The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Mice Have Trashed My Truck! How do you clean it now??

Oh, icky ick! My F350 has been parked for about 2.5 months now (winter) and I got in to start it up (Mr. CC did it back in December) and OMG! It looks like every freaking mouse in a square mile has taken up winter residence in the cab. It wasn't like this in November or December...but it sure is now. It stinks, and there is "evidence" all over the place. It has to sit outside (no garage to fit it into).

How? How do I get it clean now? With the Hanta Virus scare of last summer, I want to be safe about this. I know bleach is the best choice for killing that virus...but how do you do it? It isn't safe to vacuum alone. Do I try to find a detailer that will come out to my house, as I can't imagine driving it anywhere right now.

I feel stupid and am horribly guilty..but how do you avoid this? Help!!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Mice moved into my first truck once, we just shop vac'd it, but we didn't have a hanta virus scare.

Can you spray everything with bleach, let it sit for a day, and then vacuum? Maybe wear a mask?

After the mice moved into my truck, I made a point of turing it on more frequently. Blows the mice out of under the hood. Funny story, one time we turned on one of thr tractors we hadn't used in a while, and a bunch of mice and their nest blew out of the exhaust.

Wear a mask to prevent Hanta virus. Its spread via aerosol when you sweep up their bedding that has been soiled with pee.

I agree with soaking it with something and then picking it up so then you don't aerosolize any pathogens.

Wear gloves and a mask and you should be safe.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Vacuum first (with all doors open, and preferably on a breezy day, and you stand upwind whenever possible. Wear good rubber gloves, mask, and the second you finish trash the gloves, empty the vacuum, and put everything you were wearing right in the wash. I would use a lot of Chlorox wipes to do the seats, dashboards, floors, and every other surface, Make sure the doors stay open until it airs out, and everything is dry. Put cotton balls with peppermint oil on them all over the place in the truck, and wipe lots of the peppermint around the door frames, leave some under the seats and on the floor, and dashboard, and any other surface like a console or whereever you can-we use that at work to keep the mice out and it seems to work nicely.

The mouse invasion isn't your fault, and it is just something that happens. Make sure you or hubby check all of the truck wiring, because the mice love to chew wires.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

At least wear a mask, gloves, spray the air with any disinfectant just to keep the dust down. Wipe everything down with paper towels and throw them out in a tightly closed bag. Nasty situation.

Oh! I didn't think of Chlorox wipes--good one! It has leather seats, so the wipes would work there. Ugh..I guess I need to get some gloves, a mask, and a giant, Costco size container of wipes!! Should I also then bleach all the parts of my shop vac, too?

I'll find the peppermint oil, too. I think I'll move it down to my mom's house in town after it's clean--fewer mice there. We did have a terrible cold snap here (for us anyway!) with nearly 2 weeks of below freezing weather, which is good for cutting down on future bugs, but it also apparently convinced the Mouse Mafia to move into the Big Red Truck.

Oh crap - I haven't looked in my truck in several months either! Guess I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up!

find a detailer that will come to you, tell him about the mice and provide mask, etc for him

What the what? How do you get mice in your truck?? I have a friend who is constantly complaining about mice in her truck, I thought maybe it was where she was parking or something.... I've never gotten wildlife in mine!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    find a detailer that will come to you, tell him about the mice and provide mask, etc for him
    OP, if you go this route, do not provide the PPE. That is the detailer's responsibility. Imagine the liability that you open yourself to if the detailer were to contract an illness or infection while wearing the protective equipment you gave him. You just made the case for his tort lawyer.

OP if I were you I would clean it up myself following the majority of advice you've been given here. The only things I would add is to wear a disposable overgarment that covers your entire body (including head and feet) and wear a real respirator (not a paper mask) with cartridges designed to filter out airborne viruses. I would also thoroughly wet any surface to be vacuumed with a chlorine solution before vacuuming it. Use a wet/dry shop vac and don't forget to dump the contents of the vac into a plastic bag and decontaminate it when done. When bagging waste from this operation do what's called a double J seal on it: twist the opening tightly and wrap with duct tape, then twist the excess left tightly, bend over itself, and tape around one more time.

Respirator cartridges: http://www.activeforever.com/p-19764...espirator.aspx

Respirator: http://www.activeforever.com/p-22442...espirator.aspx

Oversuit:http://www.activeforever.com/p-22097...-coverall.aspx

A long time ago I worked in a job where dealing with radiation and radioactive contamination was part of the work so I remember a few things re dealing with particulate and airborne contaminants.
    Last edited by caballero; Feb. 2, 2013 at 09:21 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't afford a detailer--yikes they are spendy! It would be cheaper and I'd feel better about only exposing me to the risk of any airborne awfulness.

