The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I really do love dogs, but....

I need to fence my front yard because people let their dogs out at night and they all seem to love pooping in my yard.

And at the horse barn, note this is a horse boarding barn not a gawd drang kennel. Take your pooch to a dog park!!! Letting the dogs burn off energy running around, knocking stuff over, POOPING and being pests in general is beyond annoying. My horse isn't spooked by the dogs, even though the one rat heeler runs the fence line barking at her, but they always seem to knock at least one wheelbarrow over.

Argh... rant over. Yes I spoke to the BO about it this morning. I think she is pretty desperate for boarders and there are several peeps here with multiple horses (and dogs). I'm going to change my barn time and see if that helps.

Question to you dog owners: why do you let your dogs behave like this? Do you not see the danger? Do you not see how rude you are to the other boarders?

Now for a glass or two of wine. My world will be right in about 30 minutes. Sorry for the long rag.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

3 members found this post helpful.

One of the boarders (who is obnoxious in her own right with the horses, but I'll just stick to the dogs for the sake of keeping it short) has an obnoxious dog who just barks, barks, barks, and another older one who pees on everyone's hay. She keeps the barker on leash, but the pee-er is loose all the time. He's learned to make himself scarce when I'm around because I will throw things at him/chase him/etc. That hay is nearly $20/bale, and it is NOT YOUR DOG'S FREAKING BATHROOM.

The western trainer also has 3 border collies that, while well trained, also have a habit of crapping on the hay. They are less insolent, and it is less frequent, but still equally annoying.

It is also worth noting that anytime I bring my dog to the barn, she is on leash, tied up when my hands are busy, and I always pick up her poo. She does tend to whine obnoxiously when there's not enough people paying attention to her, but that's why I rarely bring her to the barn.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Question to you dog owners: why do you let your dogs behave like this? Do you not see the danger? Do you not see how rude you are to the other boarders?
    One of my best friends has two biggish dogs. She lets her dogs behave like that because she honestly doesn't see their behaviour as annoying or disruptive. And, yet, she will complain when other people's dogs do the same things hers do. It's like having kids. You just don't see it in your own.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't currently board my horses, but when I did, I rarely brought my dog to the barn. If I did, if no one was there, I would let him out of my car (but keep him tied some where). If anyone showed up, he immediately went in the car. If someone was there, he stayed in the car.

Dogs at the barn are a huge pet peeve of mine- especially ill-behaved ones that chase horses, run up behind tied horses barking and spook them, and act like they are going to take your head off when you pull up to the barn/get out of the car.

I dislike the peeing on the hay too.

I don't bring my dogs to the barn for that very reason. I'm there to ride/groom/be with my horses and I don't want to deal with the dogs. I have seperate dog time when I'm not at the barn. If I were at a barn that dogs were permitted and any of the above listed disruptive dogs were there, I'd catch them, hand them to their owners once. If that didn't work, I would speak to the BO once. After that, the BO would lose me as a client. I love my dogs and I love my horses, but I pay good money to ride safely and without worrying about my stuff being damaged/ruined.

I LOVE DOGS. when they are my own dog... I almost always HATE other people's dogs. I had a mare rear over backwards on me because of a dog running up behind her in an arena.
    in general, dog owners seem to be completely disrespectful.
    at the barn I ride at there are a ton of dogs running around, but luckily they stay out of the arena. but they also shit all over in the hallway where we tack up.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I don't let my dogs behave like that...it's my job as a dog owner to do the best I can to make sure they don't offend anyone else. Neither dog is allowed to run loose in the neighborhood, ever. I'm always outside with them in the yard, one is a barker and she is brought right back in the minute she starts. No one likes to listen to that.

I take one dog to the barn occasionally, when it's not too hot or cold for her to sit in the car. If it's quiet, I'll bring her in the barn on a leash and tie her and she can watch me groom, eat a little manure and catch some petting from the teenaged girls, she goes back in the car when I ride because she'll whine and cry. If the barn is very busy or there is someone there who I know doesn't care for dogs (or another dog she doesn't get along with), she spends the whole visit sitting in the car.

I used to teach dog obedience classes, and I used to tell people, some basics of polite dog ownership. Dont let your dog jump on people, I have chronic pain, and it hurts. Clean up their poop, its a matter of hygiene. Ask permission before you bring your dog to someones place, maybe they dont want your dog there. When you go to the vets dont let your dog approach other animals or people, you dont know what they have and they dont need to be stressed out by your approach if sick.
    Most had no idea what so ever about these things. Guess it just never occurs to them.

