The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Where are all the nice dogs??

It seems like most people on COTH can't drive a mile down the road without picking up abandoned dogs or finding one in a WalMart lot. We've been looking for two months to find a large adult dog with these criteria: DOES NOT CHASE CATS, good with a female corgi, and mellow enough so that it will be happy sleeping on the couch for a few hours.

I can't go on FB or turn on the news without seeing some pathetic 8-year-old dog being turned in to a shelter because people had a baby, or the kids went to college, or the owner died and all the dog wants to do is sleep in front of the fireplace. But are they in New England? NO! The rescue agencies lie and say "Oh yes, Rufus is good with cats" and then we bring Rufus home and he tries to eat Mr. Kitty. Or they do a home visit and say, "Well, ANY dog is going to chase/torment/harass a cat so too bad for you."

Ugh. Tribble is going to be alone for the rest of her five years, apparently.

~end rant~
    BRING ANDY HOME
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Get yourself a nice Golden Retriever. I know of a good breeder in New England.

2 members found this post helpful.

Regarding cat chasing. It's not so cut and dried. Many dogs will first chase your cat, but you can train them to leave your cat alone. There are exceptions of course -high high prey drive dogs. You can usually tell intent the first time they go after your cat.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Even dogs that have lived in foster homes with cats? We have a large adult dog that fits your criteria, but it was just dumb luck. We could tell from the visit at the shelter that she was really passive, which we wanted, and as a bonus, she is afraid of cats.

It's really hard to make that call about any dog. A lot of dogs will treat a cat like a pack member in the house, but outside, it's prey.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried a poodle rescue? We have a mini who is awesome. Now, I don't know that all will do well with cats, but they are very intelligent dogs. Ours will run around and play all day with our other dog, or he will snuggle on the sofa all day with me. He is pretty low-energy inside, and pretty high-energy outside.

I wouldn't guarantee that he wouldn't chase a cat to start out with, but I don't think he would have a malicious intent- he thinks everything would be fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Even dogs that have lived in foster homes with cats? We have a large adult dog that fits your criteria, but it was just dumb luck. We could tell from the visit at the shelter that she was really passive, which we wanted, and as a bonus, she is afraid of cats.

It's really hard to make that call about any dog. A lot of dogs will treat a cat like a pack member in the house, but outside, it's prey.

Yes because they may not effectively generalize the rule to all cats. My dog will eat outside cats, but sleep with my cats.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Have you looked at the dog shaming website? On Fridays they have adoptable dogs, and they are almost all fosters. They almost always tell you if the animal is good with cats, kids, other dogs, and what their other behaviors are. Don't let the dog shaming title bother you either. Go to: http://www.dogshaming.com
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Good dogs have to be made. I trained mine to be well socialized with cats, dogs, and other people. A lot of dogs in shelters have never had the opportunity to have a knowledgeable owner. However, most dogs learn quickly. If you pick one with a good, trainable personality you can make them into whatever you want
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

4 members found this post helpful.

AliCat - we do not want a puppy. We want an adult, preferably 6-7-8. Our big fuzzy dog that we lost in November was a golden/collie mix, though.

Shame on a rescue who says they are good with cats because all they do it get the dog back again. We have done aussie rescue, and have gotten some dogs unknown with cats and really had to school a couple. As a rescue though, we are very honest about the dog because we don't want the dogs bouncing around and coming home, we want forever homes.
    \"I never play horseshoes \'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around,\" ~ Mr. Ed

...Darn, if it weren't BIG, I'd drive to New England or meet you halfway (haven't really visited Boston since I moved.) MacTavish gets on fine with a Corgi and the only problem he has with cats is the one that outweighs him likes to intimidate dogs. But he's a 15 lbs. terrier/toy/Benji mix. Ridiculously adorable, but not a big dog.

Have you tried collie rescue? http://www.crlne.org/

I believe they've had some dogs come in from a hoarder in Ohio. I also know of some collie mixes if you're interested. PM me if I can help.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Have you tried collie rescue? http://www.crlne.org/

I believe they've had some dogs come in from a hoarder in Ohio. I also know of some collie mixes if you're interested. PM me if I can help.
    A friend of ours adopted the two rescue collies that belonged to my sister when she lost her home a couple years ago. The two collies have proven to be cat-friendly in both homes. Squirrels, not so much.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

What about a greyhound? They (as a breed) would seem to fit your criteria.

http://www.greyhoundrescuene.org/

http://www.greyhound.org/

^^Both links are for New England/ Mass rescues

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    Good dogs have to be made. I trained mine to be well socialized with cats, dogs, and other people. A lot of dogs in shelters have never had the opportunity to have a knowledgeable owner. However, most dogs learn quickly. If you pick one with a good, trainable personality you can make them into whatever you want
    My shelter dog (1 year old, 7 months in the shelter) was a non potty trained, cowering, non trained, barking, chewing mess. But, we recognized that he had a fantastic temperament and just had a really crappy start to life. He was (literally) scared of his own shadow, and when frightened would slip his collar and take off, or shut down and have to be carried (45lb dog). Birds, people, bikes, ceiling fans, movement, scary pieces of paper..... all set him off. If he didn't get 2 hours of exercise a day he would get so worked up he ate thousands of dollars of stuff, including a couch (he freaked out if crated). He was a mess.

4 years later he's has perfect manners, and is a happy, confident dog. Nothing scares him anymore, he'll go anywhere and do anything! Everyone who meets him says 'they wish *their* dog was so well behaved'.

This is just an example of what training does for a dog. You obviously can find one without all that baggage. Choose a fostered dog who lives with cats, or who you're confident isn't prey driven. Make sure the dog has a personality you like. Then, take it home and TRAIN it! Unless the dog is hell bent on killing kitty, it's normal for a dog to want to chase a running animal. Teach the dog that cat chasing is not allowed, it's really not hard to do (again, unless dog has high prey drive)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Choose your breed, gender, age, distance to travel:
    www.petfinder.com
    lists shelters and rescues across the US! Found my purebred German Shepherd here 9 years ago.

Sorry you're having such a terrible experience, but it's probably just that the perfect dog for your family hasn't found its way to you yet! If you want REALLY large, www.magdrl.org is great about listing whether their Danes are good with cats or not (and I've always found their evaluations to be very honest), and I would second petfinder.com also. I have to avoid both since I don't have room for another dog, but I would think you could easily find what you're looking for on either.

Try Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescue. My mother got a very mellow dog through them in upstate NY. Chessies are very good about asking what animals they should and should not chase. We have had squirrels, opossums, cats and chickens. Our Chessies ask, and then won't chase them if they are told a particular animal is not to be chased. I have to tell them to chase the Canada geese out of our pasture.

Chessies are unique characters who love their families and love children. They are not for everyone.

How about Danny and Ron's rescue? http://www.dannyandronsrescue.com/Meet-Our-Dogs.aspx

And a medium size dog might work for you also. There's also a rescue in PA, I think around Philadelphia that has a lot of dogs, and I think they foster them. That might be a better fit for you at Friends of Pep Rescue, Just google their name, and you should find it. Or if you're a member at TOC, search for "witchy's mom's dog rescue" and you'll find contact information.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Sorry you are having such a hard time. We always adopt older dogs and they have come with a couple of very temporary problems that resolved within a week. Cat chasing is one of them, I still see our one dog chase cats in our yard just not ours which I don't care about. Never had an issue to last very long, love getting my older dogs !