The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can we be nice? Pretty please. This is someone who seems to be a lovely person, clearly loves her horse and is in the public eye (for better or worse). Perhaps alienating her is not the best course for equestrianism as a whole?

After all, I know of plenty of "professional" horse people with questionable judgment (ie no helmets) and people still pay for their lessons and "expertise".
    Last edited by Mouse&Bay; Feb. 2, 2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Stupid iPad typos...

1 members found this post helpful.

He goes out in a sun pen daily
    wazzat

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    wazzat
    It's a large pipe corral where your horse can get some sun, but not run around. Very useful for horses that live in a barn stall most of the day.

And don't you all get your knickers in a twist about the lack of what you consider turn out, where the horse can romp in a pasture all day. City people love their horses and want to ride too, and this is the best we can do.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I watched that episode LOL She wandered around and the dog barked and chased after her on the horse. Very good pony

I think she is a bunny fu fu about her horses but many are so what?

I enjoy her workouts but dont ever have a hope she can help me with my riding LOL
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I remember when she was on The Dog Whisperer with her little terror of a dog (ever heard of keeping it on a leash?) and the first thing I noticed was her lack of a helmet. That really drives me crazy. But, whatever, good for her. How much does boarding cost out there? Someone posted the name of her barn on the first page. I've never heard of sun corrals before.

Sheesh, tough crowd. I thought it was interesting that's all. Not saying that she is the epitome of equine management.

Thanks meboss for posting this. I like Jillian's workout DVDs and am happy to see she is a rider as well.

I do wish people here wouldn't be so harsh about others' turnaround situations (and if I shared just the stories of when my horse is being a big goofball, I hope I wouldn't get branded a bad horse owner). I feel extremely lucky to board at a stable with 2 weekdays turnout (and whatever turnout I can grab on the weekend). There are few horse boarding facilities in my state and some have NO turnouts at all. We don't all live in horse country, but it doesn't mean we are any less invested in the mental & physical well-being of our horses.

Yeah, I have no problem with the lack of pasture like turnout. If you live in LA, the choices are limited unless you want/are able to travel a long distance to your horse. And nice "green" pasture are almost non-existent, except, I suppose in the Santa Ynez Valley where the race horse breeders have facilities. Still....the Biggest Loser calls their facility "the Ranch," and there appear to be pastures, fencing and ample hills to ride in. Too bad they can't accommodate their "star" and let her keep her horse there.

Her horse management is questionable, however. I've had escape artists and it CAN be prevented if you make the effort. I can't laugh about potential colic/founder, especially in a heavy horse like hers.

The helmet thing, yah. I don't like it either, but c'est la vie. You can't make western riders wear 'em either. I'm a former eventer, and I had a totally reliable horse and was more likely to be hurt if he dropped dead under me than anything he'd do in terms of misbehavior, BUT I finally realized that it didn't matter how reliable MY horse was, I had no control over other horses in my vicinity, nor other people, dogs, traffic, stumbles, etc., etc., so now, I ALWAYS wear my helmet (of course, now I have a rather hot, reactive horse, but you get the point! LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I never realized what a tiny person she is! Her TB looks part draft next to her.
    Does she have a TB too? Because the pic I saw in the article is of her Perch/Friesian cross--LOL!

I saw her with this horse on an episode of The Dog Whisperer. She was on there for dog problems, but part of it was her dog wanting to chase her horse while she was trying to ride. She hopped on that big horse like it was nothing, in just a bridle. Rode him bareback like a pro! Of course the horse was a big, quiet, gentle giant.

Yes, she is a bit of a fruitloop, but seems to really love and care about her animals and I'm sure they are none the worse for it! She's doing the best she can for them and I'll bet they want for nothing.

I had no idea she was into horses. Perhaps they bring some calmness and serenity to her life!
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

It's a large pipe corral where your horse can get some sun, but not run around.
    OH.It's a pipe corral. I'd just never heard it called a "sun pen" before.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I never realized what a tiny person she is! Her TB looks part draft next to her.

'Cos he is; "But off-screen, she just as enthusiastically rides Buzz, her half-Percheron, half-Friesian horse."

I am guessing this is some idiot TV "personality", who rides quite poorly.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by WBLover View Post
    Does she have a TB too? Because the pic I saw in the article is of her Perch/Friesian cross--LOL!
    The article says she had a TB/Appy cross when she was a kid and her dad sold the horse when her parents got divorced as sort of a "screw you". She said she never got over it.

Had my horse sold as a kid... and I never got over it either.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"