The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Further info on this TB pedigree?

I saw some names I know are good for sport, like Never Bend, but I'm tossing this over the wall to the experts. Any neat stuff I should know?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/blue+styx

He is darling, but was not a particularly spectacular race horse.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jackalini; Feb. 3, 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Clarify purpose
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.

I would rather a picture of the horse..he is not a youngster

His sire's second dam, Flight Dancer is a full sister to my pensioner's sire. My pensioner was imported from Arg, raced till 9 and evented, did pure dressage and a bit of show hunters. He's now 28 and still legit sound.

Flight Dancer is also the dam line that produced Saint Liam, who sired Harve de Grace; line also produced several very good and expensive race mares. I know that has didly to do with eventing, but its kind of neat.

I too would like to see a pic of this horse

Not really looking for a sport potential critique of the horse (he is 10 after all), just seeking some pedigree education. Thanks for the info Judysmom, very interesting stuff!

When I'm not on a mobile device, I'll post a pic. Nothing spectacular to his conformation but he's a 10 mover and way fun, so I was just wondering. :-)

And a 4-month later update! Sorry, have been busy enjoying my new wonderful TB gelding! Ended up selling the wonder mare to a great home and picked up this guy as my new partner.

Apologies for the AWFUL shot for conformation - 3/4 view, not standing up square and legs kind of shaded - but he was more interested in mugging for the camera than he was standing pretty, looking away.

Adorable Dude

I've played around, looking at his race record (good thing he's darling b/c he's not that fast), and I've actually now traced his history all the way back to when he hit the ground. He's a lovely mover and is taking to his new career of eventing quite well.

Would love any other tidbits on his pedigree!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Just a couple of tidbits.

Prospector's Music is listed a sire for 4 horses in the USEF database. Three have no results since 2008. One did one BN HT in 2011 and finished 10th of 12.

Sire's tail female goes to Gallorette who was one of the greatest race mares ever. She beat the boys in top races for three years.

Snob is found in the pedigrees of SFs, as well as TBs. He's bred as well for sport as possible. Excellent jumping lines have produced excellent jumping horses.

The Minstrel has been a good line for FEI level sport. Damsire of Leyland.

At The Threshold was the sire of the KY Derby winner, Lil E. Tee was the sire of a horse who did some 2*s in California in 2011 with top ten results both times.

Native Charger is an excellent line to find. Not only has he a lovely pedigree with Heliopolis as damsire, but he is the damsire of Hollywood's sire and of Fire Dancer, who was a very good TB sire of sport horses. He's the grandsire of Can't Fire Me.

Riverman has 16 stallion sons with FEI level progeny, and the one listed mare has three stallion sons with FEI level progeny. He's also a staple line in French chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by jackalini View Post
    And a 4-month later update! Sorry, have been busy enjoying my new wonderful TB gelding! Ended up selling the wonder mare to a great home and picked up this guy as my new partner.

Apologies for the AWFUL shot for conformation - 3/4 view, not standing up square and legs kind of shaded - but he was more interested in mugging for the camera than he was standing pretty, looking away.

Adorable Dude

I've played around, looking at his race record (good thing he's darling b/c he's not that fast), and I've actually now traced his history all the way back to when he hit the ground. He's a lovely mover and is taking to his new career of eventing quite well.

Would love any other tidbits on his pedigree!
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jun. 14, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thank you Viney!! What great information - so interesting to hear about all of the different lines. Really appreciate the response.