The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolex 2013 rider lineup

Looking at the rider bio's the one by Jennie Brannigan touched a cord. She remembers the absolute brilliance of Bruce Davidson on Little Tricky. It was pouring rain, the course was flooding and many riders dropped out. Than along came Bruce, galloping down the lane as if it was a sunny day.

What rider/horse combination are you going to be cheering on? I think for sentimental reasons I'll be rooting for Will and Twizzle.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I will be cheering for Sinead and Tate.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

super writing by Will...looking forward to more!

I must say I'm a bit disappointed in the choices of riders for this.

Not because these aren't fantastic riders (and excellent writers as well!) They really, really are.

However, these are all people who the eventing public is quite familiar with. Sinead and Will were covered endlessly last year thanks to their Olympic path, and Jennie has had quite a bit of coverage as well thanks to her success. Jennie and Sinead both already write blogs for COTH. All three horses are completely familiar to the public.

I really kind of wish they would have picked at least one newcomer planning on Rolex and maybe one veteran who isn't as high profile. Someone whose story is new and fresh. Like Frankie Theriot a couple of years ago with her horse who was blind in one eye. Even though she didn't end up making it to Rolex, I thought her story was a breath of fresh air, and something completely new to me.

The owner spotlight is interesting....but once again, I'm pretty sure everyone knows all about the syndicates Boyd has going. He and his horses are probably some of the best-covered figures in our sport. I love seeing the spotlight from the view of an owner, but again might have preferred a less well-known pair that the owner was involved with.

Having said that, all four are worthy competitors (and owner), and good writers...I was just looking forward to seeing someone different.