The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,759

    Default Going Organic. Who else is doing it?

    We have started trying to eat almost all organic. Last year we got a 1/4 of an organic grass fed locally raised cow. BEST MEAT EVER. And we found a place in town you can get boxes or organic veggies and fruit for an amazing price. Both DH and I not only can taste the difference but we also feel better. Have also swapped out our milk for raw organic pasture fed milk. And even got a half an organic lamb. We not only eat less but like I said feel better. Have even cut out soda, though I will not give up my starbucks!

    Anyone else trying to switch to as much organic and non processed food as possible?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2002
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    814

    Default

    Count me in! Not that I have managed to find ANY bargains on organic, but I'm at least switching to organic for the most health-critical items. I've tried raw milk once and probably will go back to it... I'd been buying goat's milk instead (it's pasteurized, though) but realized today that I've been paying almost $10 for a 1/2 gallon! too rich for my wallet

    by the way, my switch to organic & foods that are as non-processed as possible is due to "The Science of Skinny" by Dee McCaffrey. Really worth the read, folks!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    I am paying $5.25 gallon for my milk. And check http://www.therecessionbuster.com/pick-up.htm that's the place that is delivering the boxes of fruit and veggies we are getting. Cheaper than the grocery store and the stuff is so yummy and fresh And they are doing it all over the US



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Not organic, but I am trying to go as local as possible. I get most of my meat from the year-round farmer's market, and many fruits/veggies too.

    But I'm unwilling to give up out of season or exotic fruit And I neither know nor care where my oatmeal comes from.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I just did! I am doing so more for weight loss - I don't eat Dairy, wheat or any type of sugar. All my veggies and meats are organic. I feel so much better since going organic and I've dropped weight just from doing so.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    5,041

    Default

    Our local is organic so I buy organic/local when I can. Our big supermarket has most everything organic, so I buy that as well.I really want to support argiculture that are making the extra effort to provide quality and not just quantity.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,464

    Default

    We do as much local and organic as we can. We grow our own organic veggies, we buy beef from a friend who does organic grass fed, we did a CSA last summer (sadly of the now ill-famed Grant Family Farm...not sure what we'll do next year) and we do local raw milk, butter, and cream. I've not been able to find a source for local chicken, so we get organic from Whole Foods. We were able to get a side of pasture raised organic pork from Grant before they went under, too.

    Eating real food and limiting wheat has really improved how I feel.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    3,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I feel so much better since going organic and I've dropped weight just from doing so.
    Congrats on the weight loss. But you can probably attribute it to not eating wheat/sugar, rather than your organic veggies! (Unless you're just eating less because it's so bloody expensive).

    I don't give any thought to "organic" or not but I do try to buy fruits/veggies locally for the 3-4 months of the year they are available this far north.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss. But you can probably attribute it to not eating wheat/sugar, rather than your organic veggies! (Unless you're just eating less because it's so bloody expensive).

    I don't give any thought to "organic" or not but I do try to buy fruits/veggies locally for the 3-4 months of the year they are available this far north.
    You are right:

    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...rs-farm-runoff


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Out for Lent
    Posts
    34,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    I am paying $5.25 gallon for my milk. And check http://www.therecessionbuster.com/pick-up.htm that's the place that is delivering the boxes of fruit and veggies we are getting. Cheaper than the grocery store and the stuff is so yummy and fresh And they are doing it all over the US
    well, your organic milk is still cheaper than our local 'brand' moo-juice...
    hey, if you can swing it, more power to you.


    I don't worry too much about 'organic' vs regular.

    But buying locally produced things (of any kind, really) is a definite plus.

    I should spend more money at the local dairy farm, but sheesh...the little milk we use...I keep forgetting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    Tampa Fl.
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    I go organic and local. Being in Fl, I have a long grow season and my farmer, who I know personally, grown hydroponically.

    In regards to the above article; while it has been proven that organic vs conventionally grown crops have no higher nutritional value, they are not subject to DNA modification which I do avoid. I am not a fan of injecting my tomatoes DNA with alien (non tomato species) DNA just so they have a longer shelf life. I would rather buy in smaller quantities and more often than lose flavor and injest something my body is not familiar with. There is a direct link to GM crops and the rise of allergies among US citizens.

    I think the bigger question is, if GM and non organic crops where no big deal, then why have so many other countries banned their use in their food supply?

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1240788/

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1241560/


    These are just two of many peer-reviewed articles out there.

    I do feel that there is a direct link to GM foods and autoimmune diseases.



    forgive me if my sentence structure is a bit off, I am tired and wanted to get this written in case OT is closed tomorrow.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    45,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I go organic and local. Being in Fl, I have a long grow season and my farmer, who I know personally, grown hydroponically.

    In regards to the above article; while it has been proven that organic vs conventionally grown crops have no higher nutritional value, they are not subject to DNA modification which I do avoid. I am not a fan of injecting my tomatoes DNA with alien (non tomato species) DNA just so they have a longer shelf life. I would rather buy in smaller quantities and more often than lose flavor and injest something my body is not familiar with. There is a direct link to GM crops and the rise of allergies among US citizens.

    I think the bigger question is, if GM and non organic crops where no big deal, then why have so many other countries banned their use in their food supply?

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1240788/

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1241560/


    These are just two of many peer-reviewed articles out there.

    I do feel that there is a direct link to GM foods and autoimmune diseases.



    forgive me if my sentence structure is a bit off, I am tired and wanted to get this written in case OT is closed tomorrow.
    I could only access one article and all it was saying is we don't see that there is a problem other than may be with any other produce, will study this further and this is how we will do that.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2012
    Location
    Area IX
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I see a nutritionist and she said that a lot of the vegetables now days are grown in water instead of dirt, and therefor lack a lot of the nutrients. She says organic is better... I def believe her.
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2005
    Posts
    1,076

    Default

    I just plant a non organic garden can what ever I can out of it and freeze what ever I don't can. Much better than store bought. Has a better flavor than organic.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    If you want to watch a very interesting DVD watch Seeds Of Deception. It is all about the GMO foods. There are quite a few good ones on Netflix also. All of them are worth a watch. Between all the stuff that is being genetically modified into our foods to the pesticides and add in all the chemicals that are put into the boxed and canned foods it is enough for at least us to want to avoid it at all cost.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    15,858

    Default

    I believe medication-free chicken and beef are important, as is organic peanut butter (there's all sorts of antifungals in that), but we buy locally if we can and never buy US milk or cheese as they are allowed to put growth hormones in it. I've just never felt that the people I know who are real granola bar types are any healthier than we are. We do cook almost everything from scratch and fresh, tho.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 1999
    Location
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique
    Posts
    9,156

    Default

    Be careful not to just take "organic" as automatically equaling better, especially if your choice is local small farmer produced vs big company organic. Getting the legal right to use "organic" on your labels is VERY expensive and many small farmers just don't see the value, even though what they do actually IS organic.
    ************
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

    "Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    22,946



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Posts
    3,980

    Default

    Yeah, my opinion as far as the hype on GMO...

    Y'know what's worse than genetically modified food?

    Starving to death.

    Earth's population is not sustainable with local/organic/green farming methods.

    I grow my own/buy local/preserve through dehydrating, canning and freezing, but I have the luxuries of land, time, storage space and electricity to do so.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**


    4 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 1999
    Location
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique
    Posts
    9,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Yeah, my opinion as far as the hype on GMO...

    Y'know what's worse than genetically modified food?

    Starving to death.

    Earth's population is not sustainable with local/organic/green farming methods.
    when the majority of the crops grown in this country are not for human consumption, perhaps that's part of the problem.
    ************
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

    "Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike


    3 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Is anyone certified organic?
    By IntegritySporthorses in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Jan. 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
  2. Organic Riding Apparel
    By Swishy-Tails in forum Off Course
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jul. 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
  3. Organic Fertilizer
    By ToTheNines in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb. 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
  4. MSM Organic v Inorganic
    By BoyleHeightsKid in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Feb. 12, 2010, 01:02 PM
  5. organic foot supplement......anyone?
    By Naro29 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2009, 07:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness