The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NEED NEW WASHING MACHINE FOR EQUINE LAUNDRY

If someone out there has purchased a reliable washing machine that can handle equine laundry can you please post the brand. I am on my 3rd machine after spending considerable money on the last one to have it failed and not be able to handle rugs and the volumn we do. any suggestions would be appreciated

Do you have a reputable shop nearby that reconditions used machines? You may be able to pick up a rebuilt commercial or heavy-duty domestic machine at reasonable cost.

Front-loaders handle dirty items best, but may require bolting to a well-braced solid floor.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

This is a great question so I'm bumping for more answers

If you do volume then the commercial front loaders are the best, Speed Queen etc. AFAIK they cost up to $3K new, if I really went that route I'd start calling larger motels and hotels and seeing if they aren't perhaps upgrading or can point you to a reconditioning "used" place.

I personally am happy with my Bosch but I wash a whopping two horse blankets every Fall when I put them up.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Around here (East TN) you can buy a large capacity, functional, home washer for $50-$75. They will last a year or two doing "horse clothes." Then something will break. Sometimes it's a reasonable fix; most of the time it means scrap the machine and go buy another one. But even at $75 every two years you've got a pretty good bargain in these used machines.

Sometimes you can find old time "wringer washers" that work. These are great for barn use as they are very simple and pretty easy to fix if they break. Many are damn near "cast iron" and hard to break. One of these in working condition would be a real "find."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Milnor, Caleco, are the two commercial machines I have for my blanket cleaning business. Minimum 25lb size.
    One word of warning- if you are NOT on public sewer washing horse laundry will kill your septic system. If you dump your water on the ground, please be responsible and use environmentally friendly chemicals.
    Good Luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a top load GE Harmony Profile that has a stainless steel tub and no agitator. Our local appliance store highly recommended it because I do some horse laundry. It's about 5 years old, and working well. My former neighbor had the same machine and did well with hers, despite washing a lot of horse blankets.

Wow, I can't imagine finding even a used industrial machine for 3k. I just priced them out for my barn and was looking at 7-12k new and about 3-5k used. Since they were way too expensive I went for the biggest capacity front load home machine. Even if I have to replace it every 3 years, it's still cheaper over 10 years than the industrial machine.
    I got the new LG 6.0 cuft. It was the biggest capacity I could buy. Normally I think LG are way overpriced for what they are. If Kenmore made one that big I would have went that way, but LG was the biggest.
    The bigger the capacity the easier for it to clean horse laundry. So far it's been working hard washing 4-6 blankets a week and getting very dirty ones clean.

I would love to find a used laundry mat, coin opperated machine. One of the
    big front loaders. I have search all over here and can never find a thing.
    I guess maybe they don't change them out very often, hence not to many
    used ones.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Sometimes you can find old time "wringer washers" that work. These are great for barn use as they are very simple and pretty easy to fix if they break. Many are damn near "cast iron" and hard to break. One of these in working condition would be a real "find."

G.
    IMHO, I would stay very far away from an old wringer washer for safety reasons. We had one when I was a kid and my sister and I were told to never go near the thing. Too much room for accidents!

I have an ancient (20+ y.o.) Maytag top loader that was a clearance model when we got it. It is very, very basic with large capacity. One speed transmission and no electronics. Also, I am pretty sure it was very similar in "innards" to the commercial models.

I do stable sheets, some winter stable blankets (if they fit in - it depends on how "poofy" they are) as well as turnout sheets in it. Also saddlepads, barn towels, cat blankets, etc. as well as my regular household laundry. The lint collector is in the centre of the agitator so it's easy to clean the horse (and cat) hair out of. The only stuff I send to commercial blanket cleaners is the heavy turnouts and stable blankets and anything I want re-waterproofed professionally or repaired.

I hope it never dies!

Really? I am about to move onto 10 acres with a septic system. What if you only wash a few blankets once in a while? I'm talking 5 blankets maybe twice a year.

I really don't know where else I can get these washed.

I am going to repair them myself, so at least I don't need that done. But I don't want to sit there and sew on filthy blankets.

Oops, meant to quote this:

"One word of warning- if you are NOT on public sewer washing horse laundry will kill your septic system. If you dump your water on the ground, please be responsible and use environmentally friendly chemicals."

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofGlass View Post
    Really? I am about to move onto 10 acres with a septic system. What if you only wash a few blankets once in a while? I'm talking 5 blankets maybe twice a year.

I really don't know where else I can get these washed.

I am going to repair them myself, so at least I don't need that done. But I don't want to sit there and sew on filthy blankets.

Oops, meant to quote this:

"One word of warning- if you are NOT on public sewer washing horse laundry will kill your septic system. If you dump your water on the ground, please be responsible and use environmentally friendly chemicals."
    Hire a backhoe guy to dig you a nice french drain and fill it with rock. You may or may not be violating your local environmental rules.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I would probably run ours out onto the ground because the septic system is at front of property and barn/horses are at back. But I would really appreciate an explanation, using small words, of why horse laundry on the septic would wreck it. We have washers on the septic -- and some of MY clothes aren't exactly pristine when they go in there. What is the issue -- dirt, hair, volume of water???
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?