The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Article on CNN Homepage today: OTTBs

Nice to see OTTBs getting some love today in light of the Derby tomorrow!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/03/living...ces/index.html
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

2 members found this post helpful.

Very nice article. I had an OTTB mare. She had raced from a 2 year old to a 6 year old, then was a broodmare for 6 years. She ended up at a mule farmers, then was sold, thin and wormy to a friend because she was a quite "kids horse". Uh, no! They wormed her, fed her and no one could ride her. They even had a couple of "cowboys try" but they didn't get it. She was a race horse. Pulling back on the reins meant "go faster". When I saw her, I was horseless and had been for years but wanted back. I told them to call me if they decided to sell her. 6 months later they called. I went out to ride her. She had 2 gaits: she walked, she ran. There was nothing in between. I bought her on the spot and we had 14 great years together. I bred her to another TB and I have her 13 year old son. I love the breed. I'd do it again in a minute!

Oh, and she didn't like men! When I sent her to the breeder to give birth, the wife would have to go out and bring her in because the men couldn't catch her.

Great article.
    These horses DESERVE to have a good like after racing.
    Some of those stories (Clever Allemont!) are both heartbreaking and heartwarming.

I bought my now 15 year old mare at the track when she was 4. Small, brown, not the best conformation, but so gentle and nice to me when I visited her in her stall. I figured, if I didn't buy her, she'd be a goner. She is SUCH a nice little horse and we have a lot of fun together.
    I bought another one at the track, who is now helping little kids learn to ride, and loves all the attention they give her.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!