The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Issue with Rambo blanket, butt strap and mares

So everyone knows that Rambos are great, but I HATE the butt strap. It gets absolutely caked in poo and pee. I'm having a real issue with my mare - I think when she pees it hits the strap and splashes all over her rear end and legs. Every day I have to sponge her off with soapy water which is one extra chore I wish I didn't have to do in the morning. She is starting to get urine scald from this and her tail is also splashed with pee. Should I just remove the strap? Will the blanket still stay on? She is wearing it while turned out all night so it's got to stay put. Any ideas?

I had the same problem. My solution was to remover the butt strap. The blanket stays in place. The only time it flipped up was when a storm with wind gusts of 50mph. came through.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

The Rambo we have, have a sort of loop under the edge of the flap. I run the tail cord through it, on the theory that when the tail is raised, so is the flap, which will keep the tail cord flush against the underside of the tail. It does seem to help a bit, but not completely. Having seen blankets blown up so that the rump is completely bare makes me cautious about leaving it off completely.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I was using the butt strap on my gelding's Amigo but it got broken partying out in the pasture.... I removed it and it didn't seem to effect the blanket staying in place at all.

If you're able to visit your barn easily, I'd go with the suggestion to just take the tail strap off. You can just clip it back on when high winds are expected (yes, they will blow the blanket up over her back). As long as there aren't pasture mates who like to play pull-the-blanket.

Alternatively, it's not so attractive, but remove the tail strap and use a piece of baling twine, just tie it in a knot around the metal loops the clips usually go to. Might not be the nicest fashion statement, but it's a smaller target for manure and urine.

Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    Alternatively, it's not so attractive, but remove the tail strap and use a piece of baling twine, just tie it in a knot around the metal loops the clips usually go to. Might not be the nicest fashion statement, but it's a smaller target for manure and urine.
    ^^ this. I do this to all of my mares blankets. I remove tail straps/chords and leg straps. I use a piece of baling twine and just tie it to both of the tail rings. I used to use thick shoelaces but baling twine works just as good.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the baling twine idea, I will try that. I'm not worried about looks.

I'm reluctant to go with nothing since she does sleep/roll with it on at night. Not too many windy days here, but that is a concern also.

It does have the elastic strap on the tail flap to feed the tail through - anyone use this? I don't think the flap is the problem with the peeing situation, but maybe it will offer enough stability that I could remove the butt strap. I haven't used it before because I thought the mare might find it annoying to have her tail attached to the flap.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    Thanks for the baling twine idea, I will try that. I'm not worried about looks.

I'm reluctant to go with nothing since she does sleep/roll with it on at night. Not too many windy days here, but that is a concern also.

It does have the elastic strap on the tail flap to feed the tail through - anyone use this? I don't think the flap is the problem with the peeing situation, but maybe it will offer enough stability that I could remove the butt strap. I haven't used it before because I thought the mare might find it annoying to have her tail attached to the flap.
    I don't think raising the flap will help much.... give the baling twine a try. It's thin and urine shouldn't "splash" off it. It's easy to cut off and replace if it gets yucky (though ill be honest, the tail cord on my geldings blanket get dirty a LOT faster then the baling twine on my mares blanket).
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

My QH broke the tail strap on his blanket while out. I found him the the blanket blown over his head. Thankfully, he's not the type to panic. Use twine instead of the tail strap or buy a new blanket with leg straps.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

No mares here, but you could buy a couple of the replacement tail straps (I think the plastic coated bungee ones are like 11 bucks at Smartpak) and just switch them out...put a clean one on and wash the nasty one, repeat.

I use the tail holder strap under the tail flap on my boys as it helps the manure drop beyond the tail strap. When I don't, the tail flap stays down and the tail straps get grosser.

i don't take the tail straps off as that is, IME, necessary to keep the blanket in place during vigorous rolls and wind.

I have a mare that for years refused to wear a rug in the field. As in panicked blindly. Small paddock and stable no problem. One day I just took the tail strap off on a whim and no more issues. I tuck her tail through the strap on the tail flap. We get lots of wind here so I wouldn't do nothing. All her rugs are customised with an extra one too. Have not had issues and no nasty straps either.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I do baling twine also. You can play with the length to see if that will help with your splashing problem... maybe if it is longer it will be out of the splash zone, but will still provide some stability for the blanket when she rolls or is in the wind.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

i have an amigo with a tail strap, i cut it off after a few days, but i also have leg straps on.

This won't help with the splashing problem, but I cut off the strap as soon as the blankets arrived, and ordered replacement clip-on straps from Horseware Ireland. That way, I can just switch out the strap when it gets dirty. I don't know what they were thinking with the sewn-on tail strap. I think it was designed by a man.

Default Rambo Replacement Bungie Tailcord

As someone mentioned above, go to Smartpak and look for the Rambo Replacement Tail cord. Brilliant!!!

Alternatively, I've used baling twine. When it's gross, just replace it.

Another vote for baling twine. I bought some small cheap snaps and tie the baling twine to them that way when I take the sheet off and hang it up I can completely remove the strap so it's not hanging on the sheet itself. And when it gets gross, just toss it and put a new piece of twine on. It's so much smaller than the straps that come with the Rambos so less of a target to hit. i do this for all my Rambos .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

So I replaced the strap with baling twine tonight; hopefully this will work. I saw the bungee for sale but I'm afraid it will be the same issue. I don't care about the strap getting dirty, but more the fact that her pee hits it and it splashes all over her rear. She also has a very thick tail so it gets all gunked up in her tail. The skin on her hind legs is getting all raw from being peed on and washed daily, poor thing. I lubed her up with vaseline tonight.

I'm a little upset because I thought I was buying the best blanket that was on the market; now I regret it. I have the rain sheet too, I guess I'll have to do the same thing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    I'm a little upset because I thought I was buying the best blanket that was on the market; now I regret it. I have the rain sheet too, I guess I'll have to do the same thing with that.
    This chaps my ass, too. For what you have to pay for the Rambos, you'd think they could cough up the extra expense of putting leg straps on their blankets. It's cheap, cheap, cheap to put just that little piece of cord on the back of their blankets.

Just take your Rambos to your local tack repair place and have them put the "D" rings on the side of the blankets, then buy some leg straps at a tack store and be done with the mess. Costs about $20 and is well worth it.

The Rambo are nice, but the price is outrageous for a blanket that has to be re-waterproofed every other year or so. I'm still mourning the fact that GorTex blankets (primarily the Horse In Black or Classic Cover Ups) aren't made anymore.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

My rambos have never had to be reproofed. (Although now that they are made in China, I'm not as happy with the material as I was before. Now my horses do sweat in rambos. Before China, they never sweated in their rambos.)

The tail cords on both the rambo and bucas tend to get in the way of Hattie manuring. Doesn't get in the way of Cloudy manuring. But when Hattie whizzes, the urine does not touch the cord. (I'm right behind her in stall just about every day, catching her manure and whiz in a muck bucket set on the floor, so I know what does and doesn't interfere.)

There's the attachment on the tail flap where you can put your horse's tail through it and I guess that would help keep urine off of your horse. I just clean the manure off of the cords on her bucas and rambo.

You can buy tail cords like the bucas cords. Rather than tie my bucas tail cords, I buy small snaps at our neighborhood hardware store and use them on the tail cords.

Also have a mare, also have a Rambo, also had problems with urine scald. I always replace the straps with baling twine, so that was not the culpret. I found the problem was not with the blanket but with the fit. It was just a bit too long, so she not only had to lift the flap, but also part of the blanket. I got her a shorter blanket, problem resolved.