The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Vocations Horses

I noticed a very nice horse on New Vocation OTTB website. I spend a good amount of time filling out their application & paid my application fee. I know I would make a great home for this horse. Tonight I came home pulled up the website & noticed going over all their drop downs that they do not do business with states west of Texas, I live in Colorado. Does anyone know why? I'm not happy that this wasn't on the application. Is there away around this provision.

Thanks so much,

Jen

I don't have any personal experience with them at all, but I suggest you contact NV directly and ask. At the very least, your application fee should be refunded.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I email them & they do make exceptions but they never explained why they don't adopt in western states. I hope they change their policy because they have some very nice horses & there are a lot of nice homes for those horses in our western states.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty sure (although not certain) that it has to do with their concerns over shipping the horses. You wouldn't believe the number of adopted horses that get sent back to them (yes, even from well-meaning, loving homes) and I assume it's just easier for them to keep all of the horses in one end of the country. No one really wants to have to fetch a horse from CA and then bring them back to OH.

Maybe so they can check up on adopted horses if need be?

I didn't realize they had places they wouldn't adopt to. That said, I adopted my gelding from them last December and I LOVE him. He came from the PA branch. Everyone was fantastic to work with and very helpful. Nemo is now my heart horse. He's sound, athletic, a cute mover, loves to jump and has a great brain. I can't wait to get him out and about!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I just wanted to let everyone know how wonderful New Vocations was!! They were able to make a huge exception for me & now we are waiting for our lovely new OTTB filly to arrive at the end of next week.

8 members found this post helpful.

I am on CA and we had a NV horse. So it can happen.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Great! They have some lovely horses. Keep us posted.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Are you going to share which one you got? LOVE OTTB's. Such an untapped market for quality sport horses.

Her name is Boxing Lady, I got her as a broodmare prospect but I'm hoping she makes a debut in the hunter ring before becoming a mom.

I'm so sorry I don't have a photo of her of yet but I will soon & she is very eye catching. I was cautioned away from a TB broodmare especially a chestnut but after seeing her I couldn't help it!!
    There is just something about an athletic TB!!!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/boxing+lady