The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question General Consensus on BCS of my dog?

Just wondering if people thought my dog was too skinny or ideal body weight. I am pretty sure of the answers I will get.

http://instagram.com/p/Ut4JzCECQl/

http://instagram.com/p/TELL_xkCZp/

http://instagram.com/p/UrKpAJECWd/

Just to show how cute he is:

http://instagram.com/p/VKttyAkCa2/

I hope you can see these. I can get better photos tomorrow if you wish.

Again, this is just a little experiment for myself.

Barely a waist, with the last rib not really even visible? I assume the rest of the ribs can be felt?

She is JUST FINE. She's heavier than my two dogs--I like a little more of a waist than I see in your first picture. She is certainly not too thin. She looks to have good muscle.

I really would not worry AT ALL.

3 members found this post helpful.

A picture taken from above looking down on her back would be helpful. Going off those pictures she looks like a fuller 5 (on a 10 point scale). That being said, pictures can be amazingly deceiving and she might appear heavier/lighter in person.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am used to the 5 point scale, and based on those pictures I would say at minimum a 3. She looks to be a lean type breed (boxer x?), they should have a wide thorax and a narrow abdomen. There should be a visible last rib where the abdomen and thorax meet. I dont think she looks overweight, but certanly not even close to underweight!

2 members found this post helpful.

Looks good to me! Except in the picture where he's giving you the evil snarl look! LOL Stretch him out a foot on either direction and he looks like my BMC. Happy and healthy. I'm not a vet.

Yeah not a vet but I see a male dog...?

Yay! What an educated bunch we have here! He is a 3 on the 5 scale, IMO. He actually has a well defined tuck and nice waist from above. I will try to get some more pictures today. I am finally really happy with his weight. He just had surgery so our 2 mile afternoon walks haven't been happening, but thankfully he hasn't put much if any weight on.

As for breed your guess is as good as mine. He is what we call an island mix.

Most people keep their dogs overweight in the US, so I am glad that the few respond seems to know what a ideal weight dog looks like.

Maybe the word is getting out or I asked a group of educated people. So glad I am going into equine medicine and not small animal. I think the subject if your dog/cat is obese is a little harder than telling an owner their horse needs to drop a few.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Looks good to me! Except in the picture where he's giving you the evil snarl look! LOL Stretch him out a foot on either direction and he looks like my BMC. Happy and healthy. I'm not a vet.

Yeah not a vet but I see a male dog...?
    lol Yes, all male. Well maybe a little less after his operation. He had to have his scrotum removed due to a hemangioma that has a few cells that looked "pre neoplastic".

O just wanted to say that wasn't an evil snarl. He has no front teeth and sometimes he lips get caught in his gums. He was actually sad that I wouldn't give him a twizzler. Silly boy.
    Last edited by Beethoven; Feb. 2, 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Looks like a coon dog mix.
    Let the vet draw blood and see if he has good protein and blood levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Looks like a coon dog mix.
    Let the vet draw blood and see if he has good protein and blood levels.
    No worries he is perfectly healthy. Had full CBC and Chem panel done less than 6 months ago. Has since had blood work done before his surgeries.

I think he looks great for an active pet dog. My young agility dog appears to be a touch thinner, but my older semi-retired agility dog is about the same relative weight.

I do see things moving in the right direction as far as people being more willing to see fit dogs as healthy and noticing obesity more.

He looked good to me. And I'm always being accused of having 'skinny' dogs. When you compare a ideal dog to an obese dog, the ideal dog will look skinny. And I'm constantly after my dad to get the weight off of his dogs but he says the vet says they are just fine. UGH.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think he actually looks slightly over-weight, but pictures are sometimes misleading. With his coat type I'd expect to be able to see the shape of the last few ribs, and you can't. In particular the pic where he's lying down I'd expect to see his ribs but you can't. He's also not very well-muscled- not fit. But that's to be expected with his recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post

O just wanted to say that wasn't an evil snarl. He has no front teeth and sometimes he lips get caught in his gums. He was actually sad that I wouldn't give him a twizzler. Silly boy.
    oh, I always wondered why you called him Gummy!! lol Now I know... I should have asked!!
    He looks good.

When we're at adoption events it never ceases to amaze me how uneducated people can be with that sort of thing. We have/have had a few fosters that stay on the lean side but who are well within the healthy range and yet people stopping by will actually tell us our dogs are too thin. Excuse me?! But it's not too surprising looking at all the dogs that walk through the pet shop doors with their owners. Fat dogs everywhere, grossly fat like engorged ticks.
    But the public's ignorance is also evident when we put water dishes out with the dogs in their pens at events. No water dishes? Not one person mentions the dogs needing water. Give water and leave the dishes there once they're empty? Ten people reprimand us for the dogs not having water. Wtf.
    Tl/dr: people are clueless.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)