The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to get arena mirrors in New England? Cross posted from around the farm.

In need of recommendations for sources for (indoor!) arena mirrors in New England- purchase & installation.

Also, what experiences have people had with shatterproof glass vs glass with protective film vs non-glass mirrors? I've been in some arenas where the mirrors look like "funhouse" mirrors & are all wavy & distorted looking. Any types to avoid? Thanks in advance!

Where in New England are you? You are welcome to come see ours in MA. We got them from Portland Glass, about $700 for a 4X8 sheet with safety backing set in free-floating frames. We have 12 of them.

Thanks! Did Portland Glass also handle the installation? Did you go with shatterproof glass or glass covered with a film?

Call several of your local glass and window shops. Pick their brains as to what each one offers, and charges. The company that did the arena here, hung the glass, and put up a supporting frame. The barn owner had already installed the 1/2in plywood backing. I believe it is not shatterproof but has a special safety backing that helps. I'm guesstimating that these are 8x10w. Don't know the cost but I do remember hearing that there were distinct differences, not only in cost but also in familiarity with the project.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My husband built the rough backing 2X4s and they put the outside frames on. We went with the backing on the glass, not shatterproof.
    Portland Glass handled the mounting and coordingating angling between adjacent panels. They also had us on a horse to determine angles.

No angling on the ones here. They were hung flat. I guess I need to take a tape measure with me, next time, so I can measure how high up they are hung. I'm guessing they are 3'6" to 4 ' off the footing.

Yes! we are frequently advised NOT to forget to use our outside leg on that wall. Actually I think few horses are tall enough to allow the stirrup to hit the mirror. But anything is possible, I guess, if you try hard enough.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

We have kickboards with a ledge. It would take a very determined horse to get at our mirrors, certainly no stirrups. Ours are hung about 4 ft off the ground.