How do you get mice in a vehicle? Live where there are a bajillion deer mice and voles and pack rats and ....park your vehicles outside, don't move them for a month, and watch the magic!! Blech... You'd think our local coyotes would never need to eat my cats, but it must be for the variety in their diets. Seriously, we have so many rodents here it is ridiculous. I have large, open fields surrounding my tiny slice of acreage and they all migrate to my place or something.

The weather this winter hasn't helped--we had intense cold, leaving the ground frozen solid for 2 straight weeks followed by 6-8 inches of non-stop rain over 5 days, leaving the ground under standing water and totally saturated.

My cat caught a vole that was--and I measured it---7 inches long and 3 inches in diameter. Well fed little monster! (a vole is a type of mouse, with no tail, that leaves burrow holes all over the ground)

And then there are the squirrels.
    Had one build a nest with insulation it stole out of a storage trailer we have in the air filter of my truck.

OP you are lucky those little suckers haven't trashed your whole truck. A friend bought a brand new car, was gone for two months and left the car parked. When she came back the car was totaled. Wires, seats, everything. Insurance didn't pay.
    There were so many mice and rats in there that the extermentor she called tented the blamed thing to get all the critters.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Do check with your insurance - some areas cover rodent damage under wildlife damage and you do basic stuff like removal of personal items and then a body shop does the rest.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

My buddy years ago had a GTO in the back yard that he'd never actually gotten registered to his name. When he started to work on it in ernest he went to the DMV and said he couldn't produce any paperwork, that it had been in the center console and mice had got into it and made a huge nest. He offered to bring the nest, they declined and fixed up his paperwork.

This just seems like another story right? No, it's a story about a miracle, because the CA DMV just does not accept your word on registration paperwork, not even back then. They have heard every story out there - so rodents getting into cars can't be a new thing.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Oh, icky ick! My F350 has been parked for about 2.5 months now (winter) and I got in to start it up (Mr. CC did it back in December) and OMG! It looks like every freaking mouse in a square mile has taken up winter residence in the cab. It wasn't like this in November or December...but it sure is now. It stinks, and there is "evidence" all over the place. It has to sit outside (no garage to fit it into).

How? How do I get it clean now? With the Hanta Virus scare of last summer, I want to be safe about this. I know bleach is the best choice for killing that virus...but how do you do it? It isn't safe to vacuum alone. Do I try to find a detailer that will come out to my house, as I can't imagine driving it anywhere right now.

I feel stupid and am horribly guilty..but how do you avoid this? Help!!!
    I feel for you...a mouse built a nest in my motor, without me knowing it, and I got stalled in the middle of the road. The only good thing is it was close to the service station where we do business. $1000.00 later, my car was back to normal!..Not fun!

we had a huge mouse nest in our car's air filter, so big that the mechanics were impressed

I have also heard that BMW's have something in their wiring that the mice just love to eat

the hard part is that if a mouse or rat can get its head through it can get the rest of its body through

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    And then there are the squirrels.
    Had one build a nest with insulation it stole out of a storage trailer we have in the air filter of my truck.

OP you are lucky those little suckers haven't trashed your whole truck. A friend bought a brand new car, was gone for two months and left the car parked. When she came back the car was totaled. Wires, seats, everything. Insurance didn't pay.
    There were so many mice and rats in there that the extermentor she called tented the blamed thing to get all the critters.
    Squirrels trashed our F250.....ate a hole thru the filler neck to the gas tank. $2500 to drop the rear end and replace the gas tank.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

You can look online for medical grade wipes. These are my favorite brand. Seriously, they kill everything. Really, read about them. They are used in hospitals and other health care settings. They have a very strong chemical smell, but I like that. Makes me feel like it is really getting clean. Best things EVER.

http://www.staples.com/Sani-Cloth-Pl...81&KPID=633781
    Last edited by SFrost; Feb. 3, 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the link!
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Definitely use precautions. A man in Ellensburg died from the hantavirus just last year! Don't forget to change you air filter and cabin filter too. They are probably trashed. And next time you have your vehicle in for an oil change or tune up have them check the wires and hoses for chewing.

I did battle with a mouse in my car last winter. Had traps all over. Finally got the sucker. This winter I had a weasel living under the hood for at least a week. At least he didn't get into the interior of the car. Trashed the filters though. And scared the crap out of me when I finally decided to investigate why my dogs kept barking at the right side of my car.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

My wiper motor stopped working on my car once. My SO was going to repair it and once it was taken apart, out strolled a mouse. My SO screamed like a girl! LOL! The mouse had a nest full of babies. Those things had been driving back and forth to work with me (50 mi. one way) for who knows how long.