The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default link between MSM and Focus Equine making horse extremely spooky

Has anyone noticed a possible link between MSM + Focus Equine = crazy batty horse?

My Story:

I had an arab mare that was a hot spooky horse, she was on msm off and on which really didn't seem to make much off a difference in her spookiness. Then I read about Magrestore and Focus Equine and put her on it. She was on msm at the time and had been for a while. The first couple of days she seemed ok when I worked with her, not much of a difference really. Then the 4th day hit, I took her to the round pen and she was horrible- spooking at every little thing, very tense and antsy like she was in a ring full of horse eating tigers. The sweat was pouring from her. She could not focus or calm down. I went home very discouraged because I'd read so much good about those 2 supplements. I did a bit of research and came across someone who took her mare off of MSM and had great results with the 2 calming supps. So thats what I did and a few days later my mare was much better, and every day she just got better and better until she was so much calmer than ever before I was singing the praise of Magrestore and Focus Equine.

And then, I got another horse. This QH mare is a naturaly calm horse, she does have training issues, but she's not spooky like the arab mare. She's been on a joint supp with msm since I got her a year ago. This has never seemed to be an influence in her quiet days vs. her more hyper days. She has mental trouble with the canter so I thought I would put her on Focus Equine thinking maybe it would help her to calm down and focus when working on the canter.
    The first week it worked beautifully, we were cantering around on a loose rein out in the field.
    The second week she was a holy terror running off with me.
    The third week I took her to the round pen and she was so tense- spooking and jumping at everything. It took alot of work to get her to calm down and focus, and still she was super antsy about everything. And this made me remember what had happend with my arab mare.

So...anyone have similar experiances?

I'm going to take her off of the Focus Equine (I'm almost out of it anyway) and see if that makes a difference. I think I will purchase some more to give to her but take her off the joint supp to see what the result is.

Yup. The search function isn't working right for me, but it has come up in the past. I own a horse who goes INSANE on MSM- not just "feeling good," he gets spooky and aggressive.

Best thing I can recommend is foregoing the MSM altogether.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

I know that some horses can get crazy when on msm- but both horses had been on msm without problems. Or rather when they were on msm they were typical horses with calm days and hyper days- the QH mare has been on msm for a year without acting crazy. It wasn't until I added the Focus Equine to her diet that she went all loopy on me. So really Im wondering if the mix of the two is a bad thing.

One of mine got nutso on the Focus...one was much better on it.

I would forgo the Focus

2 members found this post helpful.

My OTTB goes nuts on MSM- really crazy, spooky. I couldn't figure it out, finally realized that it was the only thing that had changed in his life, did a search here and a Google search, and voila, lots of people saying the same thing. I don't know what it is about the MSM- but i stay away- He was off it for about a week and back to normal, mostly un-spooky self.

My mare is wonderful on the Focus. Give her MSM and she's very spooky, reactive, and unfocused.

So it is has been a week since I took her off of msm- I also took her off an herb (milk thistle pwd) that I realized I had started giving her 2 weeks before the spooking episodes started. I kept her on the Focus Equine.
    So yesterday she wasnt near as bad (wind was calm) very looky and distracted but only one big spook at a tumble weed caught in a jump in the arena.
    Today still pretty looky and distracted but no spooking and she worked well.

If the horse has a sensitivity to ingested sulfur, MSM can cause a reaction

very few horses actually NEED additional magnesium. Too much of it CAN cause issues.

I am flat out gobsmacked that people buy it in droves and folks are getting quite wealthy off selling it as it is dirt cheap and most horses don't need it.

sorry for rant... i personally would take my horse off it and then spend the $$ on a good trainer it will in the end serve you better

I have two really calm, laid-back horses that get CRAZY aggressive when they are on MSM. It took a few weeks to figure out the connection both times, but once I took them off they were fine. Both these horses are older and needed joint supplements (IMO, and vet agreed), so I switched them to something else.

I for one am for only feeding what's necessary. Do both of these horses have medical issues that they need supplements for.
    Or can you just back step their training, so they completely understand what is being asked of them, that alone will get rid of most nervousness and spooky behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    very few horses actually NEED additional magnesium. Too much of it CAN cause issues.

I am flat out gobsmacked that people buy it in droves and folks are getting quite wealthy off selling it as it is dirt cheap and most horses don't need it.

sorry for rant... i personally would take my horse off it and then spend the $$ on a good trainer it will in the end serve you better
    10gm, which is what's in Magrestore, isn't an overdose for most horses, but it IS enough that it might show a positive effect if the horse is deficient. It's a cheap, easy thing to try.

NOT to hyjack the thread, but my mare has the same reactions when she eats soy. I guess there are other things horses can eat and have reactions to.

I DO totally believe you OP on the msm and focus equine.

I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks.

Back in the 1990's I put my TB mare on MSM when we were ready to move up to Prelim eventing. No soundness issues, just as a protection. Nothing much else available at the time PLUS we had about 10 other horses doing well on MSM.
    She developed serious stomach distress and stopped eating. As in you could hear her gut sounds just standing next to her. Stopped the MSM, her stomach quieted and she began eating again.
    Figured she was like my Mom and I, both of us are unable to take sulpher based medications.
    The spooking could be a result of stomach distress, akin to horses with ulcers being on the spooky side.

If your purpose was MSM for joint care, then look for joint suppliments without MSM. I have tried using some suppliments containing 'small' amounts of MSM and she.just.stops.eating.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Mare is normally a calm horse and had been on msm off and on through out the year- but suddenly she started acting crazy and spooky. The only change was adding FE and that herb. I'm really suspecting that herb- but maybe all of the sudden the FE and msm caused a reaction resulting in spooking? I'm giving her several weeks to get all settled then I'm going to add the msm back- just cause I'm so curious if it's the combo of FE and msm.

Reason I started the FE in the first place was because she struggles with the right lead, it started out physical and became mental. Plus she is just weaker on that right side, I had hoped to address the mental with the FE. And it seems to be working, yesterday she was able to pick up and maintain the right lead without getting upset.

OP not sure where you llive, but honestly - what you describe (having issues with a certain lead) is a training issue and getting someone who can help you get her more balanced and working evenly will be a solution that will work for the rest of her riding life and it will help you wiht your next horse too.

supplements are just bandaids - you need to learn how to solve the issue in a more complete manner.

a good dressage, event or hunter trainer (or whatever your discipline of choice is) will help you learn how to ride her to balance and wellness.