The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    BFD is where the cat-chaser came from. Broke our hearts. We were in love with that dog from the minute we met him at his foster home. He is back on Petfinder and he is STILL described as "good with cats."
    Guin, if you want to adopt from TriState Collie Rescue, I will make the adoption coordinator swear on a stack of bibles that the dog is as promised.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

I think I saw that Danny and Ron have two golden retriever sisters up for adoption together. Only 6. Might be worth a try if you can handle two?

go on petfinder and search for rescue groups near your location, and call them up and grill them about how they test dogs for cat-compatibility.

1 members found this post helpful.

It seems like most people on COTH can't drive a mile down the road without picking up abandoned dogs or finding one in a WalMart lot. We've been looking for two months to find a large adult dog with these criteria: DOES NOT CHASE CATS, good with a female corgi, and mellow enough so that it will be happy sleeping on the couch for a few hours.

I can't go on FB or turn on the news without seeing some pathetic 8-year-old dog being turned in to a shelter because people had a baby, or the kids went to college, or the owner died and all the dog wants to do is sleep in front of the fireplace. But are they in New England? NO! The rescue agencies lie and say "Oh yes, Rufus is good with cats" and then we bring Rufus home and he tries to eat Mr. Kitty. Or they do a home visit and say, "Well, ANY dog is going to chase/torment/harass a cat so too bad for you."

Ugh. Tribble is going to be alone for the rest of her five years, apparently.

~end rant~
    BRING ANDY HOME
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry
    you need a greyhound. We've had three and loved them all. They are couch potatoes, and you can find individuals that don't chase cats.

Above and Beyond English Setter rescue has some GREAT dogs and their foster families really put the dogs to the test before making them available for adoption. Some setters wouldn't be a good choice for your family, but others might. In addition, if you find one that's not local, they will put together a transport to the new home.

Here's a possibility:
    http://www.esrescue.org/Nelson.html
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Keep looking the right dog will find you! We, BF and I, weren't looking per se but found an awesome Min Pin on CL of all places. Sophie Rose is awesome.

Good luck and keep at it!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I would find a really reputable breeder in your area looking to place a retired show dog/breeding stock. You get the advantage of knowing the dogs entire history, health, socialization, etc. and breeders are very invested in making sure their dogs receive great retirements.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the right dog will come along. It may not be the breed you thought you wanted, or exactly what you planned for, but it does seem to work out that way a lot of the time.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Of coure, this is heresy, but you can find a really good dog already trained and vetted from a good breeder. Many breeders place their well bred, healthy, well trained adults that they are retired from showing. These dogs have often traveled extensively, are used to other dogs, have been well fed, vetted etc. They are a known quantity. If you are interested in some contacts in various breeds, shoot me a PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

That idea about [GOOD] breeders is interesting. I never thought about them having adult dogs. I will explore that!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was looking for a Golden Retriever, I contacted breeders about adult dogs. For all of the breeders I contacted, an adult was at least as expensive, if not more expensive, than a puppy and there weren't many of them. I think you would probably have to get really lucky to find what you want, plus, even though they may have travel experience, they still have probably not lived with cats.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Are any rescues willing to try you out as a foster home for a dog that chases cats? A friend of mine fosters and rescues all kinds of animals. She has one monster of a husky who would eat anything if given the chance, but this friend is able to introduce other animals and has had great success - no one eaten!

With that said, I'm the owner of an evil maltese who has my poor cat (who weighs more than the dog) banished to the 2nd floor of my house. These 2 are fine in my bed together upstairs, but as soon as Gloves (kitty) comes down stairs, Bailey chases him right back up.

Maybe you mentioned it and I missed it, but how are you introducing the dog to the cat when you bring the dog home? And how much time/effort are you putting into helping the dog and cat adjust? As someone else mentioned, most dogs will chase cats at first. But cats are very good at staying safe, and once dogs realize the cat is part of the family, many will stop the chasing behavior. I have had dogs mixed with cats many times, and friends and family bring their dogs over, and while sometimes at first it requires some creative management, I've never had a situation where they weren't fine with each other within a few meetings.

I'm currently in the process of adopting a rescue dog, he's 8 hours away from me. It's not an ideal distance, but for the right dog, it's worth looking outside your area. They think he's probably fine with cats, but even if they told me he was PERFECT with cats, I would introduce them in a way that was set up to be successful.

1. How are you introducing the new dog to your resident cats?
    2. How long are you giving them for an adjustment period?
    3. Are your cats used to dogs in the house?

I second looking into an older, being retired breeding dog from a reputable breeder.
    It may take a little leg work to find the right match, but you'll end up with a nicely bred, healthy companion.
    Not one with an unknown background, that the rescue people are just guessing at.
    Not to say there is anything wrong with getting a rescue pet. However I would never bring in an unknown older dog into my family(having kids & other pets). Of course I did it all the time when it was just myself.

Don't forget to check out local sources, like the board at Petco or Petsmart, or your vet's office and other places where people put notices about giveaways. Definitely tell them at the vet's office, because they might hear about an available dog where someone had to give them up, or where I used to live in New Mexico it was a retirement destination. Many people who had to go in assisted care, or had to relocate and live with relatives had very nice dogs that they couldn't take with them. I got my best dog from a friend who wanted a bigger dog, and she had been raised with cats, a baby, and was wonderful with everyone. It makes no sense to rehome a perfectly good dog for such superficial reasons, but my dog and I lucked out on that one, and the lady who gave her to me never had any of her big dogs work out either.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Don't forget to check out local sources, like the board at Petco or Petsmart, or your vet's office and other places where people put notices about giveaways. Definitely tell them at the vet's office, because they might hear about an available dog where someone had to give them up, or where I used to live in New Mexico it was a retirement destination. Many people who had to go in assisted care, or had to relocate and live with relatives had very nice dogs that they couldn't take with them. I got my best dog from a friend who wanted a bigger dog, and she had been raised with cats, a baby, and was wonderful with everyone. It makes no sense to rehome a perfectly good dog for such superficial reasons, but my dog and I lucked out on that one, and the lady who gave her to me never had any of her big dogs work out either.
    That's a really good idea.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

That idea about [GOOD] breeders is interesting. I never thought about them having adult dogs. I will explore that!
    We got my elderly grandmother the most lovely golden retriever from a breeder after her showing/breeding days were over. I can't remember if we paid anything for her, but if so, it wasn't much. She was a wonderful companion to my grandmother and the cat... kind and gentle as could be.

I have fostered for Critter Cavalry and they bring lots of really great dogs north from TN.They are 100% foster so you can speak to the foster family and find out if they have cats and how they do with them.
    And I second folks above who have said that some training might be necessary, but that most dogs can be taught to live with cats.

I'm really surprised you didn't hear the doorbell ring yet, and open the door to find a few COTHers on the doorstep with dogs to give you. Any time I've been looking people seem to come out of the woodwork with all kinds of dogs.