The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default looking for a pony mullen bit with dee rings... preferably happy mouth or HS Duo type

the challenge is finding it in PONY size need a 4.5. Anyone?

Did you try looking at Myler bits? I had one from them for my daughter's pony about 7 years ago.
    friend of bar*ka

I did manage to find a HS Duo in 4.5" size at one point, but it had loose rings (much easier to find than a pony sized D). I think I contacted all the regular sources for pony tack without much luck. Maybe try emailing the contacts for Happy Mouth and HS directly? They could tell you if what you're looking for exists, then perhaps you could special order it in.

Myler does make pony-sized bits, so if your pony could tolerate a metal mouthpiece versus a plastic one, it would be your easiest source. Most tack shops have rubber mullen mouths in pony size as well (but again often only in loose ring). The upside is that they're cheap and you could make sure your pony likes it before splashing out on a $$$ custom order.

thanks guys, we have the mullen happy mouth loose ring right now and I know she likes the mouthpiece, but it's a bit big and we do show hunters and its a pretty ugly little bit lol. I am probably going to order something from Beris bits coming from Netherlands, but if I could find something cheaper and closer I'd be alot happier. I don't understand why Happy Mouth doesn't make their king dee mullen in smaller than 5 in!!

I have thought of Myler but she prefers a fatter bit, the rubber or happy mouth being best for her.

If you can get a good price on the King D (and the size of the rings doesn't dwarf her face), you could try getting your own custom bit made. I bought a cheap but pretty D, had the mouth piece cut off, and then a new leather covered mouth piece put on that was exactly the right size. The down side is that you need to replace the leather (or whatever covering you decide on) every so often, but it often works out to much cheaper than the super expensive ones from over seas.

I feel for you - I went through all the same things trying to find a pretty, soft little bit for my dainty-headed little horse too!

hmm where did you go to have that bit made?
    I can get a custom Duo in a 4.5 for $300 which I really did not want to do...

My farrier took the mouthpiece out and put a new piece of thick cable in, which I then had a saddler put a leather wrap around. All in all, I was out the $30 or so for the initial bit that I had taken apart, then maybe another $50 tops for the extra work to make the new bit. If you can find yourself a metal mullen mouth, a saddler could just pad and wrap it without even changing the mouthpiece.

interesting, hadn't even thought of doing that, not that it's easy to find any dee mullen mouth in pony size

Here's a full cheek mullen happy mouth in 4.5 (sorry, not a Dee, but may serve your purpose).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Happy-Mouth-...item3f20c99c66

Myler mullen Dee 4.5 http://toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p=89-21323

Would a eggbutt serve your purpose?
    http://www.justforponies.com/nylonmu...eggbutt45.aspx

That's all my search has come up with so far.

not a fan of full cheek and not looking for an eggbut... sorry so narrow in search!

http://www.justforponies.com/mylermullenbarrel.aspx
    Then wrap it in sealtex if you don't like the metal or the roller?
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Is this what you were looking for the Beris for? Keep in mind the Beris bits are very soft/flexible—they're not a hard rubber/plastic like a regular mullen mouth or even a Happy Mouth, so there's a chance it could be NOT enough bit for a pony that's used to a regular mullen mouth.

I agree that your best bet is to take something like this (http://www.justforponies.com/metalabrubberdee.aspx) and Sealtex the middle.

we were going to order the "hard" option of the Beris...
    not familiar with sealtex...where do you get it?

http://www.sstack.com/product/sealtex-bit-wrap/
    It's basically latex that you can wrap a metal bit in to make it softer.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    we were going to order the "hard" option of the Beris...
    not familiar with sealtex...where do you get it?
    Ah, gotcha. Hunterrider23 posted the link to Sealtex—useful stuff for modifying any bit, really.