The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    There is a lot of good information around the net, but I could not find the Dan Starck article mentioned above.
    Here is one of the articles:
    http://www.useventing.com/resources/..._Issue3_09.pdf

and the second one

http://useventing.com/resources/file...rtables_09.pdf
    Inese

Quote Originally Posted by Inese View Post
    Oh, thank you! I will copy them and add them to my file after I read them.

I don't have a hand held angle grinder. I just use a hand held sanding belt. I am able to jimmy the sanding belt onto a table too to sand out edging for shapes such as the horse shoes on the wind standards.

Yes, those are the only tools you REALLY need to make standards.
    Though I have a radial saw (table saw) to cut the angles on the feet and top of the standards.

And we invested in a pretty big drill press for the standards. I can't drill straight free hand through 4x4s. My entrance holes are fine but my exit holes come out in every country but my own.
    The Home Depot type drill presses won't work for standards because the spindle depth isn't deep enough (ask me how I know. lol) So you have to go a little bit more $$$ to the mid grade equipment. More in the 1K range.

There are drill guides that are only 50 bucks or so. They attach to regular hand held drills. That might work just perfect for doing your own equipment Just make sure the drill bit you use is a 5/8" and not a 1/2". 1/2 isn't big enough in the long run. Once painted and due to humidity the wood will swell and shrink your holes on the inside.

It will be hard with a circular saw because they are large and heavy for women and they can be scary. But with practice it can be done. It's the cheapest way.

I've gotten pretty strong and can cut really teeny pieces with my hand held saw these days so often I will use it because it's faster.
    But you really have to be careful not to take off fingers.

I don't have plans or blue prints for anything I do. I just go out there and start banging and hacking stuff. lol. It's super fun.
    Sometimes I use google.
    I found an advanced version of that blue bench via google and modified the idea a little bit.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Well, if you're up for a bit of a road trip , there's this:

"The Canadian Eventing Officials Committee is pleased to offer comprehensive course designer training during a four-day combined clinic and theory course to be held February 21-24, 2013 in (sometimes sunny) Surrey, BC.

The course facilitators are renowned FEI (I) level Eventing Course Designer Jay Hambly of Guelph, ON, and EC Senior Level 2 Eventing Course Designer Laurie Rowan of Cherryville, BC (who was part of the team that built the cross country course at the 2008 Beijing Olympics).

The practical building portion of the training will take place February 21-22 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Campbell Valley Sunnyside Greenhouse in Surrey, BC. Participants will benefit from instruction on practical construction techniques, frangible pin technology and more. The theory course will follow on February 23 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and February 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Surrey, BC, and will focus on the theoretical aspects of eventing course design.

Both the practical clinic and the theory course are integral components of the Equine Canada Eventing Course Designer Accreditation program, and successful completion of one or both parts of the training will be credited toward Equine Canada Eventing Course Designer licencing. Although the option of participating in either one or both components of the training is available, please note that if the training is being used toward maintenance or promotion of Officials certification, full participation in both components is required.

Pre-registration is available until February 8, 2013 at the following cost:
    • single course fee (practical clinic OR theory course) for EC Sport Licence holders or Canadian Eventing members - $150,
    • single course Fee for non-licence holders or non-CE members - $200,
    • combined fee (practical clinic AND theory course) for EC Sport Licence holders - $275, or
    • combined fee for non-Equine Canada Sport Licence holders - $325.
    Registration will be available after February 8, 2013 at an increased cost. The registration form can be found in the Eventing section of the Equine Canada website.

The Canadian Eventing Course Design Practical Building Clinic and Theory Course is sanctioned by Equine Canada and made possible through the financial assistance of Sport Canada. For further information, please contact Crystal Labelle, clabelle@equinecanada.ca, 613-248-3433 x 109
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!