The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aiken Clipping

I'm off to Aiken on friday and clipped the last horse today. Made a bit of a mess of one hind leg and now it looks like he just had his stifle injected!

In Ocala we usually avoid clipping legs as the horses seem so prone to fungus and cellulitis if we do.

Is Aiken similar? Or should I just clip his legs?

Thanks!

I would just clip tp above hocks make it tidy reverse clip and blend it in ....we always left from knees and hocks down on in Ocala every winter

I personally prefer to clip legs if I am doing a body clip, especially if they tend to be fuzzy. It lets you really see their legs and actually makes treating skin issues easier (one of our thin skinned TB's is having issues with fungus and other stuff and our vet was glad we had clipped her legs so we could actually treat the stuff)

Thanks guys!
    If i were to clip his legs do I do them with my regular body clippers? my ear trimmers are not very powerful...

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I would just clip tp above hocks make it tidy reverse clip and blend it in ....we always left from knees and hocks down on in Ocala every winter
    Do you stop just above the knee and above the hock? I'm worried about another visible line - did you do a ^ shape above the knee?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    Thanks guys!
    If i were to clip his legs do I do them with my regular body clippers? my ear trimmers are not very powerful...
    I clip legs with regular body clippers. If they have super tight legs it can be hard, the key is to pick up the foot and relax the tendons. Occasionally I've done touch-ups with ear clippers (namely the elbow area) but otherwise the big clippers are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    I clip legs with regular body clippers. If they have super tight legs it can be hard, the key is to pick up the foot and relax the tendons. Occasionally I've done touch-ups with ear clippers (namely the elbow area) but otherwise the big clippers are fine.
    ^^ this is what I do. But my guys have really hairy legs (the pony in them) so not clipping the legs, or at least down the back of the legs, leaves the legs terribly messy.