The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To Teach at a Boarding School or not......?

I am considering changing from teaching in a public school to teaching at a well known and respected boarding school. I am interested in hearing about your experiences as either a student or teacher in a boarding school situation. I want to make a well informed decision before I make such a big move.

I went to boarding school and taught in public school. In general, I'd have to say I'd rather teach at a private school if I was going to teach again, if it was a school with a rigorous selection process. Students at my high school were WAY more motivated as a whole than public school students. Most private school students are there to get a great education. A lot of public school kids do, too, but a lot of them are only there because they want to be. My prep school classes had way better discussions because students put a ton of thought into what they were saying, and in-class discipline was rarely even a tiny issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingGirl View Post
    I am considering changing from teaching in a public school to teaching at a well known and respected boarding school. I am interested in hearing about your experiences as either a student or teacher in a boarding school situation. I want to make a well informed decision before I make such a big move.
    A couple of books you might find interesting are Casualties of Privilege and Perfectly Prep. Both are somewhat heavy-handed treatments of problem areas, but would probably help you form a balanced view to determine if you think you could happily work in that environment. For the kids' sake, I hope so, and good luck!

I can give you a parent's and substitute view. My daughter was a day student at a boarding school...50/50 mix of day and boarding. Many of my friends were teachers at the school.

It depends on the school. I found that the boarders tended to feel a bit entitled. The librarian complained that she couldn't stock popular magazines because if they wanted one they would take it. I found the same thing with my daughter's friends who boarded. If she had clothing they wanted they would just take it...with the expectation that she could just buy new, so what's the problem.

The parents are way more engaged for the most part. The students tend to be better behaved...because they have to be or the school will ask them to leave...except if the parent donates a huge chunk of change to convince the school otherwise. That's the downside. That and the thought police tend to rule, which was my experience with the Baltimore privates. But, you should have all the materials you need and a much easier time teaching the students.

If you're thinking of living on campus, be prepared for burnout. It takes a special person to live and breathe students 24/7.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant