The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hotel Recommendations for HITS Ocala?

Looking for hotel recommendations for HITS Ocala. Close to show? Cleanliness, amenities? Discounts for exhibitors?
    Finally in FL, loving the weather but still missing the Green Mountains!!

There is a brand new Hampton Inn off 200 where all the other hotels are clustered. Not sure what the rates are or if they are doing discounts for the show. I've always liked the Holiday Inn (a bit on the pricier side but they are just so friendly and accomodating it was worth it.) I do suggest staying away from the Golden Palm.

Holiday inn all the way.

I like the Hilton. Allows dogs and I believe does discounts. They have a restaurant in the hotel which is not bad. Close to chain restaurants and the Paddock Mall. Its a little back off the road, so quiet. I found the Holiday Inn to be large and noisy. I think they had a wedding going on, but the music was loud in the lobby, which was loud, and the restaurant was loud. Full of teeny boppers. But if that's what you're looking for busy and loud, well go for it. Hotels at Rt 200, although a further drive than some others are worth it. Stay away from the ones at the Rt 27 exit. shudder. Ditto the Golden Palm

Last year I started out at a hotel on Rt 200, but switched to one on Rt 27 after a few days....solely because of distance. Getting on the highway first thing in the morning and then sometimes (very) late at night was just something I didn't want to deal with (combined with the 10 or so miles on rt 27). It was more a mental thing than anything else (plus, I don't drive well at night-the roads there are not well lit!).
    I stayed at the Comfort Suites for 6 weeks...and it was just fine (would have liked it more if they had a bar/restaurant). But it had a fridge/microwave/coffee, breakfast every day and 24 hr snack shop. Decent gym and good laundry. Everybody was very nice and it was CLEAN.
    I just called there yesterday because heading down later this month. Rooms are around $80-90 w/HITS discount. It was worth it last year...I think I may have to slum it more this year in effort to save $ but will definitely stay on 27. I'm still undecided. The choices aren't great.
    Agree with SLR....stay FAR away from Golden Palm. And La Quinta. Holiday Inn and Hyatt are very nice. Noisy on the highway, though.