The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket-buying season: Help me find a neck cover?

It doesn't have to be lined, but should be waterproof.

Preferably green.

Have you seen a source of these in your internet travels?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

What kind of attachment? Schneider's had some a couple of weeks ago, but they attach with clips and rings, not velcro.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

^^^

I don't even know.

Horseling is on the opposite coast and I am a Hood Virgin. Be gentle.

I think his blankets have strategically-placed D-rings, so it doesn't matter whether the hood attaches with velcro or clips, right? Are you saying that there are some that attach via velcro alone? That seems like a bad plan.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

In case you can't find what you are looking for, I recently read an article in the horse journal that said hoods really aren't necessary no matter where your horse lives.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    In case you can't find what you are looking for, I recently read an article in the horse journal that said hoods really aren't necessary no matter where your horse lives.
    I know! I'm all about outfitting Momma's Precious Pookah, but the neck thing seemed a "beyond" and PITA thing.

However, Horseling has ensnared another person in his web of self-servingness. He's in CT (where, I might add, it has decided to snow again, mid-March). Apparently, someone lent him a neck cover and then he decided that he liked that better than his neck getting wet and water running down his shoulders.

Seriously? The horse has White People's Problems, but he has gotten someone else to care about fixing them. So here I am.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I know! I'm all about outfitting Momma's Precious Pookah, but the neck thing seemed a "beyond" and PITA thing.

However, Horseling has ensnared another person in his web of self-servingness. He's in CT (where, I might add, it has decided to snow again, mid-March). Apparently, someone lent him a neck cover and then he decided that he liked that better than his neck getting wet and water running down his shoulders.

Seriously? The horse has White People's Problems, but he has gotten someone else to care about fixing them. So here I am.
    MVP,

You know you have to share a picture after all of that gushing and carrying on, right?

Sorry, I can't help you w/ hoods. I got one on eBay for my older mare, and while it was the warmest, snuggliest thing and also covered half the face (eye holes and everything), it was not waterproof, and it did not fit. Apparently, it was a stable hood vs. a turnout hood - though why a horse inside in a stall would be wearing arctic headgear, I don't know. Also, it is hideous

I would recommend Schneiders, though. The quality and durability are very good.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I got one made by Weaver for my guy since he's clipped. It's not a full hood, just covers the neck. I've been really pleased with it. My boys are really hard on their clothes, and the fact that it's still intact is pretty amazing (it's a little over two years old). It has a clip to attach over the withers, and a velcro strap on each side. The velcro has only come undone once that I can recall.

For the record, my guy wears a large and is 16.2 and a 78"... his is green

It's the only brand I've got experience with as far as neck covers go.

Aren't y'all afraid of the full SCUBA mask for a horse turned out?

it would suck indeed if he got his head caught on something. But the dirt involved might suck, too.

And what if his eyes and ears are in the wrong place, like an alien?

I'll work on pictures. I don't think he's proud of the outfits momma puts him in.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

OP, find out how far apart the D rings are on the turnout and call Schneider's about the spacing. I'm not sure if they still have them, but they are definitely waterproof. My very spoiled senior, almost ancient pony boarder loves his. I've found I can blanket him more lightly if he's wearing the neck cover.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

What brand blanket are you attaching the hood to? That will help

I'm not a big fan of the full head cover hoods. Have seen too many horses rub and shift them so the eye and ear holes wind up in the wrong place and the pony is blind. Far prefer the simple neck cover dealies.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    What brand blanket are you attaching the hood to? That will help

I'm not a big fan of the full head cover hoods. Have seen too many horses rub and shift them so the eye and ear holes wind up in the wrong place and the pony is blind. Far prefer the simple neck cover dealies.
    Thank God that thing didn't fit my poor old girl. I was going to say that she is very calm, so that probably wouldn't happen. But, then I remembered how I came out one morning to find her naked and her blanket inside out w/ the one of the front blanket clips clipped to the fence. I still cannot fathom how she extricated herself from it and survived the ordeal unscathed.

So, definitely skip the hood thing.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

I have the Schneider's neck cover that I attach to my horse's Schneiders blankets. They come in sheet weight and blanket weight (both water proof).

Brand would be very helpful. Horsewear neck covers use 4 velcro tabs, two on each side of the neck. I have this set-up with an Amigo 1200D turnout, and have never had a problem.

Weatherbeeta, Dover, and several other brands have a snap to a D-ring at the top of the withers and velcro tabs to either D-rings or a nylon loop on each side of the neck. In my experience, these seem to flip up at the withers most.

Schneider's has two sets of D-rings on each side of the neck, with snaps on the neck cover. DO NOT get me started that they only offer a 200g lined neck cover, but put the D-rings on their sheets. If they have the attachments on an unlined sheet, you'd think they would offer an unlined neck cover! Sorry, off my soapbox now...

Anyway, it depends on what attachment set up your blanket has, because the different brands do not cross over well.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

MVP, I am not very knowledgeable about hoods, either. I decided I wanted to get one for my horse and was so overwhelmed about the fits, styles, and compatibility factor with her existing blanket that I went out and bought a whole new blanket that came WITH the hood so I knew it would all work together. Hubby said, "What's wrong with her other blanket?" and I mumbled something about tears in the lining and made sure to use scary words like denier...uhh right...

Spoiled rotten, that horse.

1 members found this post helpful.