The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    On a related note, I read your review and I have an LG Bridle on its way to me
    Hope it works for you! I've been using it on an OTTB that I'm fostering for CANTER and it's been great. He is so much happier in it than with any bit.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    eh.
    no special trial offer needed for something so short.
    If I use it and it bites the big one I'll just package that sucker back up and return it.

Mary's goofed and screwed me in the process.
    So I reordered it yesterday from Adams. : )
    I did just this!
    Used it twice and back it went.
    Too bad I can't send the Nathe back with it. That was a waste o $70 bucks. Hopefully one day I'll need it.

I didn't care much for the bridle. And the bridle + bit combo rubbed the corners of my horse's mouth.
    He was an A-hole in the bridle.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I bought a second hand Micklem and so far I'm liking it. No major changes, but then there was no major improvements needed. My mare has always had an over-active head and jaw, she plays with anything she can get in her mouth, will toss hear head around and rub on anything. The first change I noticed was that she stood still and quiet while I adjusted the bridle when she would usually try to rub. So far she seems much more settled, and I seem to have slightly better steering although I'm not sure how that has happened. She is still a baby and bulges on the far circle sometimes, and this has decreased and direct rein seems to do more then it used to (riding in a sprenger KK ultra).

The real test will be hunting. She often gets head-tossy at checks when she's bored, and I'm thinking now that might have been some noseband discomfort that she noticed while standing around but not so much that it effected her work. If she stands quiet at checkes with no head goofing, then I'll be a convert. I do appreciate that it rubs less (so far not at all) on the bones below the eye.

Oh and for anyone with a block-headed horse, the Standard Horse fits fine. My mare, at a whopping 15.2hh has a short but very wide head. She wears a WB halter just for the space in the chin strap. The bridle fits her fairly well considering her other bridle was a WB brow and the noseband buckle was way too high and nearly in the edge of the browband and yet barely did up. I find the 'cheek pieces' that connect the bit are almost too long though, but that wouldn't be impossible to change. I'm glad it fits at all.

Forgot to add comments about how it fits on my horse. He's a 16.1 Thoroughbred with a moose nose and a fine head (takes a #4 mare-sized halter at Quillin's for reference). This is how the horse-sized bridle fits him- the chin and jaw straps are on the last holes, but I'm sure they will stretch: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockand...in/photostream
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

A Micklem can have very subtle effects that only experienced riders may notice. They are not a panacea. Some horses love them some don't care. They will not make a bad rider good as much as a Flair Nose Strip can make a fat horse a Triple Crown contender.

I like the Micklem for my guy. It fits well and he is more confident in the bit. And, he enjoys the days I go bitless (haven't tried him in my hackamore yet though).

Mine had a sneezing fit the first time, a little less the second ride. Given the nerves that aren't being pressured (and this guy is pretty sensitive), and the ones that just feel different, I'm not totally surprised and will give it more time as the weather improves toward more regular riding. I do so much like the feel of the drop-type noseband. I'd just started riding him with a drop (and a new bridle) but really wasn't liking the fit, so I bit the bullet and got a Micklem. It sure is a simpler piece of equipment, which is always a nice thing.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    A Micklem can have very subtle effects that only experienced riders may notice.

I like the Micklem for my guy. It fits well and he is more confident in the bit. And, he enjoys the days I go bitless (haven't tried him in my hackamore yet though).
    I agree with this, you have to know how to get the most out of your horse to be able to see the difference.

BTW...I just started my guy in a hackamore over fences and he has gone better than ever before. Has kind of been a miracle for him.

Been a while since I've visited here, but I knew I could get the scoop on these bridles by checking COTH. I just got one from SmartPak but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Hopefully it will work on my 5 year old mare who can be quite fussy with her head.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Been a while since I've visited here, but I knew I could get the scoop on these bridles by checking COTH. I just got a Micklem competition bridle from SmartPak but haven't had the chance to try it yet. Hopefully it will work on my 5 year old mare who can be quite fussy with her head.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Bit the bullet. Bought a Micklem so I now have 4217 bridles on my wall, hehe.

Liked it on Mick. Will keep using it to see if it really makes a difference.

Ann

My other horse is a big QH gelding with a very blocky, though not huge head. He's a challenge to fit b/c of his huge jaw. He has *never* tolerated having anything tight around his head, particularly having his mouth tied closed. Good way to get bucked off. Really. He's tricky to get to good contact due to his past as a WP horse. Outwardly, a very steady guy, but there's a lot going on inside his brain and the reactions can be subtle.

But, I thought, oh, well, might as well give him a try in the Micklem. I was careful not to tighten the noseband part too much, just enough to stabilize the bit in his mouth a bit and keep the whole thing quiet. I was amazed that I was able to buckle the jaw strap on his head, but it did fit. He was quiet in his mouth, very relaxed, and seemed to appreciate not having a throatlatch, even though I never fasten them tightly. Toward the end of the ride, he even took a tentative exploration toward genuine contact, on his own volition. Go figure.

I suspect he has been irritated for years with traditional bridles that don't quite fit, but the Micklem is thoughtful and has so little extraneous "stuff" on it. I was gobsmacked that this horse tolerated it, but he seemed to even like it.

So now I have a tackroom wall full of bridles, including the new one I'd just bought for the other horse, and I'm using the same one on both horses. Sigh.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

So a couple months on... Mare still likes the bridle but she was tossing her head more and more. Trainer noted that when you put rein pressure on, the bridle loops would gap out and then fall back when you took it off. The bit was moving up and down in her mouth too much, and when it moved down the edge might catch on the chin strap, which she didn't like. So we tightened the bit straps enough to hold the bit very steady in her mouth and lowered the side pieces (cheeks) one hole, and it seems to help. This horse seems to prefer to have the bit higher so there are 2 wrinkles rather than 1 at the corners of her mouth. I am keeping her in the Micklem for now, but considering going back to a plain cavesson.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I also "bit the bullet" and bought one, even though I don't really care for how they look, because Boscoe was going through one of his unbearably fussy and hypersensitive phases. The bridle didn't make a difference, but cutting the alfalfa sure did! I'm still using it because I haven't gotten around to changing, but that's on the agenda for next week since we're showing now and I still find them unattractive.

I guess I'll keep it, though, since they seem to be worth their weight in gold!
    Click here before you buy.