The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Exclamation Is 7.2 Glucose really high???

Just took my gelding in on Monday for a check up 4 months after starting a short fibre diet protocol for suspected colitis/hind gut ulcers. (Also there for teeth issues but will save that for another thread).

I was just emailed the results of his Biochemistry as the machine at the vet clinic was acting up when we were there. The good news is that his protein levels are back up to within normal range (61) (YAY!) but his Glucose was 7.2 (says range is 4.0-6.0). I won't be able to speak to the vet until next week (he is a professor at the University and not in the clinic every day).

I'm just curious for those who have had glucose tests done - is 7.2 very high?? The test says "may need to investigate insulin resistance". I'm not totally surprised that his glucose is high. In hindsite I have realized that he doesn't do well with the fructans in grass in the summer. The only thing I think I need to tweek in his current diet is the rice bran. Either to cut it out completely or give him less. He is getting soaked alfala pellets with a cup of rice bran, ground flax and oil three times a day.

Thanks!

Blood glucose levels are also largely affected by the time of the last feeding.

Right now with your feeding plan, though, all I really see is fiber with fat drizzled with fat. :/ What is his body condition score?

Are you sure that is a glucose level? I'm not a vet, but I was under the impression that horse glucose levels were fairly comparable to those of humans--which would mean a level of 7 would be quite fatal. You sure this isn't a glycohemoglobin or something?

Or are you confusing the glucose level with the protein level? A protein level of 7.2 makes sense and a glucose of 61 makes sense . . . did you swap the numbers, by chance?
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Are you sure that is a glucose level? I'm not a vet, but I was under the impression that horse glucose levels were fairly comparable to those of humans--which would mean a level of 7 would be quite fatal. You sure this isn't a glycohemoglobin or something?

Or are you confusing the glucose level with the protein level? A protein level of 7.2 makes sense and a glucose of 61 makes sense . . . did you swap the numbers, by chance?
    Turns outs in humans the recommended fasting glucose level in humans is between 4 and 7 mmol/l. I assume DW was thinking only of mg/dl? Where the same range is around 70-100 (I didn't look up the exact conversion).

OP, if the the horse just ate, it wouldn't concern me. I would take a fasting blood sample if it was a concern. Definitely no need to panic! And yep, protein of 61 is good!

Yes! Just looked at it the test again Deltawave and Flyracing is correct. The unit is mmol/L for the glucose and the protein is g/L with a range of 57-70. Thanks Flyracing!

SuzQuzie - what is wrong with feeding fibre and fat?? He is also on soaked Tim/alf cubes three times a day per short fibre protocol. Where I live it gets to minus 30 and the cubes will eventually freeze. The fat makes sure he's getting enough calories and fat is recommended for treatment of colon issues. Apparently it is suspected to help repair the mucus lining or something? The vet said he's actually at a perfect weight right now.

Ah, mmol/L. Sorry. Carry on.
    Click here before you buy.

The potential problem with his diet is that you don't have any sort of fortified grain or multi-vitamin, or at least none that you mention. If you don't your horse possibly isn't getting the proper nutrition.

Ah yes. He's on a vitamin (it's in liquid form from the vet can't recall the name). He's also on yea-sacc and Equishure. I was just listing the actual food. I should mention that he's not in work right now either.

Oh no, nothing wrong with feeding fat & fiber to most horses, especially those that need the calories. I have seen many high BCS horses being fed gobs of fat without any true need for the calories. A vet I work with & I were also recently discussing how she is seeing more chronic obesity-associated laminitis than she remembers in the past, so that definitely came to mind reading your OP.

As for fat aiding in colon health, I'm very skeptical. Fat is actually quite toxic to gut flora since it tends to cause acidotic conditions in the hindgut, which is inhospitable for said flora. The official recommended crude fat intake without impeding fiber digestion for the horse by the NRC is a maximum of .7g DM/kg BW/d. That would be 350g for a 500kg horse, which would translate to 20lb of 2% crude fat hay (164g) & 4.5lb of 10% crude fat grain.

(Yes, I know that most equine nutrition text books state 15% crude. That number is based 1970's studies that looked at two things: (1) horses will eat it and (2) 15% was safe over periods between 10 & 18 days. The longest study yet conducted that I know of for high fat feeding is only 390 days with "high fat" 8% CF.)

I would love to look at the research that you are talking about, though. I try to stay up with the latest.