The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lost Motivation

Anyone else out there just don't feel like riding? I've been so dedicated to the hard work until now. This is the second year I've had an indoor, and I after the freezing cold temperatures we've had I just haven't felt like mounting up even though I don't have to deal with the wind any more. I rode for 20 minutes yesterday and my lesson today was only 40 minutes (horse was great). Love my horse. Want to groom him. But don't feel like WORKING.

I hope it becomes warmer soon or I find my mojo again. Anyone else feel the same way?

Order yourself a good dressage book, stat!!!!
    Get thee auditing some clinics too.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Nothing wrong with lunging your horse or hacking out on a trail ride.

How about reading a dressage magazine for motivation?

Read dressage or watch some videos on Dressageclinic.com. Nothing makes me want to ride more than trying a new idea. Buy a new pair of breeches.

My horse and I worked pretty darn hard in 2012 - from 2 months in FL riding 5x a week to a lot of practicing and showing. By the time we hit the last show in October, I think both of us were done with it. We had "no-dressage" November, which consisted of trail riding, riding outside as much as I could, and very low pressure, short schooling sessions. Then the bad weather hit and it's been a little of this and and a little of that ever since. I don't like to ride him when it gets below 30 so I've been putting him in the round pen or he goes out most of the time the weather is OK.

Then, to top that off, we had a major mishap at the barn that involved a Trakehner, a stall door, and two of us riding - and I just found out Thursday that I have a hairline fracture in my back from that - so 6 more weeks of light riding.

Bottom line: enjoy the time off, rest your mind and your horse so that when the weather gets better you're both ready to start back into work. I don't think what you're feeling is strange at all.

Constant work ends up being drudgery!

I definitely lack the motivation to get bundled up, tacked up, and pray that my footing is safe enough to ride on now that it's in the 20's, snowy, icy, and just too dang cold! However, I am seriously jonesing for spring, and WANT to ride ride ride once it gets better.

My horse is losing condition, and getting fat and sassy, but luckily it doesn't take long to get him back on track and his mind is usually better after the break. Cmon spring!!

Yes! I feel you. I have zero motivation to put on breeches and take the time to tack up for a ride when the weather is in the single digits. More often than not I end up picking out hooves, slapping a halter on and hopping on over top of a blanket for a "hack". Being stuck in the same boring indoor for the past few months hasn't helped (I know, I shouldn't be complaining)

i think it is totally normal... i say be kind to yourself and take some time out..... groom, hand walk, whatever ... just enjoy your horse - you will get your mojo back soon enough and sometimes down time can really help shape a new perspective....

I'm right there with you. . . first, I don't have an indoor, and my outdoor is a skating rink at the moment. Second, I am recovering from a nasty bout of sinusitis which laid me out for a week. Thankfully beloved hubby did the chores. . third, it's still pitch dark about 40 minutes after I get home from work at 5:30 which doesn't leave much time to tack up and hack down the road, even. So at the moment I am well and truly grounded, sigh. But I am beginning to feel very restless and ready for at least the chance to go for a hack. . .my mare will need some turnout first though or she might explode under me. We haven't put the horses on the back 40 for the past couple of months because we don't have a freeze free water system back there - so they have been confined to the backyard paddock where we do have a heated water tank. They've just been standing around, or rolling, and eating. . . .

Honestly, we end up giving our horses the winter off. They (and us) have worked hard all year. A break is good for both the riders and the horses. This said the length of winter break is entirely up to the individual. Our show seasons starts in April so we typically start the horses back to work in Feb or March at the latest (depending on weather- no indoor), our show season ends in October. Personally I wish our season could start a month later and end in Nov. Regardless, after a couple months off during the coldest part of the winter my horse and I are always chomping at the bit to go back to work.

For me the hardest part is getting out the door. Once I'm at the barn, I'm fine. But I'm a stay at home mom, so when it's 20 degrees out, you're lucky if I bother to put on a bra under my pj's.

I just renewed my subscription to dressagetrainingonline and bought a few new books. That always helps me. If I watch/read just a little each night, I go to bed and wake up really wanting to go try out what I learned.

Something else to consider: try teaching something completely new on the ground. I have no idea what level you and your horse are, but sometimes schooling the same things over and over can get horribly depressing. Try something totally new. You'll see quick progress as you and your horse learn which can really help with motivation. Try a trick like stepping up on a pedestal, ground tying, lateral movements in-hand, or long lining. Lots to choose from and you don't even have to groom much or put tack on if you don't want to.

So, I made a decision. For at least a couple of weeks (maybe all of February), I'm just going to ride in my lessons (2x per week) and show up to watch my trainer ride him (1x per week). On the other days, I may or may not even go to the barn (he's turned out, so no biggy). If I go, I may just groom or take him for a walk (unmounted), or teach him tricks. If I feel like riding, then I will. No pressure.

My lessons have been going great, so I'm motivated to ride then. But not even a fabulous show this weekend got me enthusiastic for riding on other days. I just can't wait until spring!

1 members found this post helpful.