The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Button braids on a long and thick mane?

My horse is an Arabian and she has a very thick and long mane. I will not pull it nor will I cut it short. The hunt club I want to start getting involved with will not allow running braids. They suggested I do button braids. I saw a video on how to do them, but I don't think they understand that when I say her mane is thick, I mean it is really thick. Will button braids even work or look ok on a long, very thick mane? I put this is the dressage section because I know some dressage riders do button braids.

I wish my horse's mane were longer and thicker so my braids would look bigger - here was my first attempt at braids that would look better with a longer, thicker mane!! It's the second picture. Not sure how they would look on a petite (?) Arabian, but you're looking for function in this case, right? Good luck!

http://s1325.beta.photobucket.com/us...horse/library/

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't see how you could do button braids...they age generally done with a standard dressage length (longer than hunter) mane. If you mare has a natural mane, I just don't get how it would work.
    Maybe you could get creative and split her mane to two sides, making it much thinner. Then you could possibly fould the braids in two and button the folded braids?
    Just brainstorming here... Not sure that would work!

You say "Hunt Club" is this for foxhunting or show hunters? Did the person in charge *actually tell you* that a running braid is a no go? Have they seen what you have to deal with? What are the occasions you will have to braid...."A" shows?

I had a horse once that had such a thick mane that I could have done each side separately, but since that's not the done thing in dressage, or I suspect anywhere else. I spent a lot of time pulling it.

This is obviously not an option for you.. I would suggest having a go at buttons. I can understand their reluctance with a running braid. I can just see one tangled in an apple tree.

Do you really want to hunt?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

You can. Just roll them up more times. I would also use smaller sections of mane, the usual for button braids is 3". I did this for a connemara stallion at an event. The owner thought they looked great. You will have to do a bit of sewing, so make your string REALLY long just to be sure you don't run out with the braid halfway done up.

I would braid down, tie off at the end then double it under itself so it is 1/2 the length and then start the braid like a normal shorter but thicker braid. I hope this sort of makes sense.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

If you are speaking to a fox hunting club, I find this a bit shocking.

Even the most upper crust clubs I know of allow certain "native" breeds to be turned out in running braids. Furthermore, braiding is typically only done for the holy days (i.e. opening day) or joint meets. In theory, if your club truly wanted you to do hunter braids, you could just opt out of the other days (many do already, because they just hate plaiting!).

Double check with your hunt secretary that you heard correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ISR View Post
    If you are speaking to a fox hunting club, I find this a bit shocking.

Even the most upper crust clubs I know of allow certain "native" breeds to be turned out in running braids. Furthermore, braiding is typically only done for the holy days (i.e. opening day) or joint meets. In theory, if your club truly wanted you to do hunter braids, you could just opt out of the other days (many do already, because they just hate plaiting!).

Double check with your hunt secretary that you heard correctly.
    My first reaction, too. As a long time foxhunter, and former staff, I would never tell a potential new member that they could not do running braids. But my hunt was not super-strict about traditions, and gave lots of leeway to newbies. We only braided for opening meet and maybe one or two other occasions during the season. Instead of a new braiding technique, I might be looking for a new hunt club... Just sayin'
    Fox Wood Farm

With a long mane...really a running braid is all you can do. If you keep it close to the neck and tight on the neck, it really shouldn't look that out of place.

Otherwise....if you want to do button braids, you will need to do as someone posted. Take a smaller amount of hair, braid down. loop the braid and sew it together ending with your string at the end....ther pull it back up again...keep folding it up etc. You can make it look decent...but I would think a tight running braid would look better.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

That's odd. We braid for holy days. There are several of us with Arabs who do a running braid. I can't imagine the Masters telling any of us we couldn't do that since its breed appropriate for our horses.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    That's odd. We braid for holy days. There are several of us with Arabs who do a running braid. I can't imagine the Masters telling any of us we couldn't do that since its breed appropriate for our horses.
    Exactly. I guess I'll get some thread and a braiding needle and see what I can do. If it looks really ridiculous or takes hours then I will talk to the master myself and see what she says.

I have friends that hunt with their arabians and a running braid is considered appropriate. You can try a 4 strand french braid which stays up on the crest.

Perhaps a scalloped braid would be acceptable? It's a bit neater than a running braid IME (stays in better).

If "regular" button braids dont work for your horse. You can try to to them like this:

http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com...b15cfd5afa.jpg

You fold the thick part up and then wrap the smaller end around the braid.

Wow, Piaffeplease, that is a heck of a good braiding job! Who is the horse?

I dont know the horse. I saw this braiding job and thought it would be great if I ever had a horse with a long mane, but wanted to do button braids. He is so fancy looking!

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post
    If "regular" button braids dont work for your horse. You can try to to them like this:

http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com...b15cfd5afa.jpg

You fold the thick part up and then wrap the smaller end around the braid.

I do something which looks like this, but it's actually tied in a knot. You need some length to get the knot tied and I think it would work quite well on a very thick mane. My horse has a super thick mane (enough for four manes!) but I thin it out heavily with thinning scissors from the crest.

So the method is:

Plait down and incorporate some wool from about half way. (For me I plait five times then add it in.) Tie off.

Then tie the plait into a knot close to the crest. Tie each one the same way obviously so they will be even.

The tail of the plait, with the wool, will be sticking out the side (in my case always to the left.) Get your pull-through and stick it downwards through the base of the plait, close to the crest. Hook your wool and pull upwards. This will lock the knot in tight.

Split the two pieces of wool and wrap down each side to the bottom, tie, pull up to the top and tie off with a reef knot.

I'm totally plaiting challenged and this method works a treat for me. It's the best plaiting I've ever done and I won't go back to stitched English plaits. I find it's very secure. It won't fall out and it's very easy to undo when finished.

Lots of fat little braids running up and down her neck.

Any updates on what they said about the running braid?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelatus View Post
    I do something which looks like this, but it's actually tied in a knot. You need some length to get the knot tied and I think it would work quite well on a very thick mane. My horse has a super thick mane (enough for four manes!) but I thin it out heavily with thinning scissors from the crest.

So the method is:

Plait down and incorporate some wool from about half way. (For me I plait five times then add it in.) Tie off.

Then tie the plait into a knot close to the crest. Tie each one the same way obviously so they will be even.

The tail of the plait, with the wool, will be sticking out the side (in my case always to the left.) Get your pull-through and stick it downwards through the base of the plait, close to the crest. Hook your wool and pull upwards. This will lock the knot in tight.

Split the two pieces of wool and wrap down each side to the bottom, tie, pull up to the top and tie off with a reef knot.
    Would LOVE to see photos if you have them of how to do this or the finished product. I have a 3 1/2 foot long mane I want to try to braid, a little daunted by it not gonna lie...
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave