The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

lol, when my mare was still green and learning about this whole dressage thing, and I was trying to find out what worked best for her, she would be AWESOME in every new thing for about a week or 2 (well, so long as it was double jointed if a bit) Turns out she likes a plain old double jointed loose ring with a plain flash (not crank) bridle loosly adjusted. Who woulda thunk it?!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    Toadie's mom, sorry you're having those problems. I have had horses that did not tolerate a flash but with time, they grow accustomed. If it were me, I would use the flash for five or six rides and see if he gets used to it. You may have already done this though.

And maybe he won't always grind his teeth. Is he nervous otherwise?
    Yes, he's a pretty nervous boy. If I ever recover from the clinic I rode in this past weekend, I'm going to ride with the Micklem again at home. I'm hoping the teeth grinding was due to the atmosphere, and not the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Not hard for me. I'd say that's actually a decent definition of "gimmick". Or fad, if one prefers. Five point breastplates, anyone? You can't tell me that 95% of horses going BN truly need this much saddle stability or whatever it is they provide that's so superior. But danged if their appearance on the bodies of loads of upper level horses didn't have an impact on sales.
    But DW, 5pt. breastplates are mandatory for all bn horses and riders when your instructor also owns a tack shop and sells you an ill fitting saddle that can be fixed with just the magic 5 pt!
    Sorry, another subject entirely.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Not hard for me. I'd say that's actually a decent definition of "gimmick". Or fad, if one prefers. Five point breastplates, anyone? You can't tell me that 95% of horses going BN truly need this much saddle stability or whatever it is they provide that's so superior. But danged if their appearance on the bodies of loads of upper level horses didn't have an impact on sales.
    Five-point breast plates look pretty and are made by all the top tack makers. So people will use them regardless if they help or not. Micklems are only made by one tack company (so can't be explained by sponsorships), the leather is just decent at best, and frankly they are butt ugly. The only reason they are gaining popularity (with BNR and low levels) is because they work. If they didn't, I'd go back to my pretty flash or figure 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    It's hard to say it's just a gimmick when top eventing trainers are starting to ride all, or most, of their horses in it.
    ^^ this makes me laugh only because if you said this on the air vest discussion, you would be shot down, stone cold.
    None of my trainers use the Micklem. None of them use a tight flash or a crank.

But I am always up for trying a new tactic or training aid and would love to be able to try a Micklem with out having to shell out the $$ and the time/energy to drive to go pick one up.

I think the Micklem makes a difference for some horses (including my current one). I can say that there is no sponsorship deals that I am aware of and that my quite old school trainer is using it on a lot of horses (including pure dressage horses)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

The horses I ride definitely prefer the Micklem bridle, but I had to make some changes. After much thought I finally removed the chin strap totally, the finicky Arabs and the finicky mares and geldings went so much better when I removed the chin strap. Since I have 3 Micklem multi-bridles I now have 3 chin straps floating around my tack shelf. If I ever think I need the chin strap nowadays I just use a thin flash strap doubled up through the noseband rings in its place.
    I also had to replace the cute little bit straps with cut down flash straps. The little bit straps did not let the bit down far enough so that it just touches the corner of the mouth.
    Now these horses are quite happy with the Micklem bridles.

Does anyone know how these bridles might fit a horse with a bit of a roman nose? He doesn't have huge roman nose, just some convex thickness between his eyes in his forehead area. His head tapers down to a fairly small muzzle.

This is the only public facebook photo I have showing his head. Hopefully this link works.

https://www.facebook.com/terri.richa...type=3&theater

** UPDATE:

so I did it, i went and purchased one with a trial offer. And I'm glad it had the trial offer. The horse that I bought it for definitely did not play so much with the bit, but he also felt like I was carrying 1000 lbs in my arms when I rode in it. He also started flipping his head (which is something he only does when he's standing at the end of a lesson) before and during the ride.

So, I gave it a go for 30 minutes and decided it was not for us. It is going back tomorrow. I rode him in our typical schooling bridle sans flash and he was great. DIdn't root on the bit, but does keep his mouth partly open. But he is soft and listening and there is a ton of white "happy" foam.
    So I'm going to try his show bridle with a looser crank noseband and no flash...

Good luck to the others trying the Micklem- it was not one for us!

eh.
    no special trial offer needed for something so short.
    If I use it and it bites the big one I'll just package that sucker back up and return it.

Mary's goofed and screwed me in the process.
    So I reordered it yesterday from Adams. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Cochran View Post
    The horses I ride definitely prefer the Micklem bridle, but I had to make some changes. After much thought I finally removed the chin strap totally, the finicky Arabs and the finicky mares and geldings went so much better when I removed the chin strap. Since I have 3 Micklem multi-bridles I now have 3 chin straps floating around my tack shelf. If I ever think I need the chin strap nowadays I just use a thin flash strap doubled up through the noseband rings in its place.

