The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Valentine's Day Gifts

Hoping to get some ideas. I know it is a "Hallmark Holiday", but I think it is a nice excuse to spoil that special someone.

I have been seeing a guy for a month or so after about 6 months of friendship. It is not something we have put a title on, but I would like to do something sweet for him. I am confident enough about the situation to be certain that a gift would not make him uncomfortable.

I fail at cooking, and do not want it to be too heavy in cost or meaning. I was thinking about getting a nice bottle of cologne, as both of us like fragrance a lot. Is it tacky to buy my favorite (which coincidentally I bought for the guy I was seeing this time last year)?

What do you do for your SO?

Help!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

No gifts. You should just have a nice romantic-ish evening together followed by some canoeing, kayaking, or water polo.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    No gifts. You should just have a nice romantic-ish evening together followed by some canoeing, kayaking, or water polo.
    I won't have the opportunity to go on an actual date with him within a week of V-day which is why I was thinking a small something that can be dropped at his office. Obviously I would prefer time with him but it isn't feasible and I still wanted to give him a little something that day.

Give him something food-related then. People love snacks at work.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Give him something food-related then. People love snacks at work.
    Does the fact that I routinely bring treats for him and the other guys in his office make it less special?

Make something really special just for him. If there is such a thing that you know of. No man ever complained about free food, especially when it was something he really likes.

Make something really special just for him. If there is such a thing that you know of. No man ever complained about free food, especially when it was something he really likes.
    MAKE?

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    MAKE?
    You can do it! My SO is a brownie nut so I'm making him heart-shaped brownies. With a store-bought mix, not from scratch. Easy peasy.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    MAKE?
    Well if you can't cook what are you good at ??

I always wondered that about women.....that say they can't cook.

You know when some female, or her male counterpart, makes that statement in a room that is what everyone is thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post

Well if you can't cook what are you good at ??

I always wondered that about women.....that say they can't cook.
    I can bake a bit, though I haven't in years. I understand that you are either better at cooking or baking.

Maybe a plant? Not sure if that would be too girly and/or unromantic...

I told my hubby that I wanted a plant for V-day. Lasts longer than flowers.

I am getting my SO a Japanese style Chef Knife. It's not super romantic but it's practical and he loves to cook. It'll be something that he can enjoy repeatedly instead of just once
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I am getting my SO a Japanese style Chef Knife. It's not super romantic but it's practical and he loves to cook. It'll be something that he can enjoy repeatedly instead of just once
    That's a nice gift. I bought a video game mine wanted.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

We are buying each other a a Jack Russell puppy.

Personally, I think cologne is maybe too much? But then I'm not a huge gifty person. I'm with Lex, go DO something, have a nice out of the ordinary date. Even if you have to write him a raincheck to use whenever you see him again. We're talking about going to some fancy store and buying food and cooking a really nice meal together at home. There will be dessert, too, of course..

I always get hubby a book or dvd or something like that that I know he wants, & he always comes home on V-Day with a dozen or 2 long-stem roses for me.

And our traditional V-Day dinner for decades now has always been a couple of nice-size lobsters with melted lemon butter & shoestring fries, followed by a good (bought) dessert. This year I may up the ante a bit by making Oysters Rockefeller for an appetizer, since all the markets around here have been having good prices on in-shell oysters.

This is what I was thinking. Canoeing is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

My boyfriend and i bought each other PBR tickets for this coming Saturday. We're staying at a hotel adjacent to the venue, and will go to dinner. I'm so excited!

I suggest going to some kind of event/concert etc.

Veetie, PBR In Worcester? We're going too!
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Tickets to something are always good... I bought my husband tickets to go see Sigur Ros in March, since he has always wanted to see them live.

The first year we were dating we bought each other cats. (We weren't living together yet.)

Every year he cooks me a big fancy meal... normally he would type up a menu and drop it off at school (when I was teaching) along with a flower. This year I'm unemployed, so he said he's just going to keep feeding me all day. I'm okay with that. (:

The best I did for him was to do a "While You Were Out"-style makeover of his office in our apartment the first year we lived together. He had never gotten around to doing anything with it, so while he was at work, I emptied the room, painted, built and painted some shelves, rearranged and organized everything, etc. It actually only cost me about $50 with paint and some craftiness with dollar store items.

Of course, now I can't really top that, so I just bought him the concert tickets. Sigh.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits