The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Eventing Sire List

The other day I went to the USEF site to look up the various sire lists.
    I think it is tremendous that the USEF records this information and really wish that Equine Canada did.

I was surprised and disappointed to see A Fine Romance so far down the list.
    Clicking on his name I saw that only one horse was listed, Landmark's Ginger Rogers.
    I understand that horses have to be recorded with the USEF, that sire information may not be provided, and that Canadian horses will not be reflected in the tally.
    While I am not sure of how many offspring are competing, I do know for sure that one youngster's results were not included, Landmark's Legendary Romance.

The site enourages you to contact them with errors and omissions, which I did and got an answer back saying the list reflects the information in the database.
    However, Landmark's Legendary Romance is IN the database, with her results, and her breeding clearly listed.

I followed up, forward a link to her results. I received an answer thanking me, but my interpretation is that no change to the ranking will be made. Which I find bewildering and disappointing.

I am wondering if someone more mathematical than I am could help me to tally where AFR would be in the list, if this young mare's results were included?
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

here is a link to Landmark's Legendary Romance's 2012 results:

http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...&badpoints=npb

I have no idea how points are awarded/accrued but what I see listed is:

1 out of 9, 3/11, 4/14, 1/14, 1/32, 2/24, 1/14, 2/36, 1/21

I am sure these results/points would/should move A Fine Romance higher on the list.

if its any consolation, I think most folks know it is not accurate (even when the stallion is listed in the data base as the sire it gets missed.)

1 members found this post helpful.

These programs often require so many hoops be jumped through that unless an owner or breeder is really vigilant and ticks all the boxes, only a small fraction of potentially-eligible horses' scores are actually recorded for placings.

I went through this ages ago when Gwen had a great year and was (according to my math) way up in the points standings for a Silver Stirrup award. Through some weird loophole that I hadn't done, only one show's points were ever recorded and there was no retroactive recalculation.
    Click here before you buy.

In order to earn points, horses must be recorded with USEF and their owner must be a member.

So if the correct boxes are not checked and membership fees paid, doesn't matter how successful a horse is.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

And most people don't register horses with the USEF until they have to-- when they compete at the FEI levels in eventing.

4 members found this post helpful.

If I like a horse, I just look up their pedigree, sire and dam, and go from there. I adore 'A Fine Romance' offspring, and would give my eye teeth to find a good connemara cross sired by him.

Ann

Another issue is the way in which points are awarded. A horse gets the same points for BN as they do for higher levels, which means that a stallion can be near or at the top of the list with one or two offspring winning at BN.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Another issue is the way in which points are awarded. A horse gets the same points for BN as they do for higher levels, which means that a stallion can be near or at the top of the list with one or two offspring winning at BN.
    Actually, that's not the case - there's a multiplier used for higher levels. See here: http://www.usef.org/documents/points...tIncrement.pdf

I definitely agree that there are horses missing in the listings (I know of a couple from Salute The Truth that aren't there either, one of whom did well at Preliminary and another who was at the lower levels).
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

JER - I think that has changed, and upper levels are weighted more now
    Last edited by elizabeth Callahan; Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

There are a lot of issues in trying to maintain these lists, including registration, membership, and lack of manpower.

I've found the USEF people to be very helpful and supportive when contacted on the topic.

Gail, I'm so sorry! Fred deserves all the points that are due him. He's such a great stallion, as his get are proving.

But rest assured there are lots of us who know how wonderful he is!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    If I like a horse, I just look up their pedigree, sire and dam, and go from there. I adore 'A Fine Romance' offspring, and would give my eye teeth to find a good connemara cross sired by him.

Ann
    Thank you everyone for the advice, information and kind words.

I am pretty sure the owner of this horse checked all the correct boxes, and paid all the fees, so the error I would think is on the part of the USEF.
    It may seem like a small thing, but I know that breeders do look at these lists, and it would be nice to have this corrected.

I am going to try to figure out the points myself, and perhaps if I just give that info to Mr Ball, it will be easier for him to update the list.

Ann, there are a few Connemara crosses out there. I agree, I love those Connemara crosses too!.
    The lady who owns Ard Celtic Art has a youngster (filly) by Art out of an AFR daughter. The dam was by Mystic Replica, so I think this filly has eventing written all over her.

Thanks again for your help and advice, I will try again with the USEF and let you know if I have any success.