be just fine, but better safe then sorry.

Besides, how many of us have groomed our horses then eaten a snack at a horse show. Every wonder how clean that horse show food is? Or how clean it is after we've been standing in a dirt and sand filled barn while eating it?
    Yup
    FWIW, Mr p just had a bout with an intestinal disorder....after eating at Joe's Crab Shack. Our Frankophile son in law had seen an ad and thought it looked good....just when I thought I had been getting him to appreciate that it WAS possible to eat well in the USA
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Eww. I wouldn't eat *anything* at your parents' house, if that is how food is handled.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**