The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you buy your daughter this toy?

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/03/th...s-poop-jewels/
    Moxie Girlz are from MGA, the same company that brought us Bratz dolls. They’re like a softer version of Bratz, wearing less makeup, having slightly more human proportions, and they’re even fully clothed.
    We’re not saying that fashion dolls should reflect reality. However, Moxie Girlz Poopsy Pets resemble the whacked-out fever dream of a pet-obsessed six-year-old. You see, the dolls don’t just come with pets that eat and then defecate. Poopsy Pets eat and poop rainbows and jewels. “If only my cat could crap jewels!” writes tipster Colleen. Yes, that would be much easier to clean up, and pay the student loan balances of the entire Consumerist staff.
    This product is technically accurate in that if you feed your pet jewels, it will excrete them back out. They’ll just be embedded in good old-fashioned poop.
    If so, why?! For heavens' sake, WHY!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

No wonder we are raising a nation of morons.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

6 members found this post helpful.

It's certainly not setting up kids for the reality and responsibility of pet ownership.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    It's certainly not setting up kids for the reality and responsibility of pet ownership.
    Oh yeah, 'cause all my Breyer horses with carefully super-glued legs sure present a realistic depiction of what happens to real horses with broken legs!

So what? It's a kid's toy. Any child with a real animal knows that they aren't pooping no rainbows.

Responsibility is something for PARENTS to teach, not $5 toys.

11 members found this post helpful.

Meh, it's a toy. I don't imagine stuffed animals do good in setting children up for proper pet ownership either. Think about it, you can squash a stuffed animal, toss it around, never need to feed it or clean up after it. How does that do more to set children up for pet ownership than some plastic animal that poops jewels?

I think people are starting to expect way to much from toys. Toys are toys, meant to entertain and activate the imagination. My lego horses did nothing to set me up for horse ownership, but I sure did love playing out story scenarios with them and my other legos. Same goes for my dollhouse and my little ponies. That doll house did not teach me ANYTHING about regular house chores - I learned nothing of proper products to use to clean a bathroom compared to cleaning the hall floor.

4 members found this post helpful.

Why isn't there a Gypsy Vanner one yet?
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Why isn't there a Gypsy Vanner one yet?
    Probably because they fart butterflies and that's a little harder to make shoot out a toy's a$$.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Oh yeah, 'cause all my Breyer horses with carefully super-glued legs sure present a realistic depiction of what happens to real horses with broken legs!
    LOL, I was thinking, yeah, all my "My Little Ponies" were such excellent study specimens for real ponies!

3 members found this post helpful.

It poops? Toys poop now?

Back in MY DAY (cause I'm such an old person you know) toys did not poop. So it's even more realistic in my mind!

Bwahahahaha!
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was young I so desperately wanted one of those "life-like" dolls (baby alive?) that required diaper changes. Dad thought it had potential to be funny so I received it for Christmas. I took care of it and waited allll day for it to "go". When it finally did, I never touched that doll again.

A pet that pooped jewels would have been much more pleasant than that horrifying Satan-doll.

5 members found this post helpful.

No, my daughter got Legos, blocks and Playmobile.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

No!

I had a Baby Alive doll back in the 70s. I remember thinking it was a cool toy (knowing the difference between toys and real) because it could eat, until Mom wouldn't let me feed it the food packets because the food would get stuck inside and get yucky. The idea of feeding it was OK, but I wanted nothing to do with its diapers or cleaning up after it. Obviously, I realized I wasn't parenting material from an early age

Quote Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
    A pet that pooped jewels would have been much more pleasant than that horrifying Satan-doll.

I played with a pet rock.

Seriously, I had *some* toys, my mother wasn't a complete monster, but I distinctly remember lots of play time with that rock when other toys were available (some Breyers, PlayDo, I had a She-Ra or whatever that female Conan equivalent was). I was, ohhhh, seven? when I found the rock. But none of my toys pooped anything, but my cat did. And so did my horse.

I still have that rock, it has seen more of the US of A than most people. If that makes me weird, so be it.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

3 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps there's a subliminal message here?

Those who are wealthy enough to feed jewels will not have to contend with offensive bodily secretions?

I worry that this may be an example of corporations training future generations of consumers, who will purchase what they are told they need to feel accepted.

In my view, the historical significance of a toys has traditionally been symbolic of the roles which are integral to adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I had a whole box of rocks that I loved. They made an appearance in nearly everything I played with. Best toys (aside from my Breyers) were the sandbox, rocks, sticks and berries. And a hose.

Better than the Harry Potter battery-powered broom that doesn't fly, but DOES vibrate!

My daughters have real children, so I might as a joke, but really this is stupid. I wouldn't just because I don't want to support merchandise that I think is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

Seriously, I had *some* toys, my mother wasn't a complete monster, but I distinctly remember lots of play time with that rock when other toys were available (some Breyers, PlayDo, I had a She-Ra or whatever that female Conan equivalent was). I was, ohhhh, seven? when I found the rock. But none of my toys pooped anything, but my cat did. And so did my horse.

I still have that rock, it has seen more of the US of A than most people. If that makes me weird, so be it.
    Lol, I just had ROCKS (my mother wished I wouldn't pick them up.) With toys, I got pretty much things I asked for, and that meant Breyer models, Star Wars figures, My Little Ponies. I had a She-Ra toy--because She-Ra had a horse so I wanted that! We had Legos and Play-Do and blocks and that kind of shared toys but given my druthers I usually specifically wanted something vaguely equine.

Except Scottie. For the life of me I don't remember why I latched on to the stuffed Scottish terrier with a plaid bow at Hallmark, but Mom said 'no' at the time, and a few weeks later on my birthday there he was in a box! I still have him-he travels in my suitcase all the time.

1 members found this post helpful.