The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New rule for 2013, correct diagonal required.

DR117 The Position and Aids of the Rider.
    7. When rising trot is permitted in a test or class, the rider should change the diagonal when changing directions, except during a lengthening. The correct diagonal is considered to be when the rider is sitting when the outside front foot and inside hind foot are on the ground.

So I wonder - do they expect a change at X, or can the rider change at the new long side ?

I know technically the bend should change at X, but some horses and riders are not so steady in a posting change..... or they go better on one bend than another.....

Approved rule changes located here
    http://prc.usef.org/reports/USEFSear...DR&compyear=12

whoops, I accidentally quoted someone else from another BB when I copied that! Well, I am curious as well.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Feb. 1, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    So I wonder - do they expect a change at X, or can the rider change at the new long side
    Inquiring minds want to know. My trainer asks that I change at the new long side. I will have to ask her at the next lesson.

What about leg yield???

1 members found this post helpful.

I was always told that if you're going to change the posting diagonal when changing rein, to do it before you start across the diagonal, or immediately upon completing it, so as not to disturb the "balance" across the arena diagonal.

But...what about the TL one loop serpentine. I change diagonals when posting because my horse bends better when I do. I've heard one judge say one should NOT do that, and another saying one definitely SHOULD!!

Ditto question re leg yields, I switch to the "new" diagonal when asking for the rail to centerline leg yield. Wonder what the consensus is on that!

DR117 The Position and Aids of the Rider.
    7. When rising trot is permitted in a test or class, the rider should change the diagonal when changing directions, except during a lengthening. The correct diagonal is considered to be when the rider is sitting when the outside front foot and inside hind foot are on the ground.
    Um, wait, isn't that backward? I believe I've been taught to rise when the outside front leg is forward. Or does "on the ground" mean back?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

The thread title is incorrect. "should" does not mean required. ("must" does).

And sitting when the outside fore is on the ground is the same as rising when the outside fore is forward.

Quote Originally Posted by norton View Post
    What about leg yield???
    Is there a test that asks for leg yield in posting trot?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I think it was me you quoted. That's OK - I want to know, too!

"should" may not mean "must" - but it will affect a rider's score in the collectives, if they don't do something they "should" do!

L

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Is there a test that asks for leg yield in posting trot?
    You are permitted to rise in First level, where the LYs are......

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    The thread title is incorrect. "should" does not mean required. ("must" does).

And sitting when the outside fore is on the ground is the same as rising when the outside fore is forward.
    My thought exactly. And there is no right or wrong diagonal mentioned.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Now you're saying that should and must are different and a judge can interpret this rule differently!

Even more confusing!

If I change my diagonals in what the judge considers the wrong spot would I be penalized?

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I think it was me you quoted. That's OK - I want to know, too!

"should" may not mean "must" - but it will affect a rider's score in the collectives, if they don't do something they "should" do!

L
    Nope. They cannot go after you if the language does not require it.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Now you're saying that should and must are different and a judge can interpret this rule differently!

Even more confusing!

If I change my diagonals in what the judge considers the wrong spot would I be penalized?
    Nope. It's a general directive, not an absolute statement.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

When scribing, I have already had judges comment on diagonals, and on how being on the correct one may have helped the movement (or by not switching mid-lengthening may have improved the flow)

Is it possible this rule is just to legitimize/make clear to riders, what judges are already are commenting on?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

The judges should have NOT been commenting on the diagonal chosen before this rule.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Even more confusing!
    "Should" is a recommendation

"Must" is a requirement

Nothing new there

Gee thanks.

How does that help determine if the judge will penalize me for being on the wrong diagonal? Why leave it open to the judge's opinion? Or is it just poorly worded in the rule?

Change diagonals either at the beginning or end of a change of rein (IMO, change at the end of the change of rein.)

I would not change diagonals in the flat loop serpentine. More chance of disturbing your horse's rhythm. However, if it HELPS your horse to do so, by all means! I'd just find all that diagonal-changing confusing and unnecessary.

If a rider rides a whole test on one diagonal, I believe that rider deserves a lower score in the collectives and comment from the judge to watch diagonals.

I know technically the bend should change at X, but some horses and riders are not so steady in a posting change..... or they go better on one bend than another.....
    if you are talking about changing across the diagonal there should be no "bend" because it is a straight line.... you would of straightened the horse as you come onto the diagonal then as you approach the opposite side prepare for the new bend....

?

so until this rule change being on wrong diagonal did not matter at all?