The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Lol, I just had ROCKS (my mother wished I wouldn't pick them up.) With toys, I got pretty much things I asked for, and that meant Breyer models, Star Wars figures, My Little Ponies. I had a She-Ra toy--because She-Ra had a horse so I wanted that! We had Legos and Play-Do and blocks and that kind of shared toys but given my druthers I usually specifically wanted something vaguely equine.

Except Scottie. For the life of me I don't remember why I latched on to the stuffed Scottish terrier with a plaid bow at Hallmark, but Mom said 'no' at the time, and a few weeks later on my birthday there he was in a box! I still have him-he travels in my suitcase all the time.
    I think anything that stimulates a child's imagination in a positive way, promoting wholesome fantasies about a pet who is a "special friend" who needs care, can't be a bad thing.

This one's my personal favorite pick of the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIWHTbRUdnA

My vet and I both dubbed her "Most Realistic!" She runs up vet bills!

I'm amazed at the array of "horsey" toys available these days; when I was a kid, there were tiny porcelain statues that broke if you looked crooked at them, the occasional plastic model (I still have my old Comanche with poseable legs!) and "stick horses," with which my friends and I played for hours. We had "stick horse" horse shows, (complete with contested, homemade ribbons!) steeplechases, Kentucky Derbies, and acted out Black Stallion stories. These horses were nothing but a broom handle with a stuffed vinyl horse head with a frizzy Nylon mane at best, and when Mom and Dad wouldn't buy us any more of those, we made more ourselves with odd scraps of wood. These were the "foals." Our breeding program, not to mention our tree-house ramp "stables," were quite impressive!
    Last edited by Lady Eboshi; Feb. 3, 2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add

1 members found this post helpful.

No absolutely not!! I would not give my daughter a pony that craps jewels.

I going out and getting her that new toy tree that money grows on.

Bwahahahaha

2 members found this post helpful.

Is it wrong that I want the rainbow -pooping pony???!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

LOL, I was thinking, yeah, all my "My Little Ponies" were such excellent study specimens for real ponies!
    Ha, I was just talking to my trainer who was telling me that a little girl taking beginner lessons at the riding school asked for a pink pony (yes, she was dead serious) for her birthday. She also asked for my trainer's 16.3 psycho TB...

But this totally reminded me of the whole My Little Pony thing.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

My brother, who is clueless, bought my (then 4 year old) daughter a Monster High Doll. He does not have children. I know he probably just went to Walmart, walked in the doll aisle, and said "eh, that'll work". It is basically a stripper. It has a booty, it was wearing stiletto slippers, and a midriff top.
    It came with a "stand" which is essentially a stripper pole. She can bend backwards all the way, and her legs can bend in every direction.

I just stared at him, like WTF did you buy!!?!? I wasn't mad, he didn't even take notice, and we all laughed. Later, my friend and I had too much wine and posed her on the pole and had a giggle. This was during a freak snowstorm, ok? Wine and playing with Whore Barbie was all we had.

Luckily my daughter is way too into being outside and playing with sticks and rocks, so Whore Barbie is now at our local Goodwill.

I want my mare to poop jewels! That might be the only way my student loans ever get paid off, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    My brother, who is clueless, bought my (then 4 year old) daughter a Monster High Doll. He does not have children. I know he probably just went to Walmart, walked in the doll aisle, and said "eh, that'll work". It is basically a stripper. It has a booty, it was wearing stiletto slippers, and a midriff top.
    It came with a "stand" which is essentially a stripper pole. She can bend backwards all the way, and her legs can bend in every direction.

I just stared at him, like WTF did you buy!!?!? I wasn't mad, he didn't even take notice, and we all laughed. Later, my friend and I had too much wine and posed her on the pole and had a giggle. This was during a freak snowstorm, ok? Wine and playing with Whore Barbie was all we had.

Luckily my daughter is way too into being outside and playing with sticks and rocks, so Whore Barbie is now at our local Goodwill.
    My barn owner was just complaining that her 11 year old was obsessed with those dolls and she thought they were so slutty. Thought she was overeacting until she walked in the barn one day and showed me!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    It is basically a stripper. It has a booty, it was wearing stiletto slippers, and a midriff top.
    Well, had he waited till her 6th birthday, he would have been in the right age range for these fine Monster High Dolls
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Last summer my grandchildren were here riding and helping out in the barn after. We were picking out stalls when I told them "You know, some people don't like cleaning stalls". With her acquired five year old wisdom, my granddaughter put her hand on her hip and informed me, "Grandma, everybody poops." I love that kid! Incredibley reasonable, down to earth, and adores her pony.

So I don't have kids, but if I did - I wouldn't buy this doll because it's ridiculous, but I wouldn't not buy it because I feel like it is Mattel or whoever's job to teach my kid about responsible pet ownership. Plus any kid of mine would be cleaning up after enough real animals to know better.

