The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A couple bit questions

First question-When using a 3 ring elevator, do you prefer a snaffle and a curb rein, or just the curb? I've seen both ways, but I've always used 2 sets of reins. I'm just wondering if there is a "correct" way. To me, it seems less harsh with 2 sets as you can use the curb as needed.

Second question- How severe do you consider a segunda? I think of it as a medium bit, but a barnmate and I were talking today and she thinks it's rather severe. Just wondering...
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I like the three ring with two reins, but I know some people/ horses who I am fine when they use it with just one.
    I think a segunda is a medium-severe bit, but mostly it depends on the rider's hands
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

The 3 ring you are referring to is called a dutch gag. As you have found, people use this bit in different ways, however, I have been taught that it is properly utilized with 2 reins. Let me explain:
    With one rein you're only getting the "gag" action, but with two reins you have the opportunity to reward, and therefore educate the horse.
    The lower rings on this bit are meant to be used only when you need the extra leverage on horse who gets heavy in your hand, and/or lacks softness in the poll - you educate with the curb rein, and reward with the snaffle rein.

The segunda, while I have never used one, is a severe bit. It will stop a freight train, and its awful to think about it being used in the wrong hands. From what I understand, you're either using this bit or you're not, ie- this is not a bit for seeking contact. Not in anyway similar in function as a gag/elevator. (If you were trying to relate the two....not sure why you're asking).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    The 3 ring you are referring to is called a dutch gag. As you have found, people use this bit in different ways, however, I have been taught that it is properly utilized with 2 reins. Let me explain:
    With one rein you're only getting the "gag" action, but with two reins you have the opportunity to reward, and therefore educate the horse.
    The lower rings on this bit are meant to be used only when you need the extra leverage on horse who gets heavy in your hand, and/or lacks softness in the poll - you educate with the curb rein, and reward with the snaffle rein.
    This. I always ride with two reins.

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post

The segunda, while I have never used one, is a severe bit. It will stop a freight train, and its awful to think about it being used in the wrong hands. From what I understand, you're either using this bit or you're not, ie- this is not a bit for seeking contact. Not in anyway similar in function as a gag/elevator. (If you were trying to relate the two....not sure why you're asking).

Nope, I wasn't trying to compare the two- two separate questions. Just had a conversation about the segunda and was looking for opinions.

As for the 3 ring, that's exactly what I thought, but the last time I was using one, I had someone come up to me and gasp that they had never seen a three ring used with two sets of reins. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Thanks again!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Are you using a 3 ring with a curb chain or a 3 ring elevator like this http://www.doversaddlery.com/hm-dbl-...FfSmPAodukQAPQ ?
    Correct me if I'm really mistaken but there isn't necessarily a "curb" action but poll action with this right? Since there is no curb chain there isn't the same type of action as a pelham but more poll pressure?
    And since the top ring is not attached to your rein, there is always some small amount of poll pressure when you use the big, "snaffle" ring, correct? Not a pure snaffle effect.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    Are you using a 3 ring with a curb chain or a 3 ring elevator like this http://www.doversaddlery.com/hm-dbl-...FfSmPAodukQAPQ ?
    Correct me if I'm really mistaken but there isn't necessarily a "curb" action but poll action with this right? Since there is no curb chain there isn't the same type of action as a pelham but more poll pressure?
    And since the top ring is not attached to your rein, there is always some small amount of poll pressure when you use the big, "snaffle" ring, correct? Not a pure snaffle effect.

It is a leverage rein, but commonly people just call the second rein a "curb" rein, whether or not there is any curb.

To answer your second question-
    With the top ring attached to the cheek pieces and using just one rein on main ring you are essentially using a loose mouthpiece on baucher bit cheeks. Contrary to popular belief, bauchers actually have no influence on the poll. They have no leverage point below the mouthpiece (the fulcrum) to gain any leverage at all. That would defy physics.
    Last edited by Satin Filly; Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

To me, a 3 ring would best be used with two reins. However, I have been laughed at by multiple people at my old barn when I told a barn mate to use two reins...so, if you do, be prepared just in case people think you are doing something quite dumb...

I really like the 3 ring, or 2 ring, if you have a horse that gets "freight-trainy" and you need to be able to pick them up when they get like that, but has a soft mouth, and goes well in a regular snaffle most of the time.

I've never used a segunda, but I do thinks it is a very strong bit, and shouldn't be used all of the time.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I would use a 3 ring with two reins. As someone above said, that way you can actually *teach* the horse something. Most of the time it goes around just fine on the snaffle rein, but you have the curb/leverage/whatever you want to call it rein as a backup of sorts to enforce whatever you're needing to enforce.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I foxhunted my big 18hh Clyde X in one and just used a lower rein, usually on the middle ring. I tried using a snaffle rein as well but found 2sets of reins as well as a hunt whip just too much gear to hold-made my carpal tunnel thing flare up, so went to 1 rein. Out in the woods less finesse and more whoa was important there.