The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Be careful not to just take "organic" as automatically equaling better, especially if your choice is local small farmer produced vs big company organic. Getting the legal right to use "organic" on your labels is VERY expensive and many small farmers just don't see the value, even though what they do actually IS organic.
    We try to buy most of our veggies from local farms, and did a CSA last year along with our own garden. Yes, I agree buying locally is always preferable to grocery store, and I will always go out of my way to buy from the ones who use the non GMO seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    C'mon, now, you're a better researcher than this!

Here in the article they show how the group came up with their findings:

"The Stanford team based their findings on an examination of data from more than 200 previous studies of the health advantages of organically grown foods covering four decades of research"

Basically, a bunch of people read a bunch of articles and they came up with the article you referenced. Even my hard core pro-GMO friends have backed up the truck on supporting this piece of research.

Yep, as an organic farmer, I defintely buy organic.

My own personal motto is: "if it makes bugs twitch and die, what's it doing to me?"
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

1 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I are trying to go the Organic/ non-gmo way. It's way harder than we thought. For some store-bought veggies, we end up choosing "conventionally grown" veggies instead of organic simply because of the cost prohibitness. If you look at the little stickers on the produce you can tell. If the 4-digit number starts with a 4, it is "conventionally" grown. With a 9, it's organic. With an 8...STAY AWAY! GMO!
    The cavet to that is that using an 8 to label GMOs is optional, and most companies actually don’t use an 8 if the produce is genetically modified. So just be aware of this when you are seeing that 4 in the beginning of your PLU code. Genetically Modified foods are not regulated and do not require labeling.

The biggest thing that we have tried to cut out is all of the pre-packaged convenience foods. I make my own bread, taco seasoning, Shake-n-Bake, tomato sauce (though since we didn't have a garden this year, I have to use store-bought canned tomatoes). ETC. We aren't fanatical, but we are taking steps toward a healthier life.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    C'mon, now, you're a better researcher than this!

Here in the article they show how the group came up with their findings:

"The Stanford team based their findings on an examination of data from more than 200 previous studies of the health advantages of organically grown foods covering four decades of research"

Basically, a bunch of people read a bunch of articles and they came up with the article you referenced. Even my hard core pro-GMO friends have backed up the truck on supporting this piece of research.

Yep, as an organic farmer, I defintely buy organic.

My own personal motto is: "if it makes bugs twitch and die, what's it doing to me?"
    I think that is called a meta study and is standard scientific protocol for defining issues as this one.

Sorry their findings didn't agree with what you choose to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Yeah, my opinion as far as the hype on GMO...

Y'know what's worse than genetically modified food?

Starving to death.

Earth's population is not sustainable with local/organic/green farming methods.
    Yeah...big difference between starving to death and GMO.

I try to eat local foods and sustainably grown (v. certified organic) if I can find it. Organic is also great, but so many small farms can't get certified (or don't want to bother with the annual expense) so they are not technically organic but use organic and/or sustainable growing methods.

Another goal I have this year is to avoid food waste. http://www.ted.com/talks/tristram_st...e_scandal.html

Maybe if we didn't throw so much food away we could feed the world's population!

The Environmental Working Group has a list of the "Dirty Dozen" for fruits & veggies that you should buy organic, and another list of the "Clean Fifteen" that are lowest in pesticides: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

They have a pdf version that you can print out and carry with you when you go shopping (essential for a poor memory like mine!)

I have heard this before, many times,...but what does the 7 mean? I have seen 7's on produce that I get at my health food store that claims to sell only non GMO/organic produce.

Bluey, I just got on and I am about to go to bed. I will fix that link tomorrow. If OT day is closed I will PM you the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    My husband and I are trying to go the Organic/ non-gmo way. It's way harder than we thought. For some store-bought veggies, we end up choosing "conventionally grown" veggies instead of organic simply because of the cost prohibitness. If you look at the little stickers on the produce you can tell. If the 4-digit number starts with a 4, it is "conventionally" grown. With a 9, it's organic. With an 8...STAY AWAY! GMO!
    The cavet to that is that using an 8 to label GMOs is optional, and most companies actually don’t use an 8 if the produce is genetically modified. So just be aware of this when you are seeing that 4 in the beginning of your PLU code. Genetically Modified foods are not regulated and do not require labeling.

The biggest thing that we have tried to cut out is all of the pre-packaged convenience foods. I make my own bread, taco seasoning, Shake-n-Bake, tomato sauce (though since we didn't have a garden this year, I have to use store-bought canned tomatoes). ETC. We aren't fanatical, but we are taking steps toward a healthier life.

I think some of the "sustaining the world" stuff gets into maybe not having such a huge freaking population. Also, there are some good documentaries out there about how absolutely wasteful we are as Americans. I work next to Trader Joes, I know EXACTLY how much stuff that's still good, gets thrown out. People digging through the dumpsters is not uncommon, and not uncomfortable either, because it's happens all day long, everyday. And they always come up with good stuff to eat.

To answer: yes, I am trying to go GMO free and organic/local, with care as organic or non-organic doesn't always mean what it should. (ie small farms not being financially able to be labeled organic, and organic places Doing the minimum amount.) I live a few miles away from John Givens farm, which is the biggest organic farm in America as far as I've been told.

His bacon is perfection, btw, literally melt in your mouth, tasty and scrumptious. I haven't ever tasted anything like it, and I love it.