The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default loss of a pet spinoff (dreams?)

The loss of a special pet got me thinking.. how much do you dream about your pet, long since gone?

I know everyone must. In some dreams, they were missing and then returned, and in some they were just always there.

I was lucky enough to always have animals in my life growing up. When i have dreams of them, even 10/15 years later, i feel lucky i had them in my life. I won't forget them. I honestly feel blessed having shared their life.

I know there are certain triggers in day-to-day life that will subconsciously remind you of them, but i think it's a good thing.

I really have no point in this post, aside from the fact that the pain of the loss of a pet (or, in my case, even a loved person) will get better.
    If you see and/or reminded of them in a dream, it means so much.
    They were as lucky to have you as you were as lucky to have them.

My BuddyRoo was kind of my childhood buddy.

When things were rough at home, I walked to the barn (2mi away) and cried into his neck.

I DO dream about him from time to time. But it's always very comforting.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

BuddyRoo- i always feel comforted by these dreams, i can't explain it. I don't know (or care) if it's religious or spiritual, but i feel like there is just something there.

When someone says something has "touched your life", you know when it actually has.

He was my dog, my first dog. My parents got him for me when I was 12. An Afghan hound, Siddhartha. And he was my boy. I'd have to sneak out of the house to go to school because he'd bark until I got back if he saw me leave. When I lost him when he was 14 (an old age for afghans), I had recurring dreams, heart-rending dreams where he'd come to the door, come in and walk right past me, not acknowledging my presence (which he never did, I was always the North to his compass). After about 4 months, I adopted Kate from the Humane Society. Kate was a dobe X pointer cross. That night, I had the dream with Siddhartha again, only this time he walked to me and put his head in my lap. That was the last time he visited me in my dreams.

StG

1 members found this post helpful.

St.g, wow, that made me teary..

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post
    St.g, wow, that made me teary..
    Me too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Just thinking about Sid still makes me cry, 25 years later. I've loved and lost other dogs since then, but I've made sure I never had just one dog. It hurt too much. I never regret the pain, though. To me, it's like that scientific equation - you know, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". The other side of the equation of love isn't hate, as some people think. It's grief. You can't have one without, some day, having the other. And how much paler our lives would be without love.

StG

2 members found this post helpful.

Me three. I see my lost animals in my dreams a lot, just like people I've lost, there's a different feel to a dream that is more of a visit and the ones that are just a dream.... with my animals I have dreams where my prevailing emotion is "well there you are, where have you been?" Back together again. I'm sure the things we love visit us always... love is an energy and energy can't be created or destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post
    BuddyRoo- i always feel comforted by these dreams, i can't explain it. I don't know (or care) if it's religious or spiritual, but i feel like there is just something there.

When someone says something has "touched your life", you know when it actually has.
    I recently laid to rest my beautiful girl of 16 years. Two days after it I dreamed of her. We were out in her favorite area taking a walk.

A cat that I had living with my parents at the time came to me in a dream. I was searching for him and couldn't locate him anywhere. Just before I woke up I realized I couldn't find him because he was with my parents. Two weeks later I received a call from my parents calling to tell me that they had to put him down. Fritz had stomach cancer. I loved him and really missed him but I was living with someone who had cat allergie.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

Whenever I am riding a horse in my dreams, I am ALWAYS riding my childhood jumper pony, Precious. She was one of those incredible partners who knew what I wanted just by thinking it (and tried her heart out to perform). She died a long time ago on the surgery table during a tragic and sudden colic and I have had, and loved, many horses since.

But I cannot even recall a horse dream in which I was not riding her. I am pretty sure she must be my equine soul mate. I just hope I get to ride her again in the afterlife, should there be one.

I dream of my good dog, Montana. She was my best friend and constant companion through those rough years of teenager and young adult. She'll be gone 8 years May 5. I love seeing her in my dreams. When she was here with me, she made me feel incredibly safe (she was fiercely protective of me), and when I dream of her, I always wake up feel safe. I do see her, with me, from time to time, though far less so than the first year or so after she left me.

I also dream of my childhood Lab, Sam, sometimes, but less than Monty. He was just a good sweet dog who filled my young life with lots of great, doggy memories.

I have two cats that passed, and I will dream of them on occasion. For a long time, I still saw the last one who left sitting in his favorite places around the farm where he last lived with me. He was a watcher, and he watched even after his departure.

Funny, I don't dream of the one horse of mine I had to put down. I don't know why. I loved him dearly.

And, I dream of my dad, a lot. I miss him terribly. I have very good dreams and very bad dreams (fighting with him). Thankfully, the good dreams are far more common. I have woken up feeling his arms around me. I love those dreams so, so much. I have seen him watching me occasionally, too. My heart is glad that all my family's dearly departed pets are with him, keeping him company and being well looked after until we get there, too. His best friend, Moses, passed away last year. He lived to the very ripe old age of 15. We miss him, but I am sure he is very, very glad to be with his most beloved person.

OK. Now I'm crying.

When I dream of my lost pets, I always know that they are dead and are just back for a visit. My dog always seems so strong and energetic, not like she was towards the end of her life.

I've felt my cat jump on my bed and walk on the blankets. It's happened three times and it's so real and definitely not a dream. An animal communicator (yeah, scoff all you want) asked me once if I had a small gray cat and she told me she visits me. She's never been in my current home so it's nice to know they'll follow us no matter where we are.

I can't say that I dream about lost pets, but occasionally I will "feel" them on the bed when I am sleeping. So real that I have woken and actually reached down to pet them.

I lost all of my dogs in a fire in December.

One night, I woke up to the sound of soft barking.

Both my beloved Chihuahua and our little deaf/blind Dachshund would bark at me to put them on the bed.

I cried for hours after waking up - for the briefest moment I thought one of them was there. Maybe they were.

Otherwise - I often dream about my pets that have passed on.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

My heart dog visits every now and then - typically it's when I'm upset or stressed about something. The visits are very brief, but always leave me calmer than anything else could. She was a blue-tick coonhound with a very unique hound smell, a smell that my current dogs do not have....and often times when I awake from those visits I can still smell her in my room. She died before I moved to this house, so it's very comforting to me that she still visits me even now in my new house. She was the love of my life, and my very best friend, and to this day 3.5 years after her sudden and unexpected passing, I still can't talk about her at any length or I just sob. She and I had the most unique of bonds and were very attached to each other - I miss her so very much and think of her on a daily basis.

I had 2 cats that have visited me from time to time, but I knew after the last visit that that was the last time. There was a very real sense of checking in on me and letting me know that I would be ok from this point forward. It was definitely a goodbye visit - and I've not "heard" from either of them since.

I also have both of my grandfathers checking in on me from time to time. One of them smoked a pipe and the other cigars - both the pipe tobacco and the cigars were very, very unique and uncommon. Every now and then I'll get in my car, or be driving, and that scent will waft through the car. I've also smelled them both in my house, which I moved into last year...they've both been gone now for 13 and 14 years respectively. It's very, very comforting to me as I was very close to them.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson