The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jingles....and mayhaps an HGTV overdose

Since coming to COTH, I absolutely adore the way we jingle for those with needs. And thanks to my interior confinement this year after multiple surgeries, I've spent WAY too many hours watching HGTV. Which has all prompted me to want some sort of decorative curb chain something that I can hang in the house. I don't want to just hang up a curb chain (kinda boring), but my google skills have failed to find me anything decorative or creative that would still jingle on command.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any creative COTHers want to design something? Help!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm afraid I'm not creative enough for this kind of thing, but have you tried pinterest??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Pinterest...I'm scared. I have enough addictions as it is.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always liked curb chain braclets.

But you could make a cool curb chain with leather backing ... like sleigh bells ... sort of thing, to hang on your door.

3 members found this post helpful.

I like!

I would be interested in a curb chain bracelet if anyone finds someone who makes them. Or if someone could post a pic of one.

P.

How about a windchime like this with curb chains added?

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/cds/PROD/NB7500
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Funny, I discovered HGTV during this last confinement of mine. Where has it been all this time, lol! Some really fun shows on that channel and it definitely passed the hours. I think you would have to make what you are talking about, I too scoured the internets and found no such beast.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

ALG--Isn't it addictive? Too many episodes of House Hunters and Property Virgins and I bought my first house....totally unplanned! Maybe someone can come up with a really neat design and we can have official COTHy jinglers.

Yes, Someone needs to invent just the right curb chain jingly thingy-majigger for us to hang on our walls for when COTH peeps need jingles.

I like love it or list it, and the international version of House Hunters makes me want to throw all caution to the winds and go live in Rome, or Denmark!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

I know! I've been pondering jinglies for months now. I'm hopeful that someone will have some sort of skills that will involve actually making and marketing. I'm skilled at neither.

LIorLI can get on my nerves at times, but it's always interesting.

Default Suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Since coming to COTH, I absolutely adore the way we jingle for those with needs. And thanks to my interior confinement this year after multiple surgeries, I've spent WAY too many hours watching HGTV. Which has all prompted me to want some sort of decorative curb chain something that I can hang in the house. I don't want to just hang up a curb chain (kinda boring), but my google skills have failed to find me anything decorative or creative that would still jingle on command.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any creative COTHers want to design something? Help!
    Sorry no pics because I'm at work but try designing a curb chain/horsehair bracelet, ornament, jingly thing, etc... Its really pretty and special if it's your own horse's hair.
    You take a few long tail hairs, loop them together through the first ring in the curb. Tie them off ( the ends with the rest) with a supple jewelry-wrapping wire (you get at walmart or hobby lobby) cut the excess for neatness.
    Then feed your tails hairs through the curb rings, use a large eye needle for ease. If you use two or three different hair colours, you can create a “braid –type” effect.
    Finish the end part off at the last ring as you did the beginning loop.

Make sure your tail hairs are long so you can cover the entire curb chain,

You can add little horse charms to your curb as well. And you can add leather to make a pretty necklace or even a belt.

I love to make little “horse” jewelry projects for my friends.

Really there are 101 ideas for this project. Have fun and post your pics for us !! Oh and god speed your recouperation period

I think I can imagine what you are talking about, but I'm not 100%. Sounds neat though!

I thought "jingles" was a figure of speech.

Guess someone is making it a literal phrase, good idea.

Some people really do knock on wood.

I like the idea of a leather strap with a curb chain hanging from it and the strap itself hanging with a pretty leather thong from door or cabinet knobs or any other handy place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I like the idea of a leather strap with a curb chain hanging from it and the strap itself hanging with a pretty leather thong from door or cabinet knobs or any other handy place.
    This reminds me of the decorative sleigh bells that you can buy. Great idea!

I'm reviving this thread as I'm headed into the hospital next week for surgery #5 on my stubbornly broken arm. I still want some sort of household (or hospital room) jingly thing for auditory jingles. Help!

More jingles for you.

I found something else that may help, dream catchers made out of horse shoes, that can help you, well, dream sweet dreams.
    Anyone can make them and they also sell them:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horseshoes.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	38436  

2 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm... Along the lines of the dreamcatchers...

Seems like you could take a horseshoe, and add the dreamcatcher part if you like. Then in place of the tassels, use cord or tail hair to attach curb chains.
    You could hang it on a wall or suspend it like a windchime!

Jen-S, having a curb chain to jingle might help while away those long dreadful hours in the hospital. If you get really bored and don't mind funny looks, you can "drive" your toes ala "National Velvet," and keep your rein hands in good order. Just be careful when you flourish the whip, though that's one way to keep those damn phlebotomists away!
    I have my set of harness bells, a real draft-sized set of acorn bells in brass, and it can make a joyful noise. My justification is that they're good desensitizing tools for a horse or mule, but I really just think they're pretty. They're also very heavy.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

i had a curb chain hanging from my rear view mirrorin the truck for a while. i liked it but it wasn't very pretty hanging from hay twine.
    don't remember why i put it there or for whom or when it came down, but i do remember touching it often as it swayed while i drove.
    and jen a mazillion healing jingles headed your way--please apply directly to that stubborn arm!