The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charcoal fluid for clipper blades

I bought some charcoal lighter fluid to use as a clipper blade wash this morning. I googled some more about it when I got to the barn and read some comments (I think on this board) about possible sparks and explosions using the lighter fluid.

Should I continue to be freaked out and take the lighter fluid back? Has anyone used it with success?

I would use a product designed for the job at hand.

I have heard of kerosene but not lighter fluid. Not sure what the difference would be...

Quote Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
    I have heard of kerosene but not lighter fluid. Not sure what the difference would be...
    They will both ignite pretty easily, so there is no difference. They make several things to lubricate your clippers where there is no risk of setting you or your horse ablaze. I would suggest keeping the lighter fluid for the BBQ and get something designed for your clippers.

Even blade wash is flammable, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Yes, charcoal lighter will ignite, but not explosively so like gasoline.

I've always used charcoal lighter (petroleum distillates, same as blade wash) to clean clipper blades. Just use a small quantity, such as a couple of tablespoons.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerLabel View Post
    Even blade wash is flammable, so I'm not sure what the difference is. Yes, charcoal lighter will ignite, but not explosively so like gasoline.

I've always used charcoal lighter (petroleum distillates, same as blade wash) to clean clipper blades. Just use a small quantity, such as a couple of tablespoons.
    Woud you use it in the same way as blade wash? Meaning, pour some in a plastic bowl and dip the blades in running?

Love the stuff. I squirt it over the running blades periodically as I'm clipping. You can hear the blades work easier. Since I've been using it, my blades seem to last forever.