The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I ride her

My mare: 12 year old tb, high threshold for pain, in good health, happy in general, came in from the field yesterday with bit of swelling in RF little heat before ride as temps outside are in the -15C range, not sore to the touch, not lame, not even hesitant on the leg. I rode her 45 min, WT some canter.
    Came back in swelling the same but some warmth. I hydro, 15 mins, poultice and bandage.
    Horses at the barn I board are in at night out during the day.
    I expect with all the ice she might have streched a ligament. I will go back this morning. If the situation is the same should I ride or treat the leg and let her be until swelling is down ?
    Even if I know about tendons, ligaments are more of a ?. As I want to keep her in good health and sound for years to come would like to know best course of action.
    Would love your advice and input.

It's really hard to advise without knowing what she has done. I wouldn't ride her. I'd also consider giving my vet a ring for advice.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't ever ride on a suspected tendon or ligament injury. Not worth it. If the swelling goes down and she's sound today, I might walk her for a few minutes and see how she is tomorrow, but nothing serious.

3 members found this post helpful.

2 members found this post helpful.

As she is out all day she does get her exercise, I might do some in hand training, and will remove the bandage hydro and should I repoultice or put boots to help with support ot let it be? I could call the vet but this being sunday, I do not expect this could be considered an emergency phone call, therefore a call back would be less than likely. Will do so tomorrow though.
    I could go twice today and redo poultice or support bandage tonight, but it would mean she keeps her bandage until tomorrow night as only minimal services are included with board. Thoughts?

Ummm, no. The fact that you rode her to begin with and caused heat which wasn't there before, is a big red flag. Yes, it may be something minor that will go away in a couple of days, but this is not the time for forced exercise Ice and wrap and see what happens .

Horses are in *properly done* standing wraps for 12 hours all the time. If you can do one properly, then yes, do that. If you can't, then it's best to just leave it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks all... so day off no wraps as even if I were to go tonight would be more than 12 hours more like 24 to 28. As for properly I think I can manage that, but like I say would be more than 12 hours.
    Therefore I will forego exercise, I gess icy walk to field is bad enough, I will spread de-icer ( salt ) to help with that.
    As for heat before and after mare was in field with knee high snow therefore I expect what heat there was before was mitigated by that.

Thanks all... so day off no wraps as even if I were to go tonight would be more than 12 hours more like 24 to 28. As for properly I think I can manage that, but like I say would be more than 12 hours.
    Therefore I will forego exercise, I gess icy walk to field is bad enough, I will spread de-icer ( salt ) to help with that.
    As for heat before and after mare was in field with knee high snow therefore I expect what heat there was before was mitigated by that.

I would get my vet out to check out that leg and possibly do an ultrasound if swelling and heat doesn't completely go away very soon.

When dealing with her injury, keep in mind that it could be something as basic an an unnoticeable cut or puncture. This will cause swelling, which to the touch, coming out of a cold field could feel fine.

Of course, what you find today could clarify the whole situation for you.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Is the pasture icy, or just the path to it? Personally, if the pasture were icy, I would not turn out an injured horse on it; I'd keep her stalled instead if at all possible. If she gets silly if kept in, is there a small paddock or round pen that's not icy where she could be turned out instead?

I'm not sure rock salt is something you want to throw down where animals walk; I know it's not good for dogs and cats to get in. If the icy area isn't going to melt on its own anytime soon, I would lay down a bunch of shavings (you can use old ones) and then hose it with just enough water to make them stick. It provides plenty of traction but doesn't introduce chemicals.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd be keeping her in. NO riding.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

If you know how to properly wrap then the bandage "should" stay in place for as long as you have it on. I've turned my TB out in a standing wrap on his leg that gets lymphangitis flare-ups. I've never had a problem, although I do make sure to supervise closely.
    I would be doing stall rest if your pasture footing is at all questionable, and NO riding! No forced excerise at all except maybe a few handwalk laps around the arena if you do stall rest.

What benefit would the horse be getting from being ridden at this point?
    Click here before you buy.

Stall rest is somewhat out of the question as all others around will be leaving in the morning and she will go nuts in no time flat, also as she has some arthritis moving is important to her wellbeing. The path to the paddock is only partially iced ( wich sort of makes it more of a chalenge specially with the small dusting of snow we have had this morning) paddock is not iced.
    So I will not ride the mare ( of course this happens just as she had started understanding about this ridding thing we do) I have removed the poultice, no change on leg, warm but not hot, hydro 20 min, rewrapped and walked carefully back to paddock. Will call the vet tomorrow. She has no pain, to the touch or uneveness in pace.
    Even if it is somewhat against what I wanted to do, farrier is coming out next week and I might ask for front corked shoes, she is presently barefoot does best without shoes as she has been a broodmare all her life. I do not know if this will help, I feel she might have banged her leg in slipping, but the slipping would be much less with corked shoes no?

I have no idea what corked shoes are so can't help you there but if she has a tendon or ligament injury you need to figure out a way to safely stall rest her for several months.

As others have said, definitely do not ride a horse with a possible tendon or ligament injury. And, though you may find it inconvenient, a horse with a tendon or ligament injury should not be turned out unless the vet gives the okay (which the vet usually will not do).

Don't mess around with a suspected injury of this nature. Get the vet out.

If she were mine, I wouldn't be turning her out, I would ask if another horse could be left in with her (a plus to owning my own farm, it's my choice) and I'd be icing or cold hosing that leg. Standing wraps while in IF you can wrap very well. And I'd be calling the vet on Monday.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have no idea what corked shoes are so can't help you there but if she has a tendon or ligament injury you need to figure out a way to safely stall rest her for several months.
    C'mon Laurie, Try "calked' as in studs.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.