4 members found this post helpful.

I love dogs. We have 4 of them. I keep my horses in our back yard and I don't even allow my dogs in the barn/horse area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    I love dogs. We have 4 of them. I keep my horses in our back yard and I don't even allow my dogs in the barn/horse area.
    It's funny that you mention this. I didn't even think about that, but I do the same thing. I have four dogs as well, and we keep our horses at home too. And I don't ever bring the dogs to the barn/horse area. They have their areas (around/near the house), and the horses have a separate area- still close to the house, but outside of the area that the dogs go.

I wonder how many other people are also like that? I would imagine that we might be the exception rather than the rule as far as dogs at home around our own barns.

Default I prefer to leave them at home

I love dogs and children. But I like quiet polite dogs/children who when they are at a barn keep to themselves and stay out from underfoot. For this very reason I leave my dogs and my child at home when I come to the barn to ride. That way I get to put 100% of my attention on the horse, the instructor etc. When I do bring my 6yo child to the barn I leave the dogs at home, I do not ride myself so I can focus on dd and her horsie time. When I bring the dogs (and I very rarely do) I bring them alone, without dd.... and when I'm not riding. The dogs and child still need "training" in how to behave at the barn in a safe and courteous manner...so I have to keep my attention on them... and not ride when they are at the barn...

I've noticed that so many horse people that I know (and respect) insist on impeccable manners out of their horses (ie; don't allow their horses to walk over top of them when leading on the ground and etc) and yet they allow their dogs to have terrible manners.......they invest little to No time in training the dog.

You can get dog repellers, they are a higher pitch than people can hear, and as I recall, one is shaped like a bird house, and reacts to motion with a piercing shriek that repels dogs. http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Outdoo...sonic+repeller Here's one on Amazon. Since PetSafe makes it, then I'm sure they have it everywhere pet supplies are sold. I believe it has a large range also.

By the way, in my opinion the people who let the dogs out very late and very early, or let them poop on your lawn during walks know exactly what their animals are doing. They don't want to clean up poop, so your lawn works just fine. The guy next door has no fence, and when he lets the dog out it poops on his lawn and never leaves the property. Wifey isn't so careful, and so one day he took a dump right in the middle of my lawn. I took a shovel, scooped and took it home. I placed it right in front of the door, and rang the bell. I explained that once was 'accidental', but next time it would be on her car hood. She got the point, and never mentioned anything about it. The only time her dog wandered after that was when they were moving, and her dog went out to say Hi to a couple of passing, leashed dogs. Their owners were not amused, and she got cussed out royally-yes, I was laughing myself silly over it too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I just dont get why people think its ok for their dog to poop in someone elses lawn. We have a property in town that has a large lawn. New neighbors move in and started driving and parking in our lawn, as well as letting their dogs potty there. So we fence the lawn. They were actually walking their dogs around the fence and onto the lawn to potty. So my DH asked if there was some reason they used our lawn as a litter box for their dogs. (DH stood right there and witnessed it) The guy says " we dont have any dogs." So my husband said "ok well who ever had the dog in your building that just walked it on my lawn needs to stop ,or things aint gonna be pretty.

No boarders' dogs allowed at my barn. The live-in assistant trainer has a little corgi puppy and he is very well behaved, but he is not give free run of the place. I'd go ballistic with loose dogs running around pooping and peeing - and on the HAY?!?!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I do t let them behave like that. Easy answer: my dogs are trained. I take my dogs to the barn when I know it's not busy, and if horses are out, they are leashed to a fence (non-barkers, important note!) They only get to come out and play when everyone's done riding. On the poop issue? My border collie lets me know, if for some reason I don't see her, she comes over with a huge grin and kicks the ground. My lab poops in the bushes, in the swamp, so that doesn't matter (we worked on pooping in bushes as a puppy, he's so good.) It's not the dogs faults, ever, it's the owners faults. Dogs are pretty equivalent to what you put in them, even dogs like huskies. I have to work extra hard and put more of myself into the husky, but I have his complete respect and attention, and considering he's not my dog, I'm the only person with the level of respect and attention. He could care less with his owners.

I do have one oops moment, my horse, and 2 of my friends horses were grazing in pasture together (all dog friendly, used to dogs running under foot, always double check!) and the pasture consisted of poles + one strand of Hotwire, which one side was dropping down and I didn't realize how low. Husband was throwing a jolly ball for the lab, across the pasture (again, horses didn't bat an eye!) and threw it too far, and like a fat kid winning a marathon, my lab ran straight through the hot wire and snapped it. The horses just looked, and politely stepped over and went on grazing, and my dog was ultra proud of himself. Woops.

