The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Interesting Stubben video on saddle fitting TBs

They used Gunport to demonstrate.
    http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...oksFitting.php
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

Stubben NA is one of my sponsors, and I must say, their new saddles are so amazing. They have made a huge difference in the way my horses go. Keith, the demonstrator, is a great guy and very helpful!
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

2 members found this post helpful.

Very educational, thanks for linking to it. It made it very clear what to look for in saddle design and construction to suit the breed.

Huh. I'm shopping for my short backed TB right now and this might give me a new route to look into.

I've always been a fan of Stubbens. Love that the new saddles have a comfy looking seat. Gunport made a very good model.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

The new Stubben models are very nice. I liked a couple of them, but the fit wasn't quite right for Toby. If you haven't tried them and are shopping, you should.

I like the new Stubben quite a lot. Lovely make of saddle with good care to detail.

I'm not sold on the flexible tree at this point. I started looking at them a few years back.
    I think it's not a good thing for the majority of riders because riders (in general) are crooked. This flexible tree is going to then ride crooked on the horse--as opposed to a more rigid tree that will hold the correct shape regardless of rider's asymmetric issues.
    I am just not sure what is right or wrong with that aspect of saddle trees.

also, he has one tid bit backwards. When the pommel of the saddle sits higher, a rider will tip FORWARD. When the cantle of the saddle sits higher, a rider will tip BACKWARD. It's what our body tells us to do to compensate for the unbalanced riding surface. Basic physics on that one.

~he was talking about saddles rocking. That is only if you have an ill fitting saddle (as he said, a saddle that is too wide). I would hope that folks would have saddles that fit well and therefore do not rock back and forth. So though it is a great thing to remind riders of--in general it should not be a selling point for Stubben only.

He talks about 7 different tree types so that the saddle can [drum roll please] fit your horse juuuust right. Many other brands fit by cm increments as well. That is not unique to Stubben.

So thus far I'm not sure what is different about Stubben vs. other saddle companies.

I only made it 6 minutes into the video and now it's stuck on buffering. : (
    I think it's a great saddle fitting video thus far! But not necessarily a video to sell Stubbens only--but more a general info video.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Stubben saddle. I like them very much.

But I would understand the subject more clearly if it were black and white.
    This is what the Stubben tree does that NO OTHER tree on the market sports.
    This is why our product is far superior to ALL OTHERS.

that's what I need. Otherwise I'm lost.

IDK. I've never found TBs any harder to fit. In fact--I have found the hippo round QHs that I've ridden MUCH harder to fit.

Epona- Stubben is a great saddle to look at for a short backed horse because they have a nice upswept panel. Those wide weight bearing panels tend to bridge on short backed horses.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I don't think he was trying to say only Stubbens can fit correctly and don't rock. I think he was just trying to explain some basic saddle fitting concepts.

My TB has been very hard to fit, and yes, I ended up with a Stubben. But I am sure I could have found some other brands (County, etc.) that have TB-friendly designs. It's just that I used my trainer's Excalibur on him, it fit well and I loved it. So that's what I went with.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish he would have used more specifics in his description while demonstrating. For instance, if he would have mentioned the actual size of the tree he was placing on the horse (28,30,32 etc) and not just "medium," "narrow" etc.

I believe that would have made it all the more helpful. Overall, it was a nice, well made video.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    I wish he would have used more specifics in his description while demonstrating. For instance, if he would have mentioned the actual size of the tree he was placing on the horse (28,30,32 etc) and not just "medium," "narrow" etc.
    I agree and would add that an explanation of what the tree measurement really describes. As an engineer it bugs me to be given a measurement and not know what feature it describes.

It describes the distance between the points of the tree.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    It describes the distance between the points of the tree.
    I thought it did but a narrow Stubben is what, 28 cm? That's 11 inches!

I don't doubt you but it would make more sense to me if I could visuallize how far down the points extend as for a given angle, the distance subtended between the tree points gets larger the farther down you go.