The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Naming thread!! I just got a lovely event prospect!

I took the plunge and got an event prospect. She's a lovely little Irish Sport Horse that hasn't been started yet (4 years old), so she's all mine to get going. I actually sat on her and walked and she didn't care a thing about it. I am pretty level headed but I started to walk to my truck and had that "oh crap". Turned around and told the lovely people who have her she must be mine. (They were real gems. Honest, kind, I was thrilled with the experience.)

Her name is Miss Bay, because, well she's a bay! While I think that is super cute, I thought about changing her name maybe. She does Have Snowford Bellman in her lines (woohoo) and she is as sweet as can be.

I have lots of male horse names, but no mare names. I never thought I'd own a mare.

Something very girly, hopefully Irish...so COTH minds....show me your magic!
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Oh we need pictures! And what are her sire and dam names? I can relate... My new filly is the first I have ever named and it felt like more of a burden than a blessing! So much pressure to find the right one that really suited her!

My very favorite Irish girl's name is Keeley if that helps!

Okay, I finally got the pictures organized. (They belong to the seller. I didn't take them.) Anyway, I know I should know sire and dam names, but I am drawing a blank. I know that she has Snowford Bellman in her lines (grandfather). I know her sire's barn name, but haven't asked for any more info. (I'll get all that when I pick her up.)

So, in the mean time....Her current name is Miss Bay. Which is super cute. But I want something Irish. (Though I worry, isn't it bad luck to change a horse's name?)

I really like the name Bella (darn twilight movies, I liked it before). I like Willoughby. None being Irish, of course.

Snow name wise, I like Bella's Irish Lace or Snow Bell's Irish Lace. But I guess it depends on her barn name if that changes.

Here's a link to her pics...

http://www.thefrostedbarn.com/2013/0...ures-new-mare/

I am so excited. She's just one of those in your pocket kinda horses, and with my heart horse not fully recovering for mystery lameness (and we've looked and done just about everything) I decided it was time to get that eventing prospect I always wanted. She was too nice to walk away from.

So, thoughts?
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

I don't know how usable it is with show announcers but i do love the irish girl's name Clodagh (pronounced clo-da) with the barn name Chloe. I love irish names but the spellings are quite the eyeball puzzle!
    Oh one name i like which has an anglicized spelling is Orla. It means golden or gilded. I think it has a nice soft sound. Orla Bell =gilded bell

I'll have to think on this one a bit, it is hard to think of irish names that aren't overdone (a la Irish Eyes, lucky something, Emerald something, various whiskeys or beers...)
    Maybe check a map of Ireland and look at town and county names, castles, geographic features...
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Quote Originally Posted by SFrost View Post
    I like Bella's Irish Lace or Snow Bell's Irish Lace.
    I was going to suggest Snowbell with Bella as her barn name, but you got there first
    "A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service." Plutarch

I named a gelding Coleraine that I was told was Irish TB Coleraine for both the Irish city and the whiskey. Snowbell also has the advantage of not being a current USEA horse name. I try to do the lookup before doing names so I don't end up with a number after the name. There is a B&B in Dublin called Bellgrove.

Ballygeary is a blended Irish Whiskey that could have Bella as a barn name.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!