Quote Originally Posted by murieics View Post
    It's funny that you mention this. I didn't even think about that, but I do the same thing. I have four dogs as well, and we keep our horses at home too. And I don't ever bring the dogs to the barn/horse area. They have their areas (around/near the house), and the horses have a separate area- still close to the house, but outside of the area that the dogs go.

I wonder how many other people are also like that? I would imagine that we might be the exception rather than the rule as far as dogs at home around our own barns.
    Add me to the 'horses at home, dogs kept seperate from them' people.

For me it's mostly because:
    1) I've almost always had at least one dog-intolerant horse
    2) Over the years I've seen tons of serious injuries on canines caused by horses

So in my case it's to keep my dog(s) safe. I've had horses that will charge any canine and it's really not possible to train a horse to always be predictable around dogs if that horse really has issues with them.
    And while a many dog injuries were caused by poor canine behavior around the horses and/or aggressive horses...quite a few were caused by complete accident with a well behaved dog and a non-aggressive horse. Broken paws, broken legs, broken jaw, broken ribs, etc...caused from kicking at a fly at the wrong time, an unexpected spook, playing together and bad timing, etc.

Of course there are plenty of dog/horse combos that work just fine. And in many cases dogs and horses are expected to get along together. But in some cases...it really is safest for both (especially the dogs) to keep them apart. Heck, I had a mare that I *thought* wouldn't be a problem when she was stalled and my dog came down to the barn for night feeding with me. Her head flew out of her stall window and grabbed a mouthful of fur and back skin in a split second, the dog was just walking past following me. After that I just figured it was best to train all dogs here that horse area = Oh HELL No Area.

On the down side, I don't have the option often to trail ride and exercise dogs at the same time. On the bright side...I have zero worries about loose dogs harassing my horses.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Unfortunately general consideration for others seems to be in short supply which extends to responsible pet ownership.

I have 2 dogs. Only one is allowed to come to the barn. We started "barn training" at about 12 weeks. Beyond getting him used to horses so no chasing or barking, this included no running under fence lines, "waiting" outside gates, stall doors, etc. for my return or an invitation to enter, a soft heel on my left side for keeping him nearby and a using specific potty spot away from the barn.

Everyone is happy to see my dog when we arrive at the barn and ask about him when he stays at home. A well behaved dog is a pleasure to have around the barn but its on the dog owner to put in the training time to create that or be considerate enough to leave your dog at home.

I think the vast majority of people who own dogs don't have the slightest idea how to teach them how to be polite and well-behaved. So since they don't know how to fix the rude behaviors, they just learn to tolerate them. And then of course they go around inflicting their rude dogs on other people. If you've only ever met rude dogs, you would probably think that's just how dogs are, nothing you can do about it, you just accept it.

Like parents- most parents don't have any idea how to raise well-behaved children, so they end up with rude little hooligans and they get de-sensitized to the horrible behaviors of their offspring to the point where they think it is normal. And the rest of us recoil in horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I used to teach dog obedience classes, and I used to tell people, some basics of polite dog ownership. Dont let your dog jump on people, I have chronic pain, and it hurts. Clean up their poop, its a matter of hygiene. Ask permission before you bring your dog to someones place, maybe they dont want your dog there. When you go to the vets dont let your dog approach other animals or people, you dont know what they have and they dont need to be stressed out by your approach if sick.
    Most had no idea what so ever about these things. Guess it just never occurs to them.
    Where have you been my whole life?! We need one of you in every county in the US.

Now back to the same old dog thread...

A friend moved into a large, fenced suburban property, and she owned several large dogs. The first morning her dogs went nuts barking out the back window. A woman had a small dog on a leash, in my friend's back yard, and it was pooping and peeing all over the yard. When my friend walked outside, and mentioned that someone lived in the house now, the lady looked at her like she was crazy for even mentioning that. My friend had to explain that she lived there now, and her fenced yard was not a dog park, and that the woman was lucky my friend's big dogs weren't in the yard right then. The other woman said nothing, but just left. A while later my friend saw the woman 'walking' her dog again, and it was in my friend's front yard this time. The other neighbors mentioned that this woman pulled stunts like this all of the time, and apparently acted as if she owned every house in the neighborhood, and trespassed regularly. Everyone in the neighborhood was glad when she moved out.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White