The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Soft water woes

In our current rental home it appears that we have soft water. That's not a huge deal but my hair hates it. After I get out of the shower (even with much rinsing) my hair still looks dirty and oily upon drying. It looks almost worse than when I got in the shower. Just gross and flat. I have tried the Lush solid shampoos on my hair and they are really the only think that work. They can be rather harsh and stripping IMO and can leave me with an itchy/dry scalp. I do color my hair as well so it is hard to find something color safe that also cleans my hair well. You should see my collection of tried and failed shampoos/conditioners in my bathroom closet.

My question is, any suggestions? We cannot install anything expensive or any of that to our well or anything since it is a rental. I feel that our clothes get clean but soap scum does build up easier in the shower especially. I've had a heck of a time finding any hair products that are specially formulated for such a thing. I know this could kind of be a dead end but I figured I would throw it out there.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Do you mean hard or soft? Soap scum results from relatively high concentrations of calcium ions which would be hard water.
    The Evil Chem Prof

My parents have hard water. Was never a problem at all until recently when they found out that EVERY SINGLE fitting in the house needs to be replaced. Sheetrock has to be ripped out.

Soooo life could be worse!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Do you mean hard or soft? Soap scum results from relatively high concentrations of calcium ions which would be hard water.
    I could mean hard. I'm not quite sure. Either way it makes my hair quite gunky.

I did see the thread on baking soda and vinegar. I just wasn't sure if that would be okay with hair color. I am hesitant with lemon juice since I thought lemon juice and sea salt (another good one for cleaning and volume) were bad for color. I could try it though. I mean, if it were to fail I just color it sooner and write it off as something that doesn't work. I'm naturally blonde and dye my hair dark brown/red so fading can be an issue. Then again, I rather have non-gunky hair when it comes down to it My hair is in great shape aside from that.

Yeah, that sounds more like hard water than soft. My 'house has very hard water and my hair always looked dirty when I lived there, shampoo didn't lather well and didn't rinse out well. My hair got easier to shampoo after I moved, it took me a while to figure out why. Even now, when I go visit my mother, I can't get the shampoo out of my hair in her shower.

Most tap water here in New England is very hard unless it's treated...it flows through granite to get anywhere. My current town softens the water at the treatment plant.

You can test your water for hardness/softness with some inexpensive strips you can get at a pet store that carries aquarium supplies.

If your water is very hard, you can buy a shower head that will soften the water...that would work in a rental as you could switch the head back to the original when you move.

1 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Needing more soap to lather well is a symptom of hard water. The soap molecules bind to the calcium so you need an excess of soap over calcium before you get sudsing. You can actually estimate the amount of calcium present in water by adding a soap solution to it until you get a lather, but you need to compare it to a standard of known calcium concentration.

There can also be pH issues as low pH (acid) converts traditional soap from an ionic compound to a covalent one that doesn't work as well.

I could go on...

When I moved from Southern California to New England (Providence, RI) I was astonished by how little soap I needed in New England as compared to California. That was in 1977.
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Our water is city water and appears to be softer. Takes much longer to rinse
    hair. Now that I have a front loader washer, it makes me feel better to always
    punch the extra rinse button.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    In our current rental home it appears that we have soft water. That's not a huge deal but my hair hates it. After I get out of the shower (even with much rinsing) my hair still looks dirty and oily upon drying. It looks almost worse than when I got in the shower. Just gross and flat. I have tried the Lush solid shampoos on my hair and they are really the only think that work. They can be rather harsh and stripping IMO and can leave me with an itchy/dry scalp. I do color my hair as well so it is hard to find something color safe that also cleans my hair well. You should see my collection of tried and failed shampoos/conditioners in my bathroom closet.

My question is, any suggestions? We cannot install anything expensive or any of that to our well or anything since it is a rental. I feel that our clothes get clean but soap scum does build up easier in the shower especially. I've had a heck of a time finding any hair products that are specially formulated for such a thing. I know this could kind of be a dead end but I figured I would throw it out there.
    http://www.southlandsoap.com/shop.html

I SWEAR by her products! I've been using them for about 3 years, and I will never go back to commercial soap and shampoo.
    * These products are designed for hard-water usage, but we have a Culligan unit, so it works very well with soft water, too!