Now these horses are quite happy with the Micklem bridles.
    So what part exactly did you remove? The piece that goes over the bit?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I'll chime in -tried everything (drop, flash, figure-8, crank, as well nothing) on fussy fat pony. He was never truly happy. Gave in after a year and a half and tried the Micklem (I thought it was a gimmick). Viola! Happy pony! I can't articulate what a difference it made (in this particular horse). We have been using it over a year now and he is still content.

So for fussy fat pony it is the ticket (and no -he does not have a 5-point breastplate...yet)

DLee, I removed the straps that go from the ring on the noseband and go down in front of the bit.
    I did it because the horses I ride DO NOT like wrinkles in the corners of their mouths from the bit and I could not find a way to use the chin strap and have the bit just resting at the corners of the mouth because the chin strap is too wide. Since I do not show I do not care how the bridle looks, I just care that the bridle is comfortable to the horse.

One of my horses gets EXTREMELY itchy in his bridle. I've been thinking about trying a Micklem. Someone told me they have a lot of leverage though - I didn't think they did... I thought the point of them was to be really gentle and comfortable for the horse. Thoughts?
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Someone told me they have a lot of leverage though
    Not sure how a bridle, in and of itself, can produce leverage?
    Click here before you buy.

Yeah I didn't get it either. When I asked they said it's because the bit is attached to the noseband, but my understanding was that was to protect the horses mouth more, in the event of having a bad-hands moment over a fence or something
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

The bit doesn't attached directly to the nose band. There are short straps that attach to the nose band rings, meaning that the bit flexes separately from the nose band. Unless your horse's mouth was gaping open (pretty much impossible w/ the chin strap), I don't see how it would add any leverage.

So last night was my 10th ride w/ the Micklem multi and I may be a convert. I'm not sure if my fussy mare likes it significantly better than a regular bridle as far as fit, but I was able to use the bridle to go bitless (I use the poll + cross under method) for warm-up. Maresy is extremely fussy when I first get on, and I used to work for a long time trying to relax her back. Sometimes she never did. W/ the Micklem, we warm up bitless (the bit in her mouth but reins not attached) and once she is sufficiently relaxed, I swap the reins to the bit. In combination w/ some ground stretching, we've made more progress in the last couple weeks than in the previous months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Cochran View Post
    DLee, I removed the straps that go from the ring on the noseband and go down in front of the bit.
    I did it because the horses I ride DO NOT like wrinkles in the corners of their mouths from the bit and I could not find a way to use the chin strap and have the bit just resting at the corners of the mouth because the chin strap is too wide. Since I do not show I do not care how the bridle looks, I just care that the bridle is comfortable to the horse.
    Darn, I never even considered that. Just sold mine because I didn't want that strap over the bit.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I've ridden my guy in a Micklem a few times now, and so far, I'm pleased with the results.

He's a nervous chomper and he has a tendency to duck behind the bit. He even chomps when he's wearing a bridle on the longe line with no reins/side reins. I've felt him chomp when we're walking on a loose rein if something worries him. When he's relaxed, his mouth is quiet. In the Micklem, he is more relaxed.

If I had to guess, I'd say that he has very sensitive bars, and he appreciates the bit being lifted off the bars of his mouth. We've tried dozens of (very mild) bits with varying degrees of success. I've ridden him in every noseband you can imagine (including no noseband at all), and he's quieter in the Micklem than he is in a traditional bridle with no noseband. And much to my delight, he does not go behind the bit in the Micklem.

We're not out of the "honeymoon phase" yet, but so far, I'm a believer. In the Micklem, I've also noticed him rubbing his face less after a ride.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    One of my horses gets EXTREMELY itchy in his bridle. I've been thinking about trying a Micklem. Someone told me they have a lot of leverage though - I didn't think they did... I thought the point of them was to be really gentle and comfortable for the horse. Thoughts?
    The bridle exerts no leverage. Not possible. Maybe they were thinking of a Mickmar bit?

I ride my horses in a Micklem bridle. One I use as a bitless bridle, but I also like the way the strap supports the bit without tying the mouth shut. I don't like flash bridles and I don't like figure 8s. I guess for me it's a lot like the old fashioned drop noseband but better.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The bridle exerts no leverage. Not possible. Maybe they were thinking of a Mickmar bit?

I ride my horses in a Micklem bridle. One I use as a bitless bridle, but I also like the way the strap supports the bit without tying the mouth shut. I don't like flash bridles and I don't like figure 8s. I guess for me it's a lot like the old fashioned drop noseband but better.
    On a related note, I read your review and I have an LG Bridle on its way to me
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website