The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best OTC drug for a runny nose?

My sisters and I used to laugh at my aunt that would walk around her house with a tissue hanging out of her nose because of a runny nose. Well... karma really is a bitch!

Last spring, I had a runny nose. Ok, I thought, spring allergies even though I've never had that before. Then summer, fall and now winter and still I have a runny nose. I don't know what it is, but it's a pain in the ass and I soooo understand now why my aunt would run around with a tissue up her nose.

I don't have headaches, no cough, nothing but a clear runny nose (yeah, I know - gross, right?).

I've tried Claritin D and it did NOTHING. So, what's your favorite OTC drug to dry up a runny nose???

Sudafed should work, but you might want to see an allergist or ENT for prescription meds.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

If it's from allergies, Zyrtec. Hands down.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Zyrtec.

Or nose spray.

Funny story: I was on duty and driving around harassing the citizens of my town (that's how they see it anyways) and I looked over and there was a woman, mid-30s, all made up and with beautifully coiffed hair, with a tissue stuck up each nostril, driving down the road. I was...well...dumbstruck. Hahaha!!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I use Benadryl or something similar all the time for that - with a houseful of dogs and cats -- go figure!
    PennyG

Zyrtec, or the generic alternative if it's allergies. Antihistamines, in general should work and you may just have to search for one that works. However, there are non-allergic causes. I went searching and found this pretty informative article from the Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/non...initis/DS00809
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I have five dogs and six cats and a few small pets including two teenagers and I can tell if I'm ONE day late sweeping and mopping the entire house. As long as I sweep daily and mop as often as possible I don't need to keep a kleenex in my pocket, let alone my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I have a few small pets including two teenagers
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.