HOWEVER, I did go immediately to Amazon to order this for a friend's birthday (he's turning 43) with whom I have a running joke about unicorns pooping rainbows (this would be the PERFECT gift) and the effing doll is $45!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so disappointed, that's a bit insane for a gag gift. But if it was less, one would be on the way to my house right now!

the pooping phantasy critter is really the least of the problems with that thing...

Started with the Bratz dolls, really...blech.....

(and no, don't dis on Barbie! She was a doctor, Pilot, astronaut long before real girls got into that... plus she is 60 years old and never really married her perpetual boy friend, like any old carrier gal!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Good news - it's $22 at Toys R Us, this should be a highly entertaining birthday party :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

(and no, don't dis on Barbie! She was a doctor, Pilot, astronaut long before real girls got into that... plus she is 60 years old and never really married her perpetual boy friend, like any old carrier gal!)
    Barbie predated the 1920s (women pilots) and the 1800s (women MDs?)

And of COURSE she never married Ken. Pick your own joke about whether that's because '80s Ken makes it pretty clear he's batting for the wrong team or whether Barbie has no need for a man whose briefs are molded on....

Barbie predated the 1920s (women pilots) and the 1800s (women MDs?)

And of COURSE she never married Ken. Pick your own joke about whether that's because '80s Ken makes it pretty clear he's batting for the wrong team or whether Barbie has no need for a man whose briefs are molded on....
    main stream people....
    The chick, blond and all is still not a bad role model, really! (and if you ever made a dress for her, you know how ridiculous her proportions are and laugh about it instead of trying to copy it...after all, I drop the seam of my skirt an inch, you can see a difference...not so with Miss Barbie! and seriously, I do not kid about that!)

(ok...it's not the poor guy's fault he was under-equipped...)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I find it hilarious.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    main stream people....
    Lots and lots of female pilots before Barbie came along. Not combat or commercial (rigidly defining commercial as passenger service, but until the 1960s that wasn't a booming career field for ANYONE) but military transport, mail pilots, stunt pilots, stupidly "pioneering" ones who didn't listen and got themselves famous for getting lost forever (sorry, think Earhart's overrated compared to a lot of her contemporaries, rather like Titanic is more famous than bigger, faster, and fancier ships because she sank.)

The chick, blond and all is still not a bad role model, really! (and if you ever made a dress for her, you know how ridiculous her proportions are and laugh about it instead of trying to copy it...after all, I drop the seam of my skirt an inch, you can see a difference...not so with Miss Barbie! and seriously, I do not kid about that!)
    I never had a Barbie. Just some knock-offs, and those got old fast because my mother figured out I was dismembering them, having her put them back together, and dismembering them again to see how long I could keep that up and she stopped putting the heads back on...those and the legs were the hardest to reattach...I WANTED an American Girls doll, and got one...when I was seventeen and my mother figured I could be trusted not to do something stupidly destructive with it. By that point they had the horse and the English riding habit, and the shadow box with the exclusive Breyer mare and foal...Yes, I still have my Breyers categorized and displayed on shelves with the rarest and most valuable in a glass-front cabinet, what?

(ok...it's not the poor guy's fault he was under-equipped...)
    Like Ken would be interested in using that equipment on Barbie if he had it....

Lots and lots of female pilots before Barbie came along. Not combat or commercial (rigidly defining commercial as passenger service, but until the 1960s that wasn't a booming career field for ANYONE) but military transport, mail pilots, stunt pilots, stupidly "pioneering" ones who didn't listen and got themselves famous for getting lost forever (sorry, think Earhart's overrated compared to a lot of her contemporaries, rather like Titanic is more famous than bigger, faster, and fancier ships because she sank.)

I never had a Barbie. Just some knock-offs, and those got old fast because my mother figured out I was dismembering them, having her put them back together, and dismembering them again to see how long I could keep that up and she stopped putting the heads back on...those and the legs were the hardest to reattach...I WANTED an American Girls doll, and got one...when I was seventeen and my mother figured I could be trusted not to do something stupidly destructive with it. By that point they had the horse and the English riding habit, and the shadow box with the exclusive Breyer mare and foal...Yes, I still have my Breyers categorized and displayed on shelves with the rarest and most valuable in a glass-front cabinet, what?

Like Ken would be interested in using that equipment on Barbie if he had it....
    we can discuss the finer points of Barbie vs reality tomorrow...
    and we all know that Barbie prefers GI Joe...(that TV commercial was so hilarious...)

What was the bra brand? maiden form? 'I wish...' was their mst successful ad campaign...until the 60s or 70s, when it became mainstream for girls to dream of becoming something other than mothers and wives.

alas, we were talking about waterheaded dolls with clitter pooping critters that were not even Gypsy Vanners....